PDA

View Full Version : Explain shot buffering to me...

staticpike
05-24-2004, 10:13 AM
Can someone explain shot buffering to me? I have the option of shot buffering on my new X-Mag (0-100 in 2pt increments) but I really have no concept of what it is doing or how to make it work for me. A lengthy explaination is preffered, but this is my first high-end marker and I'm trying to tune it in.

Thanks in adavance! :o

Vanced
05-24-2004, 10:26 AM
You are probably better off getting a lengthly explination from one of the experts .. but my quick definition is ...

Shot buffering just makes sure you get a ball for every trigger pull...
Ex. If you twitch your fingers extra quick for some reason and it would typically be too fast for the gun to typically reconize the extra shot... Shot buffering will see it and hold it in a que for you to fire it at the next available gap in the firing pattern...

Hope that is at least close to corrent and close to what you wanted to know...

Bolter
05-24-2004, 10:34 AM
it works like the was boards did as far as I can see.

Anyway, shot buffering works like this, when you walk the trigger with the eye on, normally, you will pull the trigger a number of times and the gun would say
"hey there is no ball on the eye"
"hey theres a ball FIRE!"
The gun would normally discard the pulls that resulted in no ball. With shot buffering the shot is stored up and at the next available chance it gets it fires that shot for you. Leaving you with one pull, one ball, and a lovely uniform string of shots.

Make sure you have a decent loader.........

RES=Mr.Green
05-24-2004, 10:43 AM
Another way to think of it is. Your over shooting your hopper. Your shooting 15bps and your hopper can only handle 13bps. You slow down on the bps and the Shot buffering has in memory that you had 10 no shots. It will maintain the maz rof until the 10 shots are gone or you stop fireing. It's just like a cache on a computer.

lord1234
05-24-2004, 11:03 AM
except that SHBF is a trigger cache...not a hopper cache...lets say you have your gun set at 20bps. On 1.37 Emag software(or 2.4 software for Xmags), the gun would have registered every shot ever 1/20th of a second..and only then...that means that if you managed to pull at 1/20th, and then managed to pull the trigger again in 1/21th of a second the pull woudl have been ignored. It waited till 1/20th of a second had elapsed...with shot buffering it BUFFERS the shots...and fires them every 1/20th of a second(this is all based at 20 bps rate on ur gun).

Questions?

pm me.

--Lord1234

Dayspring
05-24-2004, 11:17 AM
Actually...

The SHBF setting is the time the gun is going to wait after a firing cycle has started vefore it starts looking for another trigger pull. (That's why we had the full auto issues b/c the gun was looking for shots while the solenoid was still on. In the 1.x and 2.x softwares, the HES would look for the shot after the 30ms solenoid "ON" time was completed.)

So if it's a SHBF of 4, it's going to wait ~4ms and then look for another trigger pull. 3.2 saves 1 shot into the buffer. No more than that. It then fires that shot after the current firing cycle is complete.

staticpike
05-24-2004, 02:20 PM
Excellent, so whats the drawback to lower my SHBF to "0" thus saying 'as soon as you have a ball shoot'? Will doing this have any sort of adverse reaction on the gun?

I'm running a Halo B, 3.2 software, 20 bps max, and I keep the eye on. I know I'm not pulling the trigger fast enough to warrant 20bps, but I like knowing it's available as I get better with it.

RES=Mr.Green
05-25-2004, 12:30 AM
With a belt driven hopper like the HALO. I personally don't belive that the shotbuffer matters. So unless you mod'ed the e-mag board to shoot faster then 20bps at full-auto or change the hopper to a gravity feed. You should be good to go for any setting.

Chojin Man
05-25-2004, 12:45 AM
So is it the same thing as dwell time? :confused:

RES=Mr.Green
05-25-2004, 02:35 AM
MMM no dwell plays in to messing around with high/low pressure and timing of the marker.

The posts are pretty self explanatory you miss a shot due to no ball it will shoot an extra ball as soon as it gets a chance.

Miscue
05-25-2004, 08:40 AM
With a belt driven hopper like the HALO. I personally don't belive that the shotbuffer matters. So unless you mod'ed the e-mag board to shoot faster then 20bps at full-auto or change the hopper to a gravity feed. You should be good to go for any setting.

Without a shot buffer, trigger pulls that go beyond your max ROF are ignored. For instance, if your max is set to 8, and you are pulling at 10, your actual ROF would be somewhere between 6-8bps roughly because of the ignored pulls. You cannot hit 8bps exactly, unless your trigger pulls are EXACTLY 125ms apart. Adding in ace logic so that the marker waits up to 1/4 second or so for a ball to show up in the breech - is an extension to shot buffering. And yeah, it's not super valuable to have when you have a force feed loader. But as far as getting your ROF high, shot buffering is important.

Miltonyz
05-25-2004, 08:55 AM
Why not just set the bps limit high enough that shot buffering is not needed in the first place?

Miscue
05-25-2004, 09:01 AM
Why not just set the bps limit high enough that shot buffering is not needed in the first place?

The problem is that, the marker mechanically has a finite max ROF... related with the cycle time. So even if you set the max ROF to unlimited on the board, if you pull faster than the marker can shoot - obviously you lose shots once again. But yeah, if the markers had 0 cycle time - then an unlimited ROF cap would remove all need for a shot buffer.

Miltonyz
05-25-2004, 09:07 AM
That kinda makes sense for the emag line since the solenoid caps them at around 20 bps. Some people claim to be able to pull the trigger faster then that and for the sake of an argument I'll pretend to believe them. But what about guns like the viking were we've seen videos of them going at 30 cps. It seems to me that a gun like that would not need shot buffering. It sounds something like the debounce setting on guns. Something that sounds honest in theory but actually makes it easier for manufactures to cheat.

Dayspring
05-25-2004, 09:08 AM
There is no SHBF of 0.

It's 4-100. In E mode, you can usually get away with a SHBF of 4. In hybrid though, you gotta run above 20 otherwise the thing will bounce like crazy.

Excellent, so whats the drawback to lower my SHBF to "0" thus saying 'as soon as you have a ball shoot'? Will doing this have any sort of adverse reaction on the gun?

Miscue
05-25-2004, 09:20 AM
That kinda makes sense for the emag line since the solenoid caps them at around 20 bps. Some people claim to be able to pull the trigger faster then that and for the sake of an argument I'll pretend to believe them. But what about guns like the viking were we've seen videos of them going at 30 cps. It seems to me that a gun like that would not need shot buffering. It sounds something like the debounce setting on guns. Something that sounds honest in theory but actually makes it easier for manufactures to cheat.

Well, cps is cheating to some degree - you're not putting a load on the marker. It's like lifting a car off its wheels, watching how fast the tires spin, and expecting this to reveal something about the car's performance.

Yeah, somewhere just over 20bps is about as fast as the solenoid plunger can move back and forth in a full stroke. This requires higher input pressure as well to kick it back harder. I keep it at 20bps, and it's stupid fast... it actually shoots 20bps. A lot of markers that display 24bps or so... are actually hitting 17-18 roughly.