PDA

View Full Version : Regulator Leak

scrumpy
05-24-2004, 04:07 PM
okay, here's the deal: I bought a PBN2 tank about a year ago and it worked fine up until my last fill. Now it's lost 1000 psi in the past few, so I put the reg in some water to find out where the leaks are. I found one around the LP burst disc, the HP burst disc, the regulator threading, and a small hole in the top section of the reg. These leaks are very small, each bubble is about this big: O and they come out at like 3 bps. Here is an illustrated picture of what i'm talking about. Does anyone know how to fix it? or is this normal (I'm pretty sure it's not, but the guy at the proshop says differently).

Muzikman
05-24-2004, 04:38 PM
The leak around the guage would be fixed by taking off the guage and teflon taping it (or using the thread sealing Loctite 545). The leak in the LP and HP burst disk could be fixed by replacing the disks and snugging down on the nuts (do not over tighten and do not use any kind of sealent. The vent hole might not be easily fixed...it sounds to me like some sort of reg seat is bad...but I have no idea what the internals of that reg look like.

scrumpy
05-24-2004, 04:44 PM
Okay, so I don't kill myself while trying to fix this thing. After its empty of course I should: Take off the burst disks and replace them with new ones, but don't use any loctite or teflong tape, and take off the guage and put on new teflon tape or loctite. Any tips on taking the guage off? Thanks

Muzikman
05-24-2004, 04:58 PM
Correct...empty tank first;)

To take the guage off will depend on if it's a micro guage or a full sized one. If it is full sided, there should be a spot behind the guage that you can put a wrench on. If it's a micro, there will be flat spots on the guage it's self that you use a wrench on.