PDA

View Full Version : reffing..

zacbot
05-29-2004, 06:55 PM
im reffing my first tournament on june the 13th..its one of sippl's tournaments for any of you folks playing..but..i mean i know the whole thing about paint checks and stuff..but anything else i should watch out for and be aware of?

tribalman
05-29-2004, 07:49 PM
i'd say watch for wipers, try and get people to not get their triggers to bounce (something really needs to be done about this), and don't let people who don't like your call bug you. you are the ref, what you say goes. if they won't get off your back, tell them how you saw it, and how you made your call accordingly. good luck!

Lee
05-29-2004, 07:51 PM
tons!

watch for sudden turns by players. then check the side they turned away from you. chances are they took a hit and are hiding it.

don't be afraid to make calls out of your zone.

don't back down from your decisions. if the player as an ssue, he is free to speak to the head ref after the game. once it's done, it's done. don't let them distract you from play.

support your fellow refs. there are three teams on every field and one of them are the refs.

scan each player in your zone continuously. you should visually check each player every few seconds as well as scan the entire field to if your fellow refs need your assistance.

prove to the palyers you mean what you say. that goes along way in later games.

be sharp in the money rounds.

treat players and fellow refs with respect. don't lose your cool. if you have an issue with a fellow ref, invlve the head judge or ultimate and resolve it as quickly as possible without a fuss. players don't want or need to see refs arguing among themselves.

control the field to insure safety and fair honest play.

thats all i can think of right now...

Lee-N.P.P.L. certified P.R.O. super 7 referee

NJPaint
05-29-2004, 10:09 PM
Like a player, plan out what you are going to do at the beginning of the game, plan out where you can be so that you aren't in any lanes and can see your entire zone. Like a person playing, nothing will go exactly as planned, and like a player you have to improv based on what the players do. Keep your eyes out for wipers and other obvious infractions. Like Lee said, don't back down from a call or be afraid to make calls.

zacbot
05-30-2004, 09:07 PM
thanks for the help guys..ill keep all that in mind..