PDA

View Full Version : adding more shims to ult

zacbot
05-23-2004, 08:21 AM
what excally does it do for you...make it "harder" to short stroke..or just make the pull that much easier..and..where could i get some extra shims..tuna?..

jwalker87
05-23-2004, 10:10 AM
you can use lvl x shims; they're just twice the thickness as the ULT shims so take that into consideration. I just asked this q, and the answer I got was that it adjusts the timing for when the on/off opens and closes. You just use it to adjust the feel of the trigger to what you want it to be.

the electrician
05-23-2004, 12:38 PM
here's an explanation I wrote, in another thread, on the purpose and use of ULT shims:

the whole thing with the shims in the ULT is to fine tune it to your particular marker. you see the hole in the valve that the on/off goes into, is is not always exactly the same. it's about.790" deep, +/- a few thousandths.

normally when you gas up the marker, the on/off and the double o-rings on top of it are pushed down by the input/operating psi, a few thousandths of an inch. it kinda moves down with the pin for a bit. the on/off stops when the bottom of it hits and rests against the inside of the body. the center o-ring of the double o-rings on top, is the one that seals the on/off pin, when you pull the trigger. since this o-ring sealing surface has been able to move down. the top of the pin goes in, more than it has too, past the seal. this reduces recharge rate.

by putting the shims in the ULT, you are making it longer and making the o-ring, that seals the top of the pin, stay up higher. so when you let go of the trigger, the pin comes down and lets air through to the dump chamber as soon as it can, without causing problems. problems would be runaway or, if you are using a LVL10, you might notice that when it pinches a ball, the bolt does not want to reset properly.(I'll explain this in the last paragraph below)

the shims go inbetween the two halves of the on/off. they sit on top of the o-ring, then screw the two halves together. (don't forget to put the little tiny black o-ring in inside the bottom of the top half of the on/off) load it up with shims if you are using a classic valve. you will probably be able to make the on/off so long that it fill up the whole on/off hole in the valve and barely fits in the body.check for runaway and check to make sure your LVL10 still resets properly.

personally , I use soft buna-n o-ring in my on/off and in the lvl10. much less friction than those hard o-rings. this can help recharge rate too. BUT it can only be done if your running air.

now, about the LVL symptom that can occur if the ULT has too many shims:

this is because the bolts movement was slowed way down by the pinched ball, and the sear comes up to reset and hits the bolt in mid stroke and cannot reset. if the pin is letting air in with the sear in this halfway position, it will not let the bolt reset properly. so if the LVL10 was working fine before the ULT install, then doesn't want to reset properly, you might be trying to use too many shims. take one out and try it again.
This usually is not a problem, this really is only a problem with electro-frames and posibly a really reactive RT.
but I wanted to bring it up, because otherwise you might think there is something wrong with your lvl10 when your out on the field.