PDA

View Full Version : Auto-Response frame lovers!

cledford
05-20-2004, 11:21 AM
Anyone still play around with one of these? I know that technically they are banned from most fields (kinda silly with bouncing Timmys and Tippmann machineguns) but they are still fun for "backyard" plinking and wasting paint :)

The AR frame is probably my favorite piece of AGD/AGD related memorabilia - I'm hoping there are others out there with the same passion! We should start a group like the original RT Owners and others. The AR frame is one of the coolest products ever - and even Tom says that he would have put his down if they hadn't made them illegal!

I need to get off my duff and rig my old mag up with an AIR/LX combo and see how the old AR works on that puppy. Another good one would be a RT valve with ULT and LX. I tried the AR a few years back with the standard ReTro - but it sucked. Something about the RT effect really screwed up how the frame worked - basically it didn't I'm wondering now if there may have been a on/off length issue - but doubt it.

Anyone try any of this lately?

Post here if you are an AR lover, owner, or user! Let's get some talk going on this infamous piece of AGD history!

BTW, I've got the original AR technical video that shipped with the frame - lot's of cool old school footage there! Anyone else remember watching it?

Here is a link to Tom's thoughts on the AR:

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=57634&highlight=response

Here is a link to a video of Tom "mowing the lawn" with his (goto about 2:36 for best look at Tom using the AR - although it is in operation the entire video):

http://www.automags.org/~TomAGD/Kaye.wmv <http://www.automags.org/%7ETomAGD/Kaye.wmv>

-Calvin

P.S. Why am I doing this? I'm bored at work :D Also, as part of an Automag "theory & operation" lecture to a new mag owner on Tuesday evening I pulled the old AR out for show & tell and got excited all over again!

Koosh
05-20-2004, 11:39 AM
I used a warped AR frame on my classic mag for 9 months before I decided that I'd like to be able to use my gun at normal feilds instead of just scenario/outlaw ball games.

It does indeed rock. I have a video of me ripping on mine, but nowhere to host it (It's only 775k too!).

I sold it a few months ago and use an intelliframe and a hyper that I need to get a ULT for. My long term plan is to get another one eventually, but I probably won't be able to soon.

I originally had problems getting my warp to work right with the AR frame/mag. Either the sensitivity was way too high, or way too low, I just couldn't get it right. The perfect solution? Intellifeed it! After finding the right placement, all it took was a little epoxy to get the job done. Check it out:

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=105620

Evil Bob
05-20-2004, 11:43 AM
The AR had a very unique sound to it, if you listen closely, you can tell the difference between the trigger pull and the trigger return.

I remember seeing the AR for the first time in 1992 in France, my first thought was "damn, that's fast!" Fortunately, the team we played against hadn't been using them for very long, they had just had them mounted the day before the tourny, so they were not used to the volume of paint they could put out, they would empty their hoppers and chop left and right, so the tactic of the day was to draw their fire (give them something to shoot at) and count their shots, once they got around 150 downrange or stopped to swab their gun, we'd rush them.

-Evil Bob

Muzikman
05-20-2004, 12:10 PM
I got one. It's currently on my Micromag and I have never actually used it in a game, it's it's part of my collection. Any chance I can get a copy of the tech video?;)

ClassicMagger
05-20-2004, 12:22 PM
Same here. One is a part of my collection as well. A video would definately be a cool thing to have around.

ClassicMagger

cledford
05-20-2004, 12:46 PM
I got one. It's currently on my Micromag and I have never actually used it in a game, it's it's part of my collection. Any chance I can get a copy of the tech video?;)

Well, now that you mention it - you're the video guy :) Can you get it converted to a digital format and post it somewhere? I'd be more then happy to send it to you - just PM address. Otherwise, I'll still send it - you can copy it - I don't even have a VCR anymore.

-Calvin

Muzikman
05-20-2004, 03:22 PM
Sure...PM sent, I can convert it to digital.

HOMOCIDAL2
05-20-2004, 11:03 PM
I own, love and use two of them, I have the video too, but I have to watch it on my son's tv, which has the only vcr in the house. I would love to get it on disc. I would also like to get the proline slick barrell too if anybody's got one.

t33kyboy
05-20-2004, 11:07 PM
Tom Kaye looks so young in that video.

coolcatpete
05-21-2004, 09:12 AM
Anyone know where I could pick one of these up.
Pete

coolcatpete
05-21-2004, 09:12 AM
Tom Kaye looks so young in that video.
still does reletive to his age.
Pete