PDA

View Full Version : Northeastern (or similar climate) Wrangler owners . . .

Remington
05-30-2004, 04:46 PM
I'm looking into getting a Jeep Wrangler but my dad is "skeptical" at best, he thinks they're somewhat of a safety issue (he's pretty set on a car with side-airbags). Another concern of his is that it would be too cold in the winter (if you live in NE that's something you really need to be worried about) but I think that with a hard top it wouldn't be all that bad. Anyway. I just wanted to try and get some opinions about any safety issues/cold weather complaints you guys might have. Thanks for your help! :D

bornl33t
05-30-2004, 05:28 PM
I don't know about safty on jeeps. They are built on a dated design with few of the modern ammenities the new cars have BUT they are built on a proven design. It's not uncommon to hear of jeeps with 200,000-400,000 miles on them. They are killer snow vehicles because of the grown clearance, torque, 4x4 and factory skinny tires. I live in Iowa and see ALOT of jeep even with soft tops in the winter...I personaly wouldn't have anything less then a hard top for that season but whatever.

I own a jeep cherokee and it's hands down the best vehicle i've owned.

spazzed
05-30-2004, 10:26 PM
*edit* Forgot to add, if ya have anymore questions, feel free to ask. You can also check out http://www.jeepsunlimited.com :)

I am a wrangler owner, but I can't say that I live quite that far North (Tennessee). It does get plenty cold down here at times (nothing compared to ya'll, I know) and I normally turn off the heater 'cause I'm frying. I wouldn't worry about being first start of the day..

As for safety, in all honesty, it's gonna depend on how you drive. Wranglers (stock for sure, but *especially* lifted) are a different animal than anything else out there. The short wheel-base & light weight take some getting used too, specifically when making turns..you can't whip 'em around corners like a car, atleast not at first ;-)

Also on the safety thing, nearly all Wranglers have Steel bodies, and it's gonna take quite a pounding to do some serious damage...I was hit in the side bye a car sliding in the ice, going 20+mph I believe. Passenger side was hit, only damage was to the body, everyone ok.. Couple years after that I rear-ended a neon gonig 45mph. Again, only body damage. Broke the lenses in my fog lights, bent my hood a bit & had to replace the fenders.

So yeah, IMO, they're like miniature tanks. Tend to be very reliable, and can get your through anything daily driving will bring you across (unless you like to play in the mud, then you get to spend more money :D )

Oh, another thought..I don't remember exactly when, 2001 I believe, they switched the material on the factory soft-tops, and they are now if not, damn near, as quiet as a hard-top, just so ya know..;) I'm getting one in a couple days, I'll let ya know how it turns out :D :cool:

Morally0Confused
05-31-2004, 03:28 AM
if your dad wants side airbags your gonna need a fairly new car! and alot of cars today still dont have them

Lohman446
05-31-2004, 09:06 AM
My answer is going to be odd considering, but here it is anyways.

Having driven a Wrangler in the winter, in snow, the things should be banned when snowing - and I am farily used to 4WD vehicles in the snow, so its not a pansy goign from a car to a truck thing.

Now, don't get me wrong, they are a decent vehicle, when you use them for what they are intended to. They have some negatives though on the road. The short wheelbase that gets them almost anywhere in the woods becomes a liability on the road - they are "squirelly" and don't track very well even when dry, you may not notice it but you have to "drive" these vehicles more than vehicles with a longer wheel base. This only gets worse in snow. The vehicle's wheelbase is almost square as well, where other SUVs have a habit of rolling over sideways, a Wrangler is just as likely to roll end over end - even wtih the heavy roll bars this is normally not an incident you walk away from. The short wheelbase also makes it more prone to rolling overall

They are, in general, overpriced for what you are getting. But thats an issue for a different time.

In the end, I would highly recommend driving one, and then driving a Cherokee (teh small one) after that. I think you would be happier with a Cherokee. Keep in mind that all Jeeps are made slightly differently, with a consideration to off road use you give up some on road comforts, the suspension is not going to be as "comfortable" as say a Blazer or Explorer, but there is a reason behind it. I think the Cherokee is a good compromise vehicle, plenty of off road ability, without the extremely short wheelbase of the Wrangler.

spazzed
05-31-2004, 10:47 AM
My answer is going to be odd considering, but here it is anyways.

Having driven a Wrangler in the winter, in snow, the things should be banned when snowing - and I am farily used to 4WD vehicles in the snow, so its not a pansy goign from a car to a truck thing.

Now, don't get me wrong, they are a decent vehicle, when you use them for what they are intended to. They have some negatives though on the road. The short wheelbase that gets them almost anywhere in the woods becomes a liability on the road - they are "squirelly" and don't track very well even when dry, you may not notice it but you have to "drive" these vehicles more than vehicles with a longer wheel base. This only gets worse in snow. The vehicle's wheelbase is almost square as well, where other SUVs have a habit of rolling over sideways, a Wrangler is just as likely to roll end over end - even wtih the heavy roll bars this is normally not an incident you walk away from. The short wheelbase also makes it more prone to rolling overall

They are, in general, overpriced for what you are getting. But thats an issue for a different time.

In the end, I would highly recommend driving one, and then driving a Cherokee (teh small one) after that. I think you would be happier with a Cherokee. Keep in mind that all Jeeps are made slightly differently, with a consideration to off road use you give up some on road comforts, the suspension is not going to be as "comfortable" as say a Blazer or Explorer, but there is a reason behind it. I think the Cherokee is a good compromise vehicle, plenty of off road ability, without the extremely short wheelbase of the Wrangler.

He does have a very good point, but you have to also consider that it has just as much to do with how you drive it as it does the short-wheelbase, etc. Jeeps, especially wranglers, are simply not something you can hotrod around & whip around corners, but if you're getting one, then odds are you could care less about that sort of thing, so it shouldn't even matter...

Now if the the short-wheelbase is that much of a concern to you, or you'd prefer something a bit larger, consider the Unlimited. 10" longer wheelbase :) Basically a modern Scrambler :D

xXHavokXx
05-31-2004, 12:03 PM
When you said wranglers I thought you meant stranglers, those hick pants hillbillies wear to sterillize themselves.

Restola
05-31-2004, 12:28 PM
I've been driving my 2000 soft top wrangler since february (I live in ohio). It stays as warm and toasty as you'd like. Absolutely zero problems with it being too cold. Now it does cool down quickly when you shut the car off, but it heats up very quickly also.

As far as safety goes, don't drive it like a rally car.

magman007
05-31-2004, 01:49 PM
if he wants something with side airbags, then you have a line up of some pretty cool cars, tht i would look into more than a jeep.

First and foremost, is the mazda rx8. PURE SEX! I love ours, and it has side and head curtain airbags. the thing is fast as all hell, 4 seater, and it takes normally 30 mph turns at 70 with no problem.

second off is the mazda 6. Not as cool as the 8, and it is a sedan, but it has 6 cylenders of pure power. these things move, and look hot.

next on my list is a mazda 3. the 3's are small, quick, and they handle amazingly. I love my moms 3 hatchback, throw a stick in there, and move.

after the mazda crew, you get into the subaru. And we all know that the WRX owns. You can drive it like a ralley car, because thats what it is.

Next off, is volvo. The new volvos are soo cool, and the s40 would be your best bet. small, sexy, and safe.

Look into these cars. and see if you canw ord a deal with your dad. I strongly reccomend something mazda, as i have seen, and felt, that mazda is goiong places. ZOOM ZOOM

oldsoldier
05-31-2004, 02:58 PM
Remmy, I have a 95 wrangler softtop. Safety, in a jeep...well, you have steel bumpers...yeah, no airbags, but you are high enough above most traffic to see around it. Um, I have never had a safety issue personally, nor have I known anyone who did. As far as driving in winter....well, it doesnt get hot in a jeep, but, it gets comfy. You probably wont remove your jacket, but, hey, you can lose the top all summer long!!

Lohman446
05-31-2004, 04:11 PM
after the mazda crew, you get into the subaru. And we all know that the WRX owns. You can drive it like a ralley car, because thats what it is.

As long as you can afford the maintenance that comes with driving a car like a rally car. I hear this all the time from teh Subaru dealer I deal with frequently - some people get in these, drive them like a rally car, and then wonder why they replace the transmission every 15-20K miles. What people don't understand, when these things are used as rally cars, they are also maintiained like rally cars.

Remington
05-31-2004, 04:59 PM
Thanks for all the awesome input guys, it really helps to hear from actual owners. :D

For anyone that takes their Wrangler (or Cherokee for that matter) off-road, how well do they perform stock? The reason I want a Wrangler is because I love the fact that you can stick a soft-top on during the summer and at the same time take them off-road and have just as much fun. It sounds like I'll definetly need to take a test-drive though before I make a real decision. :D

spazzed
05-31-2004, 07:59 PM
Remmy, I have a 95 wrangler softtop. Safety, in a jeep...well, you have steel bumpers...yeah, no airbags, but you are high enough above most traffic to see around it. Um, I have never had a safety issue personally, nor have I known anyone who did. As far as driving in winter....well, it doesnt get hot in a jeep, but, it gets comfy. You probably wont remove your jacket, but, hey, you can lose the top all summer long!!

Not dogging OS, just pointing out the fact that his is an older model, the YJ. The current model, TJ, does have it's share of improvements, but the one most applying to you is the "new" top design. They're a LOT quieter than OS's baby, and furthermore, if you buy a new enough (2001 I believe) they tops are made w/ a material which as quiet as a hardtop (if it doesn't come w/ the Sailcloth top, then they can be had for ~607 if ya know where to look ;) )

You mentioned off-roading stock. That depends on what year ya get ;)

PyRo
05-31-2004, 11:32 PM
I don't own one, but I would think its based on your driving style. Somone rolled a wrangler and turned over three times going down skunks misery road (like you know where that is), ive gone down the road in my camaro about the same speed he was going and made it just fine.
97 and up have driver and passanger air bags, probably ABS, and a host of other saftey features as well, on the newer ones you might even be able to get side air bags.
Don't be one of those idiots who thinks it is cool to remove the rollbar either, that will end you up dead.
Invest in undercoating, those things rust like hell.
As far as off roading, they are one of the best production vehicles for offroading, when it comes to adding aftermarket stuff they probably have more potential than most others as well. I still want my grand cherokee with 4in lift and 33in tires :)

Big'n slo
06-01-2004, 08:20 AM
Ok, Just to a add a question to the thread.
How are the 4cyl 5spd Wranglers on gas?

After paying $50+ to fill my beast today I'm in need of slightly better mpg's.

Restola
06-01-2004, 06:44 PM
4cyls are rating at 16-18mpg city I think.

My 6cyl 4.0L gets about 15.5mpg overall. About 2/3 highway, 1/3 city. But you get an extra 61 HP (181 total) with the 6cyl.