PDA

View Full Version : Help with 2-stroke motor!!

Buff
05-26-2004, 05:41 PM
The other day my bro was using the weed whacker.....and put gasoline in it w/o the oil.......the refilled it again......then it seized and wont start.
is there a good site i can go to to see if its possible to get it working again?
any body have advice?

cphilip
05-26-2004, 05:51 PM
No oil seize almost always a rebuild.... Sorry to say. You might take the head off and see if you can get the piston unstuck in the barrel. And might get lucky. Soaking the piston and rings down with penetrating oil and tapping with a wooden dowel to free it. But that oil in the gas also lubricates the main bearings and seals as well as the crankshaft lower inner and small end bearings. If your lucky it seized before those were ruined. And then you would just have to deal with the top end (rings and barrel). If that were so you could get by with honing the barrel and refitting new 1st oversize rings. And torque the head back down right and your good to go. But it will be evident when and if you can get the piston unstuck. If its not stuck now then the rings and perhaps the bearings are gone.

Buff
05-26-2004, 06:09 PM
argh

punkncat
05-26-2004, 08:32 PM
Yes , phil is right. At the very least you will find the rings are welded to the sleeve.
If the rest of it does work again , it probably won't for long. Go buy another. Honestly , its pretty easy to find them at Yard Sales and such not running. Most of the time due to a gummed carb from sitting up. I hope it wasn't a really nice one.

ubooze
05-26-2004, 08:42 PM
You will probably need to get it rebuilt. My dad has several 2-stroke circular saws that have problems. My uncle fixes all the stuff(he is an engineer of some sort) and does complete rebuilds. The most recent rebuild need the piston, sleeve, and rings replaced. I even remeber one time the entire head had to be replaced.

Basically, no oil when running means your in for some down-time.

I feel your frustration. My cousin mixed oil in my go-kart's fuel, and now the thing billows smoke and screams like crazy. Never let the uninformed play with your stuff.

Buff
05-26-2004, 08:44 PM
I hope it wasn't a really nice one.

it was a nice craftsman that was a more powerfull then normal one.....used for whacking small bushes with a chain:(

dj89
05-26-2004, 09:25 PM
how much did it cost?
you may be better of buying a new one but if you are good with puting stuff to getter[taking it a part is the easy part :p ;) ] you can fit it. put some wd40 or karosen in it and let it sit than see if you can trun it over.

ubooze
05-26-2004, 11:24 PM
Or you can find a used engine or maybe buy a new one and do a ghetto swap if your talented. But that may end up costing you more than just buying straight up new.

Buff
05-28-2004, 12:33 PM
got it working.....runs a little rough but at least it works.

FactsOfLife
05-28-2004, 01:01 PM
For the money you'd pay to get it fixed, you could buy a decent new one.

I just bought a new Bolens straight shaft for under a hundred bucks.

richie
05-28-2004, 01:15 PM
nine times out of ten when you run it with straight gasoline,you will weld the rings to the piston.The walls of the cylinder will be scarred up to the point where the jug is trashed.Since most weedeaters fuel systems run off of crankcase vacuum,your carb will not be able to pump the fuel it needs to run without it.No cylinder seal means no vacuum.Most homeowner weedwackers are throwaway anyways.By the time you bought the parts,you could buy a quality version.I run an echo and a Greenmachine.The right oil and gas mixture and they will last forever.My green machine is over 15 years old and it still kicks butt.Good luck!

BlackVCG
05-28-2004, 02:21 PM
Yes, most homeowner weedeaters are throwaways. Craftsman is included in that bunch.

I spent $450 on a 1.7HP John Deere weedeater and it's worked great with the amount of work I've put on it.

dj89
05-28-2004, 02:23 PM
JOHN DEERE baby o ya :D