PDA

View Full Version : AO SETI @home team

Drizit
05-28-2004, 11:25 AM
hey guys, I was going to set up a team for AO on SETI@home when i found out there was already one there. The SETI@home client uses extra CPU cycles to analise radio telescope data for proof of extra terrestrial life, it doesn't relay slow down your system much as it just uses the cycles you aren't, and you can even set it to only run when the screen saver it up. go to this link to download the client http://setiathome2.ssl.berkeley.edu/download.html after installing it go to this link to join the team. http://setiathome2.ssl.berkeley.edu/stats/team/team_174812.html It's free it helps the astronomers out, and if enough of us get together I'm sure we can get the highest score :D thanks

Dayspring
05-28-2004, 11:28 AM
I've been running Seti @ Home for YEARS now. I have well over 2700 work units completed.

I may join you guys. I've been doing stuff for my school for years. :)

Drizit
05-28-2004, 11:44 AM
you will make the third person in the AO team, so we could use those work units ;) i think magking1971 may have been at it for a while but he didn't seem to do any advertising.

Miscue
05-28-2004, 12:10 PM
I think I have 1500 done.

Potatoboy
05-28-2004, 12:18 PM
bah, RC5 baby.

http://www.distributed.net

ShooterJM
05-28-2004, 12:30 PM
How have I never heard of the RC5 thing? I definately have to get that hooked up on my computer!

Dryden
05-28-2004, 12:30 PM
Sweet! I'm at about 2200 in just under six months ... I've got seven old P-IIIs chugging along doing little else. :D

barrel break
05-28-2004, 07:20 PM
the AO page wont recognize me as part of it despite the fact that its running right now

magking1971
05-28-2004, 11:04 PM
:p He he, been at that awhile now.

FactsOfLife
05-29-2004, 10:32 AM
I created a new account for AO and shamlessly plugged my business.

:D

And if you have Starry Night's astronomy program, you can use the SETI plug in to look at what part of the sky you're searching in real time.

Dryden
05-30-2004, 03:42 PM
OK, I just joined AO-Army (http://setiathome2.ssl.berkeley.edu/stats/team/team_174812.html) and I've got more work units completed than the rest of you combined! Come on ... slackers! ;)

:D

Bluestrike_2
05-30-2004, 06:17 PM
Ok. My G5 is chugging away. Going to setup the Windows XP laptop now.

Bluestrike_2
05-30-2004, 10:08 PM
Ok. We have a TON of people on this forum. Yet how many are willing to work on this? SEVEN!!! Only Seven!!! Something is very, very wrong here.

Finished my first work unit. Quarter of the way on my second one. :D

How often does that team page update with stats?

Drizit
05-31-2004, 02:08 PM
blue strike i think it updates once a day.

Barrel brake, did you hit join on the AO-Army page and put in your email address and password, i just copied my password form the email they sent me.

Just setup the Netfinity at work to cruch some numbers for us, that and my laptop should get me going, i'll have to get my extra boxes up and running at home, see how mutch i can crank out :D

WickeDKlowN
05-31-2004, 02:32 PM
I've been running Folding@Home (http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/) for a while now. Seems a little more important that searching for aliens... ;)

Bluestrike_2
05-31-2004, 02:34 PM
I used to have Folding@Home running. It just took over my CPU(s). So, I got rid of it. Shame though. It was evil....

Besides, maybe the aliens could help us :D

Drizit
05-31-2004, 02:49 PM
as much as the folding research seems important, I've already setup SETI, and I don't really care about the folding cause, I've had relatives go form Alzheimer's but it just doesn't interest me that much, perhaps because i don't see a cure in the future anyway. not the way the rest of the planet is going, and perhaps aliens can teach us to smarten up and not kill off our planet.

magking1971
05-31-2004, 11:10 PM
Yah we need to beat the Art Bell team! :p
BPS is my other account.

Potatoboy
05-31-2004, 11:30 PM
as much as the folding research seems important, I've already setup SETI, and I don't really care about the folding cause, I've had relatives go form Alzheimer's but it just doesn't interest me that much, perhaps because i don't see a cure in the future anyway. not the way the rest of the planet is going, and perhaps aliens can teach us to smarten up and not kill off our planet.

Am I the only person that read this as "Let's not do anything useful, maybe the aliens will come and save us all!"

Many, Many scholars agree that the SETI program is *not* how any inteligent life will find us. The signals recieved will be dated Millions of years in the past, and will likely be of little use other than knowing someone else is out there.

With the folding at home program, one can make a difference in doing work that will directly help mankind.

The RC5 challenge at distributed.net is proving again and again the viability of long term distributed computing tasks, which only helps other tasks for meaningful purposes. The RC5 challenge is also helping to extrapolate new long term encryption schemes by finding flaws in past systems.

I ran SETI for a few days, and thought about it. Really, no one is expecting anything useful to come of it; it's just a waste of cycles.

Drizit
06-01-2004, 07:58 AM
no potato i don't think the aliens will come down and save us, however i also feel that the work on folding won't help man kind in any viable way, it may help a few verry rich people but by the time it's in any usefull state they will be the only ones to afford it. you and I just won't get to see it. for instance i have a friend who works for a drug research company, They have devloped a vaceen (note i say vacseen not cure) for AIDS, however the cost to produce it is so high that even though it would be a great boon to places like africa where 80% of the population is infected, they won't produce it, i might be avalible to the few people who can afford $12,000 per dose but that's it. see now why i don't hold much hope for the folding program?