PDA

View Full Version : Project Van: '88 E350

theraidenproject
05-24-2004, 03:41 PM
EDIT - I had the year right, but the model wrong. It is an '88 Ford E150 Diesel, not a 350. Confirmed condition a few posts below. Pics to come.

My friends and I have a sometimes running 1988 Ford E150 diesel and $6k (kindlly donated by one friend's parents who think it's a good project for us) to pimp it out (and get it working, haha). The goal is shock value and pimpness. Budget is about $1k for audio, I already got the cheap but loud audio system spec'd out from Overstock.com with 2 12" subs whatever other speakers will fit in the doors, the cheapest amp to run it, a DVD head unit, two headrest monitors, and a sun visor monitor.
For interior we're doing probably shag carpet or fur or something pimp like that. I figure that cost is maybe $50 in fabric so it doesn't even factor in. We got enough old furniture and couches to fit in the inside.
It is white, with a little rust, but we are spray-painting it flat black.
For exterior looks, we're gettin a $70 ebay spoiler, maybe a brush guard if there's money left over, the cheapest safari lights (broken ones even, just to look good)
Cheap 20s go for ~$600 on ebay, so figure $1k total for tires. I'm having trouble finding rims (and anything else for that matter) that fit this model. I finally found this info for the rims:
1/2 TON E-100,150 VAN
year 70-96
15 X 6
5X139.7
1/2-RH
Low Offset or RWD (Rear Wheel Drive) Typically 0 offset

What else can we do to make it loud and cool? And if it doesn't end up running reliable enough, how much for the cheapest crate engine possible? Worst case scenario we'd have to spend the parents' $6k on getting it running, and scraping together $200 for a cheap amp and 8" sub. I'm pretty sure the tranny and everything else is fine. I'll get pix as soon as possible. Let me know what you think, and some info on this model, or where to get stuff for it, thanks.

theraidenproject
05-24-2004, 03:55 PM
Just found these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43958&item=2479205728&rd=1
Could someone let me know if these would fit?

Can't forget the airhorn!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33704&item=2479195100&rd=1

TecnoRobo
05-24-2004, 05:44 PM
omg... my class was gonna do that exact same thing, no joke
Thats all we've talked about except we were gonna buy a short bus and do it.

i wish you best of luck, as we couldnt get funds
if it happens, i must have pics haha

ZSigErik
05-24-2004, 05:53 PM
yes, we MUST have pics for this Galla of Events!!!

theraidenproject
05-24-2004, 06:07 PM
I'll get pix as soon as possible. I talked to my friend who's yard is were the van is sitting. He says it runs, just needs a new battery, and the shocks are way too soft from sitting with a load for YEARS. Now comes the fun part: ORDERING FUN BUT USELESS STUFF.

PyRo
05-24-2004, 07:56 PM
You need a disco ball in the back :)

Tunaman
05-24-2004, 08:31 PM
Do the engine first. Get some oil filters, air filters, 5 gallon bucket of oil. Do the injectors, do the coolers, change the belts. Spend a grand at least.

PyRo
05-24-2004, 09:36 PM
Use Mobile 1 full synthetic. :)

Fred
05-25-2004, 01:38 PM
You need a disco ball in the back :)

I second that...

and instead of the rattle can paint job, give it the Maco special in the wierdest color they have... and then a racing stripe... like lime green with a purple stripe... lol...

joez
05-26-2004, 10:23 AM
Use Mobile 1 full synthetic. :)

That is about the worst thing you could do to that motor. For several reasons Anyone here who owns/has owned an 80's IDI Diesel, be it a ford 6.9/7.3 or a GM 6.2 knows what i am talking about.

1. That oil is rated S, for spark, you need oil rated for C, compression.
1.a These motors were Very sooty, C oils have special detergents and agents in them to controll the soot.

2. Do not run any synthetic in that motor. Even if its rated for C. Synthetic oil by nature is much thinner/slicker than dino juice. These older motors depend on thick oil to seal the rings and valve guides. You run synthetic expect engine life to be cut by about 1/4 and oil consumption to go through the roof, upwards of 1qt every 100 miles. Take my advice, run shell Rotella T 15w-40, best diesel oil out there for the IDI motors of the 80's.

Have the injectors rebuilt, and if the pump needs it, do that too. I had my injectors done for $175 for all 8, and had my pump done previously for ~$225. I would never have done injectors if i hadnt had my pump rebuilt to my specs. The injectors i had just couldnt handle the increased fuel and pressure.

Just whatever yuo do, Please do not put 20's on it. If anything spend $1500 and throw a turbo kit on that motor, and go for the A-Team style van. You could hot-rod that motor to give you decent power, plus would give a nice smokescreen behind you when you mash it :D