PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for Filming Paintball

magman007
05-30-2004, 05:19 PM
Now, im sure his has been thought of before, and if it hasnt been, i dont quite understand why it hasnt been, but, why dont we use "track Cams", you know, the cameras used in sports like football and ice hockey? The cameras that are suspended, usually by 4 cables, that upull and release to posistion the camera in its desired posistion.

I realise these cameras are quite expensive, but, it would provide very excelent footage. The footage would be smoothe and focused. you could focus on the whole field, key players, quiuck zooms and trails of bunkering moves, etc etc.

Now, maybe as paintball gets bigger, we will be able to move into larger venues, and stadiums, much like campaign cup used to do int he soccer stadium. We could move into places like the wachovia center, or even the smaller spectrum. Every state has a stadium to play in, and with the advent of x ball and the dick clarke productions purchase, i dont see why something like this couldnt be aranged. It would be even nicer if some one could work something out to try this out in the sky dome at the next skyball. i am curious to see what could become of this technology.

Another plus, would be the exclusion fo the human factor, no humans squeeming from hits, no more sideline only shots of games, no more shakey zooms etc etc. The camera could get into every bunker, being suspended some 20 feet in the air, it wouldnt have a very good chance of getting hit, and if it did, you could encase it in a clear plexiglass box, which would withstand shots, from those hot haded little pissers who would get a kick out of it.

Just think of the possibilities

Josh2Xtremes
05-30-2004, 05:30 PM
You hit it on the head. Nobody who has the money for such equipment is in paintball, and nobody in paintball has the money for such equipment. While I agree that it would provide a new perspective and excellent footage, if you don't think it wouldn't get shot to hell you're mistaken, unfortunately. With all the balls fired that are hitting airball bunkers, don't you ever wonder where they go? Everywhere. Many of them straight up. Don't you ever wonder how people on the OUTSIDE of a field fully encircled by 20-foot netting get hit? Simple; balls hit bunkers and bounce UP and OUT. No company with that kind of money is going to risk that kind of damage, and encasing in plexiglass is an extremely short-term solution, as the first hit the box took would impair the footage and require a complicated cleaning.
Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to shoot down a good idea, but it comes down to the three most important things in paintball: money, money and money.
The closest anyone has come so far is first Traumahead and then the NPPL's use of boom cameras, which does, somewhat parallel to your perspective, provide interesting and different footage. Front somebody about twenty grand and we'll do it. ;)
Josh

magman007
05-30-2004, 05:41 PM
Josh, i really apreciate your post. You are correct, i did not really think of the fact, that the paint does go up. Stupid me. Again, i realize that no one in paintball would want to pony up 20 grand, but, i think it would be nice to see down the line, again maybe with the Whole Dick Clarke Xball thing if it ever takes off.

Im sure some one would be able to figure out a way to clean off hits, with a wiper solution of some sort.

Again, i realize it isnt a very important thing, as videos in paintball still arent a huge commodity like they are in other industries like surfing, snowboarding, etc etc.

Maybe it is time for some one to actually concentrate on this project.

Thanks again Josh, as always, i appreciate your insite.

trains are bad
05-30-2004, 06:44 PM
tourneys need cams right over key bunkers looking straight down, for replays and judgeing purposes.

shivors
05-30-2004, 09:01 PM
Yeah....current camera schemes dont compensate for obstacles. They are designed for wide angles.

What I think would work very well would be the floating cameras introduce by the now defunct XFL and recently adopted by the NFL. Also...nice goggle cams would be key in bringing the audience into the action.

Josh2Xtremes
05-30-2004, 09:58 PM
You aren't stupid at all! Don't think like that and please don't think I was talking down to you either. Keep in mind that this sort of thing is what I do for a living and I deal with the "media" end of paintball on a daily basis. What with our PB2X TV show going live this year on SPIKE TV in 87 million homes and all the tournament tv coverage and such, I'm up to my waist in it every day, so I know things. I pretty much get shot for a living so I know what paintballs do (not as much as TK but a lot).
Your idea is a solid one, the only problem, like I said before, is the money. Figure out how to get that and maybe it could be the next big thing! :)
Josh