PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use window tint on Goggles before?

Ratzo
05-21-2004, 09:40 PM
I've got a buddy at work who wants a tinted lens, but is to cheap to buy a tinted lens for his VForce Basic mask.
He painted the mask a metalic cherry and wants to put on some chrome tint that he's got laying around.
He had asked me if window tint would work but I've got no clue,
Does anyone know if it will affect the lens in anyway or if it will even stick.
Personally I'm waiting for my yellow Profiler to come in.

i_baked_cookies
05-21-2004, 09:49 PM
i would really recommend against that. chances are that it will reduce the strength of the lens or do something to hinder its ability to stop paintballs. dont do it just to be on the safe side.

DiSoRdeR
05-21-2004, 10:10 PM
Just get some skinz,
http://www.goggleskinz.com/

HOMOCIDAL2
05-21-2004, 11:36 PM
i would really recommend against that. chances are that it will reduce the strength of the lens or do something to hinder its ability to stop paintballs. dont do it just to be on the safe side.

Thats crazy!!!! The only question would be if the adhesive would stick. The film would make the lens safer, if anything at all. Have you ever seen a rock thrown at a tinted window on a car?

LittlePaintballBoy
05-21-2004, 11:43 PM
Thats a car window, how do you know it would have the same effect to plastic lenses?

HOMOCIDAL2
05-21-2004, 11:50 PM
Because, if the lens cracked on impact, like they have done in the past, the film will hold it together, Don't forget bullet proof windows are made out of lexan too, and what makes them bullet proof is the laminating.

-=Squid=-
05-22-2004, 12:20 AM
Get off of it... window tint wouldnt affect safety. :rolleyes:

davidnj
05-22-2004, 03:58 AM
Get off of it... window tint wouldnt affect safety. :rolleyes:

While the chances of the window tint adhesive having a negative effect on the plastic lens are probably not that high, it is possible. What company makes the window tint? A quick email to them will most likely get the type of adhesive and if its safe on the lens. But it's sorta silly to come here and ask if the tint will affect the lens and then ' :rolleyes: ' the people that say it might reduce the strength of the lens, no?

azza
05-22-2004, 04:01 AM
Id say check the packaging that the tint came in, as depending on the type of adhesive that's used could cause the potential for them to fail.
Only reason I say this is due to that most motorcycle and even bycycle helmuts ive seen, have warnings that adhesive stickers can damage the plastic on them unless they are designed to be put on them.

But you raise an interesting question, 'cos Ive been tempted to use window tint too, but never got round to it.

Cheers
Azza

shorty13
05-22-2004, 06:28 AM
i agree with i baked cookies it doesnt sound that safe good idea bit not really i think it would be easier in the long run to try and find the tint lens

notcreative
05-22-2004, 02:48 PM
it WONT effect the safety of the goggles it might make them stronger but, i dooubt you can get them to stick the way you want them to Window Tint is made for GLASS not plastic you mite get it to work right but prolly wont do the best of job.

davidnj
05-22-2004, 08:24 PM
it WONT effect the safety of the goggles it might make them stronger but, i dooubt you can get them to stick the way you want them to Window Tint is made for GLASS not plastic you mite get it to work right but prolly wont do the best of job.

How can you say it won't have an impact on the goggles safety without knowing the type of adhesive used on the tint?

magmonkey
05-22-2004, 09:07 PM
or you could spend $30 to buy a set of tinted lenses and not worry about the adhesive having a negitave effect on a crucial piece of saftey equiptment
just my .02

coolcatpete
05-22-2004, 10:18 PM
I think that it could in no way hinder the preformance of the lence however it may screw with distortions and your seeing ability, I would not do this and just buy skinz for cheap and we alredy know those work.
Pete

soccer4minimags
05-23-2004, 12:22 AM
well, if you had a thermal lense it would never actually touch the part of the lense that gives it strenght. The thermal does nothing for the lense so you probably won't affect it.

On the other hand, doesn't it require a heat gun to get the tint to stick? That would not be good for the lense.

Overall I would say it isn't a good idea, like everyone else has posted. You just don't mess with lenses, its your eyes were talking about here you only get one set of those. So do yourself a favor and don't be so cheap. Buy a new lense, if you look hard enough you are bound to find one the style you're looking for. It sounds like your describing "platinum" tint. If thats the case just get one of those JT ones they make similar to that. Problem solved.

soccer4minimags
05-23-2004, 12:24 AM
Also look into those peel-off things jt used to make for goggles. they attached to the outside of the lense and after you were through you just peeled it off. The idea was to keep the lense clean and scratch free because all the stuff would happen to these peel off things. I don't know if you can still get these, but it wouldn't hurt to search or call up JT.