PDA

View Full Version : Fixed or Adjustable HPA Tanks?

Mr. Frodo
05-25-2004, 11:57 AM
My local shop says that fixed output is better then adjustable output. Is this true?

Vanced
05-25-2004, 12:02 PM
This is just like almost every other discussion like this in paintball ... It is just a matter of opinion ...
Might as well argue over the Elves vs. Gnomes again...

Both will work ... Both will work well ... Both had differnt advantages and disadvantages that have a bigger or smaller impact based on which set up you like to use and what aspects of each you prefer.... Quality of the air system is MUCH more important than weather it is fixed or adjustable...

Tobe2be
05-25-2004, 12:03 PM
depends on how much you play and what you play with.... an adjustable is perfect for an rt mag due to the fact that if you lower the input pressure you will lower the reactivity. if you only playing rec and dont care bout tourny's and what not then your perfectly fine with a preset. think about it like cars whats better automatic or standard. it depends what your using it for. hope that helps

Mr. Frodo
05-25-2004, 02:35 PM
I just got my Omen yesterday and am using CO2 right now. It already comes with a regulator and operates between 250-500psi. Will a preset tank, say at 800psi, start giving me problems once the tank's pressure drops to 800psi? Will it even fire? That's why I was looking at adjustable tanks, so that I could turn down the pressure and use more of the tank.

Vanced
05-25-2004, 02:58 PM
To get slightly more efficently shooting low into the tank... they make a low pressure out put presets if I am not mistaken... the stock 800-850 psi output presets and most adjustable tanks gives you more versitility if you choose to someday change guns and wish to keep the same tank... or if you want the most versaility for your low pressure gun ... a LP reg'd Max Flow will give you the highest tunability at LP from what I know... yeah yeah Yeah... Evil Smart Parts... down with the 4th reich... but they are still nice low pressure tanks... and most other adjustables will get you around that level of performance nicely as well.. NOTE: I don't own or have owned a Max Flow but several people I know have and have had good success with it. I have always used either Air America, or AGD reg'd tanks and have the highest regards for either... The presets will save you a lot of weight and often some lower maintence at the loss of adjustablility, and note you often have to add an On/Off for preset tanks, and the cost of a good on/off added to the cost of the preset will often raise your price to the cost of an adjustable ... when it comes to presets I have had the best luck with the Nitro Ducks and Crossfires....

Again it all comes down to what I first said... it is all a matter of opinion and what works and feels best for you... most likely between a friendly shop owner and the guys you play with you will have access to a variety of tank & drop/rail set ups to find what is most appealing for you... try a couple out and see what you like...

Most importantly don't compramise the quality of your air system for price... a good system is worth every penny... not only for performance and durability but for safety...

jwalker87
05-25-2004, 03:04 PM
and get it new! I bought a used Maxflo, and the guy before me didn't have it lubed properly and the thing malfunctioned and blew a hole in my Spyder! I just got it back from SP, so everything should be ok.

But I agree that it is a matter of personal opinon. I have 2 other friends that paintball, and they both have preset HPA tanks, while I have the Maxflo. Presets are lighter and simpler, but they also stick back further (requiring a longer drop/unimount/back-heavy) and are not adjustable. I can adjust my trigger bounce and a little bit of performance via the operating pressure. Also on maxflo's, it has a dovetail mount that you can either put on the end of a drop forward or right to the grip frame. It's even farther up than a unimount when it's bolted to the frame. Very nice. Very compact. Flatlines are also very nice, but I don't have much experience with them.

A last word of advice, if I will. Do NOT get a 68/3000 steel system because you don't have enough money for the fiber-wrapped 68/4500! My friend did this, and now he is regretting it because he wants to upgrade to the 4500, and it will end up being much more expensive than if he had just bought that in the beginning.

Mr. Frodo
05-25-2004, 03:15 PM
I've been looking at 4500psi tanks and saw this to be a deal:

http://www.actvil.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=WV8ddvFNCVpeJ7H-_5cvcOXhn3obnXxq4j8=?ProductID=Td6sFAY7RcgAAAD3hWW lA_2t

jwalker87
05-25-2004, 03:18 PM
that does look like a good deal

Mr. Frodo
05-26-2004, 10:54 AM
Here's the scenario: I have an Omen that's rated for 250-500psi and has a Detonator reg that comes stock with the marker. (I think the factory setting is under 300psi.) I'm wanting to go with a high pressure preset (800-850) in case I buy another marker in the future. But will the marker sputter / shootdown if the tank pressure drops under the its preset pressure, even if the marker's reg is at a lower setting? Should I get a low pressure preset (400-500psi) so I can use more of that tank? I was thinking about getting an adjustable tank, but my local show says that adjustable was not as good as a preset. Is this true?

Banshee23
05-26-2004, 02:23 PM
No it's not true that preset's are better. The advantages of them are they tend to be lighter & they're cheaper. As long as you buy a quality adjustable reg it'll be just as consistant as a preset. Actually you'd be better off with an adjustable since you want to be able to use it with both low & high pressure setups - you could just adjust the pressure as you see fit for either one :)

FallNAngel
05-26-2004, 06:25 PM
But will the marker sputter / shootdown if the tank pressure drops under the its preset pressure, even if the marker's reg is at a lower setting?

No, that won't happen until the pressure is around the inline pressure.

Should I get a low pressure preset (400-500psi) so I can use more of that tank?

You don't get more out of the tank, you get the same amount either way. The LP tank just puts out less pressure. The tanks both contain the same amount of energy.

Actually you'd be better off with an adjustable since you want to be able to use it with both low & high pressure setups

or you could just save the money you'd spend on an adjustable, get a preset and use the inline regulator that comes on most guns.

IMO, unless you need an adjustable to work with the reactivity on a mag, I see no real reason to get an adjustable tank.

Adrenaline_Junkie
05-26-2004, 07:45 PM
If your intersted i have an Angel Air (adjustable) tank for sale at a great price and it works perfectly. PM me or post on the thread if you are interested. If your interested heres the link.

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=138533

BTW, ive heard that Worrgames tanks arent that good. The output pressure isnt at all consistant and it can have really high pressure spikes.

gc82000
05-27-2004, 01:12 AM
Get an adjustable tanl that way if you get a new gun the output could be changed to fit the gun. But that would require more maintainance and you would need to empty the tank for that very time. But that is what i would get. I have a mag, angel and a 68/3000 hpo Nitro Duck. And the angel reg needs to be cranked just to be worked. So get an adjustable for less wear on the stock gun regs.

logamus
05-27-2004, 01:52 PM
BTW, ive heard that Worrgames tanks arent that good. The output pressure isnt at all consistant and it can have really high pressure spikes.
i cant speak for all worrgames tanks, but mine works great. i have a 65/45 preset and its a champion.

i use a hp tank on my shocker and just let the reg do its thing. i also rarely if ever let my tank pressure drop below 1k. the last thing i want is to worry if i have enough air to get me through the next game.

Mr. Frodo
05-28-2004, 10:42 PM
If your intersted i have an Angel Air (adjustable) tank for sale at a great price and it works perfectly. PM me or post on the thread if you are interested. If your interested heres the link.

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=138533

Thanks for the offer. I'll let you know after this weekend. I'd like to use CO2 with the Omen in at least one day of game play so that I can have a better appreciation of HPA. :)

personman
05-28-2004, 11:09 PM
Personally I would rather have a preset tank..
Really, I think most people with an adjustable tank find a pressure and stick with it most of the time. Its kind of a waste of money.
Yay for crossfire!