PDA

View Full Version : Painted ss hose?

mcdkid
05-26-2004, 03:40 AM
kind of a stupid question but...

would there be any problems with the ss hose if u tried to paint it yourself?

thank 4 any info

the larch
05-26-2004, 05:26 AM
probably, I can't see paint lasting to long on what is basically braided, flexible steel.
What color do you want? Wally world has great stuff in the automotive department that will cover your hose. It's small ribbed flexible tubbing that is designed for bundling wires in a custom car stereo. Comes in a multitude of colors and is dirt cheap. Works great.

RRfireblade
05-26-2004, 06:15 AM
Heat shrink tubing.......the ONLY way to go,IMO. ;)

Many colors,durable and lasts almost indefinately.

mcdkid
05-26-2004, 06:34 AM
thats what i'm using now. i was just wondering what the paint would do

RRfireblade
05-26-2004, 06:52 AM
Flake off and look ragged in a day or 2. :)

But if you want to be sure,go ahead and try it and let us know.It won't hurt anything. ;)

mcdkid
05-26-2004, 09:19 AM
i have some extra ss hose at home, and i will try and see what happen.
i think the clear coat should keep it from chipping.

also i have seen some stuff from when people put it in and oven so it stays on. iguess i'll try this, does any 1 have another idea?

( i know that is the process for powder coating so u don't need to post it)

BobTheCow
05-26-2004, 09:32 AM
Hey, I think that's the process for powdercoating!!

Just make sure it'll still hold pressure alright, I'd be wary of cooking a flexible tube that's designed to hold 800+ psi. :cool:

SlartyBartFast
05-26-2004, 10:44 AM
also i have seen some stuff from when people put it in and oven so it stays on.

Hose in an oven?!? :eek:

ARE YOU NUTS?!?

You do realise that SS hose is just rubber hose with SS braid on the outside, don't you? Heat that up and you've messed up the rubber.

And, unless you've got access to some magic flexible paint, there's no way the paint is going to stay on. ;)

TheTramp
05-26-2004, 10:56 AM
You do realise that SS hose is just rubber hose with SS braid on the outside, don't you? Heat that up and you've messed up the rubber.

And, unless you've got access to some magic flexible paint, there's no way the paint is going to stay on. ;)

I agree totaly.

1) don't cook pressure rated hose; the interior material will be compromised.
2) The paint will flake off as soon as the hose flexes at all.

RRfireblade
05-26-2004, 02:14 PM
"Plasti-dip" would be my next suggestion. 'Cept it's really has no benefit over shrink tubing. But it is cool stuff to play with.