PDA

View Full Version : So what WAS paintball like a decade ago? Wanna see? (Video Link enclosed)

Tyger
05-27-2004, 12:55 AM
Just updated the site tonight for Web Dog, and decided to add a little eye candy for the masses. I'll be tossing this over to a few other sites, but share and enjoy.

Chuck Hendsch, in the woods, playing in camo. That's enough to get me all happy to see it. The footage is from the Discovery Channel, aired in 1995. I think it was filmed in 1994, but I can't really be sure. I DO know that it was filmed in California. If the field still exists, I'd LOVE to play there. It looks cool.

http://www.webdogradio.us/video/oldschool/KnowZone.wmv

Share and enjoy.

-Tyger

Blazestorm
05-27-2004, 01:01 AM
Tyger you goober...

I'm surprised the game hasn't changed THAT much from 10 years ago... I mean... add some fancy colors and some electronic guns... thats about all thats changed in 10 years ;)

Very cool, I really like your site and all your videos, although I already know most of the stuff some of those are pretty cool =D

Find more ghetto oldschool videos plz, and if you ever need some webhosting space lemme know, got 6gigs with unlimited bandwidth (not kidding) :eek:

Doc Nickel
05-27-2004, 01:13 AM
I still have a series of tapes made from when ESPN broadcast some special made-for-TV games. As I recall they were filmed in '96 and finally broadcast in '97.

At the time, we thought it was cool as hell, but looking back at it now, the games were silly (there were time limits, where certain players couldn't pass certain parts of the field until a certain time, etc) the equipment was antiquated (at least a third of the players were still using CO2) and there was overall fairly little action.

Still, it was a stepping stone to where we are today, and today is just a stgep towards where we'll be tomorrow. Those guys in '96 had no idea we'd have electros and force-fed loaders capable of 20 BPS. Makes me wonder where we'll be in 2010. :D

Doc.

Blazestorm
05-27-2004, 01:20 AM
We'll probably hit 30bps -_-

gc82000
05-27-2004, 01:58 AM
I wonder how heavy that cocker was.

Tyger
05-27-2004, 02:48 AM
I'm still looking for a few things, more vids, naturally. But I'm also looking for some of the ESPN games. Bad Company vs. Ironmen (Wiht the infamous "Oh Splotch") And I'm loking for more 'local paintball' stuff for the site.

It's an ongoing thing. I'm also thinking of having an "archive" of movie clips that had paintball in it. 30-60 second clips of movies like "Band of the Hand" or "Gotcha".... Painful, I know.... But all for the audience.

-Tyger

Blazestorm
05-27-2004, 03:25 AM
Hey If I had been around that time I would find some stuff... but unfortunately I was born the time the 6-pak was born - :eek:

Igotu
05-27-2004, 07:02 AM
I have an uber old video with old sheridans stuff ill show it when i get back from school today.

Bolter
05-27-2004, 08:53 AM
hey tyger fantastic site man!! Was looking at it the other day and was gonna PM you to say how great it is!! My favourite part

"and there go the Ironmen on a crawl...."

hehehe!! Crawling is now a lost art.....

jwalker87
05-27-2004, 09:10 AM
did anyone else see a mag in there?

jewie27
05-27-2004, 10:01 AM
did anyone else see a mag in there?

You can see the back of the Mag.

pointm@n
05-27-2004, 10:58 AM
Did anyone else notice that the female reporter is now the anchor woman for CNN? http://www.cnn.com/CNN/anchors_reporters/obrien.soledad.html

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/anchors_reporters/images/obrien.soledad.jpg

thei3ug
05-27-2004, 11:05 AM
god i miss games like that.

You notice, the three guns that were really shown were tippmanns, cockers and mags. :)

It's so true!!! You can TELL that came from 94.

I loved the juryrigged, sort of backwoods feel to it. It was more private, more urgent in a way.

TeamNausea
05-27-2004, 11:08 AM
Yeah i saw the mag.
See paintball gets peopls places!

Major Ho
05-27-2004, 11:18 AM
Did anyone else notice that the female reporter is now the anchor woman for CNN? http://www.cnn.com/CNN/anchors_reporters/obrien.soledad.html

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/anchors_reporters/images/obrien.soledad.jpg
Shes cute, and she got that surrender AND the flag!

thei3ug
05-27-2004, 11:31 AM
you ever notice that when paintball is on tv, the action seems disjointed, gear sometimes changes on a person, and the time of day changes?

Its skryptid d00d. sheez a noobie.

Blazestorm
05-27-2004, 01:05 PM
My favorite part was when the guy was talking about the angel...

Ricochet force feeding, and having a "nitrous" tank... And him being a Pro player... :rolleyes:

Was good though, I've been watching all your vids, watched your 7 field thing... that's crazy =D

Igotu
05-27-2004, 05:50 PM
http://www.webdogradio.us/shorts/ABC85.wmv this one probably yours too, idk but its really frikin sweet. MULLETS OF DEATH.

RenagadeOfFunk
05-27-2004, 05:57 PM
...$600 for the super autococker .... (hahaha) :D

Eatem Alive
05-27-2004, 06:17 PM
boy, that brings back memories. i still have my real tree pullover and pants. i cant wear the pants anymore (my butt has gotten bigger) but i wear the top still...my son says it's AGG :rolleyes:

magmonkey
05-27-2004, 06:25 PM
tyger,
I have some video of western Ma. / new england paintball from the early-mid 90s just local stuff but it is from the right time, if you want it I can dig it up

Alan
Destructive Customs

Tyger
05-27-2004, 06:27 PM
Yeah, the ABC footage is my work. Well, it' snot MINE, it's "Nightline", but I did the rip/render.

I wonder if in 10 years we'll look back and say "$1350 for an Adranaline Angel! HAW!" or whatever.

Actually, Doc? Do you have those videos of the '96 ESPN games I can borrow? I'm working on getting the "Gardner Reno wipe" tape too. I've got a LOT of feelers out there, it's a matter of making it all work. And makign more of the industry hate me for knowing the history they try to rewrite. :D

-Tyger

Mighty Mike
05-27-2004, 08:28 PM
Did you guys check out on the same website the 1995 ESPN video link of the Ironmen vs. All Americans?? It's long (46 meg :eek: ) but the footage is pretty good. During the end of the video, it's too bad Bill Gardner had to act so girly on national tv, but at least Bob Long conducted himself well.

http://www.webdogradio.us/video/oldschool/ESPN1hi.wmv

Blazestorm
05-27-2004, 08:39 PM
Paintball is a controversal sport, there are always close calls, what I hate is when a Ref blatantly makes a bad call but won't admit it.

For example :

My friends are in a 3man tourney, its down to a 2v2 both had one in the back and one at the 40, my friend gets shot in the foot by the guy at the 40, he asks for a paint check because its on the bottom of his shoe, the ref says he's clean, 10 seconds later he checks again and says he's out, he's ripping on his timmy and screaming at his back man to watch right, he can't hear the Ref. The Ref is 10 feet from him and doesn't bother to go pull him, my friend bumps up to the next 40 bunker and shoots out the other guy before the refs grab him and tell him to stop shooting and pull him off the field than pull the other player on our team giving the pull and hang to the opposing team when we should have won. The Ref did not pull him and he could not hear the ref.

Billy was pissed that there was any controversy, he pulled the flag and screwed up his arm in the process, they won the game and anyone trying to take that away is going to piss him off. **** happens, :p

JimmyBeam
05-27-2004, 10:15 PM
maybe i missed it, but how much was paint back then??

Eatem Alive
05-27-2004, 10:19 PM
in the early '90's, we used to pay around $120 for a 2500 rd. case of pink r.p.s. you guys remember the 200 rd. boxes of cal-mag? those were like shooting marbles.

darwin
05-27-2004, 11:40 PM
hey tyger

not sure if you remember me but i met you out at sherwood :)

you look so sexy with a tail on

end hijack

Tyger
05-27-2004, 11:48 PM
Billy was pissed that there was any controversy, he pulled the flag and screwed up his arm in the process, they won the game and anyone trying to take that away is going to piss him off. **** happens, :p

Well, if you want to be TECHNICAL about it...

Look again, when Billy takes a tumble, the loader falls off the gun, he then goes at least 5 feet away from it. Abandoned equipment, he's eliminated.

I'll have to dig up the 1995 rule set, but I believe they had rules then about abandoning gear...

Eatem : You don't remember hte ICS "Puppy Paint", do ya? Holy cats that stuff was HARD. I broke somoene's PVC pod wiht one of those balls! BUT WOW did they fly straight!

And Darwin, if ya got it, you flaunt it. :eek: :D :cool:

-Tyger

Wes Janson
05-28-2004, 02:01 AM
My local field is very similar to that, but with more bunkers. And instead of mags, we have Spyders, and instead of cockers we have JTs and assorted low-end guns. Tippmanns are still there though. And we have a few proto-AO regulars, including one guy who was using a pump mag a few weeks ago...

Ziuck
05-28-2004, 04:23 PM
I have tapes of the 96' airing of paintball on ESPN and ESPN2. It ran for about 10 episodes (I think). I will see if I can find the tapes at my parents house. If I can I can get them in mpg or divx for you. I will check this weekend.

I still have and use a Smart Parts Renegade Tiger Stripe 6 pod harness! Works like a charm. One of the first packs to support 114/134(PMS) cu in N2 tanks!

teufelhunden
05-28-2004, 04:28 PM
Those poor guys. lol :)

Surrender rule is, without a doubt, the worst rule in paintball.

Tyger
05-28-2004, 05:27 PM
I'm sitting on one more show from 1995 that I've got rendered. I really need motivation to post it tho. It was filmed at the 1994 ZAP Am. Open.

Two words. "Green Machine".

Ahh, I'll put it up sooner or later. :)

-Tyger

Ratzo
05-29-2004, 07:32 PM
Does anyone have a lead on the game that took place in Disney back in 94?
I think it was at the MGM studios back lot.
I remember the bus some cars and a few mail boxes.

Tyger
05-29-2004, 07:43 PM
That was Fred Schultz's doing. I never saw it aired, but it was filmed at the MGM Studios lot. It featured a LOT of people in the industry, including TK if I'm not mistaken.

I'll keep an eye out for that vid too.

-Tyger

Pickle
05-30-2004, 01:08 AM
Cal Mag! Yeah I remember that. It was banned at a few fields out here in So Cal.