PDA

View Full Version : High Flow vs High Recharge Regs...

Butterfingers
05-24-2004, 10:23 PM
Some observations today when testing my 2 tanks...

There is a difference between high flow and high recharge. Some companies like to use this interchangably. Although they are related they are diffrent.

The test...

AA Raptor Rex 4500

vs.

Centerflag 200 (Same internals as ALL Centerflag Adjustables.)

The dyno:

Automag RTP, LX, Input 1000 psi from both tanks. Chronoed at 250fps. Hooked to a gauge 0-1200 range. ROF ~23 bps give or take.

The centerflag reg I have concluded is a high FLOW reg. It however has a slower RECHARGE than the AA.

Under Rapidfire conditions the automag RT produced a drop of 200 psi from 1000 psi as indicated by the gauge. When the gun got going the pressure dropped and STAYED at 800 psi. Until I stopped shooting then the gauge went back to 1000 psi. At no time did the pressure drop below 800 psi from my observations.

The AA reg is a high RECHARGE reg. It however has a lesser immediate FLOW than the Centerflag reg.

Under rapidfire at 1000 psi. The gauge jumped between 600 and 1000 psi with every shot. It was bouncing around like a tennis ball. The reg never STAYED at lower than output setting. The reg ALWAYS fully recovered from each shot to 1000 psi BEFORE the next shot was fired.

Conclusions.

The RECAHRGE rate of the AA was much faster than the centerflag reg because it was able to recover FULLY after each shot. However the reg had less immediate FLOW... the floor of the pressure reading was 600 PSI vs. The 800 PSI floor of the centerflag. However its speed of recovery made it possible for the reg to output 1000 psi the split moment before each shot.

The FLOW of the centerflag reg was greater because the IMMEDIATE pressure drop was lower showing a floor of 800 psi vs 600 psi with the Raptor. However the recharge rate was much SLOWER as it failed to recover fully to 1000 psi like the Raptor had. The centerflag reg hovered around 800 psi under rapid fire relying on its flow to keep up the gas demand under rapid fire it never recovered to its set output at 1000 psi.

Comments Questions?

yeahthatsme
05-24-2004, 10:29 PM
good test

Z-man
05-24-2004, 11:23 PM
Ah I like stuff like this!

My initial thoughts are this.

High recharge is what will dramatically increase the "snap" of the RT trigger. While raising the input pressure on even the slowest regged tank will eventually allow you to rapid-fire, the fast recharging reg will allow you to rapid-fire at a lower set output. I used the example on my pages that my old 3K Flatline would not rapid-fire until 1Kpsi+ and even then is was not blazing fast. The Max-Flo (and many other tanks like the one you tested) can rapid-fire as low as 850psi range. Same output pressure, different recharge rates.

Z-man's Rapid-Fire Pages (http://www.zakvetter.com/Pages/Paintball/Automags/Rapid_Fire/rf_disclaimer.html)

As I understand it, small pressure gauges like the ones on PB tanks are not very accurate and ideally, it would be nice to take your readings from some 3rd gauge hooked inline off the reg. However lets assume that for the sake of argument they were both equally accurate and the what you observed was basically what was happening.

When you performed your testing did both tanks allow you to rapid-fire (with/without paint) at equal speeds when they were both set to 1Kpsi?? Did the trigger "feel" the same using the 2 different tanks? I would like to hear more about that.

Butterfingers
05-24-2004, 11:43 PM
The test was dryfire... I only had about 100 rds left over from playing I used that to chrono using my handheld radarchron.

I was able to rapidfire with both tanks. Both tanks were hooked up to to seprate ashcroft pressure gauges on a seprate "gauge block"

I was able to rapidfire longer with the Raptor Rex. The Centerflag seemed to peter out after a few seconds.

I atribute the poor recharge of the centerflag reg to it being outside its operating range. The spring installed is a stock coil spring which is optimal for around 600 psi. I suspect a stiffer spring is likely to liven it up a bit.

The AA raptor reg is an original AGD derived design. It comes with super stiff stacked spring packs.

From my inital observations the original design that AGD sold to AA in the early 90's kicks the crap out of thier current design. :D

Off Center
05-24-2004, 11:50 PM
I'd like to see different response curves vs. pressure and flow. Also how each reg responds to different input pressures. Finding the ideal compromise between each of these characteristics would be helpful when selecting different regs for markers and playing conditions (i.e. playing further into a tank vs. filling between each match). If you have the tools, I'd love to see it.

Butterfingers
05-24-2004, 11:54 PM
I'd like to see different response curves vs. pressure and flow. Also how each reg responds to different input pressures. Finding the ideal compromise between each of these characteristics would be helpful when selecting different regs for markers and playing conditions (i.e. playing further into a tank vs. filling between each match). If you have the tools, I'd love to see it.

I would love to see that unfortunatley I dont have the equipment.

My initial assessment...

The centerflag reg would probably be better for lower pressure guns as it is in its optimal range. It is better at keeping a high VOLUME of air supplied.

The raptor rex was designed in the era of the automag. It is designed for high pressure albeit lower flow. It is designed to sustain high pressures rapidly.