PDA

View Full Version : Rolex Watch

MadChild
05-20-2004, 11:12 PM
how can you tell wheather a Rolex watch is fake or not?

Target Practice
05-20-2004, 11:20 PM
If you paid $30 for it, it's fake.

Miscue
05-20-2004, 11:37 PM
If you paid $30 for it, it's fake.

LOL!

SpecialBlend2786
05-20-2004, 11:39 PM
put it underwater. usually fake watches will have water condensation on the inner glass.

Also, check to see if it is mineral glass, the kind that wont scratch.

But then again.....who cares if it's fake as long as nobody knows ;)

MadChild
05-20-2004, 11:39 PM
ha i know that much, but i didnt pay for it, my step dad got it for me in china from some secret thing. you never know about those chinese.....

SpecialBlend2786
05-20-2004, 11:41 PM
ha i know that much, but i didnt pay for it, my step dad got it for me in china from some secret thing. you never know about those chinese.....
hahaha well, there's your red flag right there!

AcemanPB
05-20-2004, 11:45 PM
Do Rolex's make a ticking noise? Hell, who cares if it fake, just tell everyone it's real ;)

MadChild
put it underwater. usually fake watches will have water condensation on the inner glass.

will it get messed up if i put it under water?

Restola
Take it to a pawn shop, or any reputable jeweler that sells Rolexs.

I'll ask at work tomorrow too (I work for the largest jewelery company in the world, and we sell them).

MadChild
05-20-2004, 11:48 PM
haha ill just tell everyone its a end-of-the-9th-grade gift

MadChild
05-20-2004, 11:51 PM
the date thing on it works, i dunno if that has anything to do with it being real but i had another watch and it was fake and the date thing on it didnt do anything, it was just for looks i guess

SpecialBlend2786
05-21-2004, 12:37 AM
will it get messed up if i put it under water?

My dad bought a seiko off of some guy on the street. It kept perfect time and everything. However he did the dishes one night and there as condensation aroud the inner glass. That wouldnt happen if the watch was a well made seiko that was rated to go underwater...

probably wont stop the watch from working. It should still work, but if it gets really messed up or even if you see something suspicious, then you know it aint no rolex

RT pRo AuToMaG
05-21-2004, 12:54 AM
rolexes dont' tick, the second hand should move smoothly, it shouldn't stop.

Steelrat
05-21-2004, 12:57 AM
Sweep hand-the second hand, or "sweep hand" should move in tiny movements, not large jerky movements or one continuous smooth movement.

Stamping-should have the rolex crown on the back case

Packaging-all Rolex watches come with a serial number

Material-in addition to the aforementioned mineral glass, check the material used to make the case. I have seen someone try to pass brass off as gold. Gold should be bright and shiny, and the case should be finely polished stainless steel. Also, the "oyster" watches like the submariner and such are essentially milled out of a solid piece of stainless steel, and so the case should look like one piece, with a screw on back plate

clasp-clasp mechanism should have the rolex crown stamped in it

Time adjustment dial-On most Rolex watches, this is actually a very important part. Ithas multiple o-rings inside it to keep the water out. You need to actually rotate it to unscrew it, then use a bit of force to pull it out. If the Rolex in question has the date function, then you should be able to pull the dial out to two different positions; one to adjust the date, and one to adjus the time.

Luminous dials-Real Rolex uses tritium, which looks white on the face, and glows green in the dark. Ive seen fakes that use the green light-absorbing crap, that looks green in the light, and glows green in the dark. The Rolex also surrounds the tritium with fine steel rings.

Bezel-Some Rolex watches, like the submariner, use a bezel with numbers on it, that rotates in one direction, for divers to use to monitor their air supply. Some are stainless, some are half red and half blue, some might be other colors.

Hope that helps.

MadChild
05-21-2004, 01:38 PM
wow its definatly fake :( oh well it still looks kool, thanx steelrat

ShooterJM
05-21-2004, 02:03 PM
my step dad got it for me in china

hehehehe say no more......

Bad_Knees
05-21-2004, 02:30 PM
Just also want to add a few more things to his description:

Time adjustment know should have the Rolex Symbol on the end of it as well as once the knob is screwed in to create the water tight seal the symbol should be properly oriented (they make these watches by hand so they put that amount of detail into it).

As well as the watch band should have identical numbers at both ends connecting to the Oyster case.

I notice on the newer ones they no longer stamp the back covers of the oyster case, they just come with a nice removable sticker. And of course the boxes they come in are collectors items as well.

BK

Steelrat
05-21-2004, 05:06 PM
Just also want to add a few more things to his description:

Time adjustment know should have the Rolex Symbol on the end of it as well as once the knob is screwed in to create the water tight seal the symbol should be properly oriented (they make these watches by hand so they put that amount of detail into it).

As well as the watch band should have identical numbers at both ends connecting to the Oyster case.

I notice on the newer ones they no longer stamp the back covers of the oyster case, they just come with a nice removable sticker. And of course the boxes they come in are collectors items as well.

BK

Right, forgot about the crown on the adjuster. And the packaging IS nice ;)

MadChild
05-22-2004, 01:26 AM
ill take pictures of it and put it on the site just in case....u never know

Army
05-22-2004, 03:22 AM
The ICDC and locals sell them like bottled water here. The good ones go for $35-70, the cheesy Japanese ones are around $20, his/her sets are $70.

A real Rolex will have four "clicks" per second, rather than just one for a normal watch. The good fakes here do have 4 clicks.

The good fakes will also sell in the US for over $200...which will be a nice profit when I get home:D