PDA

View Full Version : How much leak is OK? (X-valve)

The Spanish Inquisition
05-30-2004, 11:44 PM
Right now I have the next to smallest spacer in (the one 1 dot .316 ) and I still have a little leak which I can only hear if I put my ear up to the feed neck. Is this normal (i seem to remember my classic valve having the same problem)

Im trying to refrain from going any smaller becuase it is already venting (bolt only going half way) during very slow rof dry firing which as far as I know is caused by the small carrier.

So I guess I have 2 questions.
1. is that leak normal ?
2. will going to the smallest carrier cause more problems with the funny antichop vending deal during slow fire?

Dayspring
05-30-2004, 11:47 PM
No, it's not supposed to leak like that.

Do you have any shims in there? Have you oiled it?

The Spanish Inquisition
05-31-2004, 12:20 AM
nope. it's oiled up and I have removed the shims in order to troubleshoot it. I have now even put in the smallest carrier.

I guess it's time to start looking at the on/off assy.

ZapTheMad
05-31-2004, 12:38 AM
check the outer o-rings on the carriers for damage.

The Spanish Inquisition
05-31-2004, 02:16 AM
each carrier has its own o-ring so I doubt all 4 that I tried are damaged. I visually inspected just in case and I don't see anything wrong with them.

In any case, I already shot through a tank trying to fix this thing so it will have to wait until tuesday before I play with it more.

athomas
05-31-2004, 11:34 AM
MAybe you have a damaged or bad carrier oring. Try changing the carrier o-ring and going through the setup process again.

The Spanish Inquisition
05-31-2004, 05:42 PM
cool I replaced all of the o rings, oiled it again and it now doesn't leak at all.

Now the problem I'm having is that it is venting (as if it is preventing a ball chop) during dry fire. It does this about once every 5 shots and never does it during fast fire. Also if I put a pen in front of the bolt it always resets.

any ideas?

what should I try?
new spring?

athomas
06-02-2004, 04:25 PM
What is your velocity setting? Does the venting go away if you increase the velocity?

How old is your bolt spring? It should be good for 40K - 50K shots at least, plus time sitting with the spring compressed ready for use, before it is worn out.

Make sure you are using the largest carrier that doesn't leak.