PDA

View Full Version : Repairing a PMI HPA tank Reg.

Janitor
05-28-2004, 11:04 PM
I have a PMI HPA tank 47ci that is now leaking out of a little hole on the reg, I'm assuming that is a bleed off or something like that. Does any body know how to fix this? I'm thinking that I need to take the reg. off the tank and replace the internal O-rings. I looked at PMIs web site but they were no help.

kevdupuis
05-29-2004, 04:32 PM
It's either the 012-90 or the 008-90 urethane oring gone on the piston.
Question. Is it a newer reg with two set screws in the side of the body which allow for dissasembly, or the older locktited one.
Here's the pdf file for the reg. http://www.pminetwork.com/preset_reactor_regulator.pdf

elpimpo
05-29-2004, 05:01 PM
a quick fix you might want to try is to drop a couple drops of oil down the pin valve area, it will sometimes help. if not hope to god that you have one of the regs that is easily rebuildable

Janitor
05-29-2004, 05:19 PM
Well I have one of the old tanks that does not have the set screws. I tried to remove the top part of the tank but I didn't try very hard. Are they reverse treads on this part?

kevdupuis
05-29-2004, 05:26 PM
Yes it's reverse threaded and heavilly locktited. You'll need to remove the guage and apply enough heat to loosen the locktite. If you have a spare asa, preferably a duckbill, use that to unscrew the top of the reg.
The best way I found, is to use a strap wrench on the tank and an adjustable (cresent) wrench on the duckbill.

Janitor
05-29-2004, 05:55 PM
Ok I will try that tonight. I'll try it at work where we have all of the tools. Thanks for the info!

elpimpo
05-29-2004, 06:05 PM
how bad of a leak is it? if its small try the oil idea so you dont have to go threw all of that

Janitor
05-29-2004, 06:34 PM
I tried the oil but that didn't help, and I don't want to send this back for them to repair. I'm sure that once I get it off it will be easy to repair. So nothing will be damaged by appling heat to the tank as long as I remove the gauge?

elpimpo
05-29-2004, 07:02 PM
u might melt some orings

Janitor
06-16-2004, 02:13 AM
Thanks for all of the help, I got the bonnet off of the reg and replaced the O-rings and it is working leak free! You were all soooo much more help then the people at PMI, they wouldn't tell me anything other then send it in, they are not user rebuildable. None rebuildable my butt!

Halliday
06-16-2004, 09:37 AM
Ok I will try that tonight. I'll try it at work where we have all of the tools. Thanks for the info!
Are you a janitor at work and your spare time too? :)

mrhooie
06-16-2004, 09:44 AM
None rebuildable my butt!

In pmi's defense, they're being safe. they've got the new regs easily rebuildable for a reason (users are more advanced and its easier for proshops/airsmiths)
what you performed is not your average user repair =) congrats