PDA

View Full Version : IS anyone familar with black chrome

coolcatpete
05-29-2004, 09:40 AM
OK so dais anyone know what black chrome is? It is like a miror but black, you would still be able to see yourself. One of my friends was looking to get this on his marker. Does anyone know where this can be done. We found one place buty we had to sebd in about 7,500 pieces to get an ano. So help him.
Pete

jwalker87
05-29-2004, 09:59 AM
i know what black chrome is. Looks reeeeeal niiice. Sorry; don't know where he could get it done though. Maybe try some automotive type stores?

slade
05-29-2004, 10:19 AM
hmmm sounds cool... maybe AGD should use it on some mag parts...

Muzikman
05-29-2004, 10:50 AM
Black chrome is very nice. I use to know of a few places but that was years ago and the names escape me. The problem with black chrome is that it is not durable at all. It will start to flake very quickly. This is why you so so few paintball guns done in it.

GT
05-29-2004, 11:09 AM
I beilieve it is nickel plating with some kind of variant/containmanet that casues the black sheen...

Vanced
05-29-2004, 12:21 PM
The problem with black chrome is that it is not durable at all. It will start to flake very quickly. This is why you so so few paintball guns done in it.

Correct... It looks very cool for a very short while... I have a Zippo with this finish ..and it doesn't stand up very well at all ... But it would look very nice on just a show or collection pieace ... not for the every day wear and tear of the field though ....

rx2
05-29-2004, 12:26 PM
From what I remember, you usually start with a nickel base. Then, you plate in a chromium anhydride bath, with a good acid. I believe that the black color is a result of oxidization. Of course, this weakens the plate slightly.

You can also get the black chrome with a vapor process.

As far as where to get it, I suppose that you might want to do a search to see. There used to be a shop near me that did it, but I can't remember the name for the life of me.

NoFearPaintballer
05-29-2004, 12:33 PM
Could you put a clear coat over it and would it stay then

Bonx0007
05-29-2004, 01:35 PM
I have had to work with a chroming facility from time to time. I inquired about this and I was informed that it was very expensive to have it done in a fashion to where it would be as durable as normal chroming. You would want to call Faith plating in Hollywood Ca. http://www.bumper.com/ 1 888 999 2378. Now Faith Plating does not do it but they may be able to provide some info in regard to who does. Also you may want to talk to your local harley davidson shop.my 3 cents :)

Muzikman
05-29-2004, 02:08 PM
BTW: There is a Black nickle (chrome) Minimag out there. If I would have played my cards right and knocked out Manike when I saw that body in his hands, it could have been mine;)

http://www.pentestone.com/paintball/BlackTunaMag.htm

coolcatpete
05-29-2004, 05:21 PM
Thanks anymore
Pete

rpm07
05-29-2004, 08:55 PM
Talk to Tuna I think he had a body done for someone in it.

Automaggot68
05-29-2004, 10:06 PM
A lot of Of guitar parts have black chrome. Usually on Floyd Rose tremolo's, or on the Jackson Style Locking Tremolo system. Tuning pegs as well, if I recall correctly. I dont know what this adds to your thread but it just popped into my head.....
...Mmmm.....Jackson DKMG......sunstatiniac system...mmm..

50 cal
05-30-2004, 06:11 AM
Advance Plating in Nashville Tn does small lot black chroming. A friend of mine had a PS 15 Marauder (old schoolers will know) done in black chrome. Looks really nice. He still has it and it looks as good as when it was done many years ago.

Shykicker
05-30-2004, 06:41 AM
Could you put a clear coat over it and would it stay then

Pretty much what I was wondering.