PDA

View Full Version : satellite radio

i_baked_cookies
05-20-2004, 08:48 PM
ive been looking into a good birthday present for me, and ive decided that satellite radio would be a good gift.

first off, im going to go with sirius, because the majority of people ive asked said sirius over xm

i need to know how the whole hook-it-up-in-the-car thing works. all i know is that i dont want to spend alot of money i was looking at those all-in-one, plug and play things, because of the price. but im not sure if you need to buy a tuner with that or what. i know you need an antenna, but how does that hook up to the all-in-one unit. also, how does all this hook up to your stereo system when your speakers are hooked to my stock volvo headunit. also, where does that all-in-one face unit or whatever go? im sorta confused, so if someone can give me the whole shebang, thatll be greatly appreciated. oh yea, obvioulsy im not installing this myself, the only place i know of that will do it is best buy.

RobAGD
05-21-2004, 02:05 AM
It all comes down to the unit you buy.

There are some that if you do not have an AUX jack in your cars headunit you get whats called an FM transmitter version that will transmitt at very low power to a 88.x station.

If you have an AUX jack then you can just plug it in and select source and have the Sat radio pipe through yur cars system.

Dont forget youhav eto pay a month sub fee $6-$15 a month for your service.

Something I was looking into was using my laptop and a USB XM reciver to run in my jeep :) The PC software seem to be damn cool and allows lots more control and I am guessing that you can kinda tivo programs if you set it up right.

just do a lot of reading and check out the user fourms and see what they are talking about.

-R