PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic Compressor

Butterfingers
05-31-2004, 11:29 AM
Random Thoughts....

Making a HPA compressor....

3000 psi pressure washer...

$600

3000 psi pressure vessel (scuba tank with special 2 way valve.)

$150

Water goes in one fitting displaced air comes out the other.

Thoughts?

SlartyBartFast
05-31-2004, 02:56 PM
Might work, but seems like too much bother.

You'd have to design the "apparatus" between the fitting. Some form of piston that can seal 3000psi liquid on one side and 3000psi air on the other.

Then you have to design the valves so that air can be asperated and water discharged. And how the piston reciprocates to expell the water.

Then you need to add a dehumidifier/condenser and perhaps a cooler to the air output .......

Perhaps just stick with what the HPA industry has available. ;)

Tunaman
05-31-2004, 05:09 PM
Or you could get this 10000 psi booster, gauges, and valves from me...then all you need is a silly shop compressor that can do 45psi and a scuba tank...email me. :D

SlartyBartFast
05-31-2004, 05:12 PM
Or you could get this 10000 psi booster, gauges, and valves from me...then all you need is a silly shop compressor that can do 45psi and a scuba tank...email me. :D

Where'd you get the booster? Haven't seen any that compressed to useful pressures from that low.

Tunaman
05-31-2004, 05:29 PM
The booster is from a major AeroSpace company...not a cheapo paintball booster. Email me for more details. ;)

Butterfingers
05-31-2004, 05:31 PM
na you wouldent need a piston...

Just put the water hose at the bottom of the tank and the air hose up top. The water will displace the air upwards.

All you would need is a modified t fitting for a scuba tank. Some fittings and a pressure washer.

You already have a 1 way valve on the fill nipple of the PBtank.

After one cycle you can vent the system disconnect the output hose from the tank to a shop compressor and blow the water back out.

trains are bad
05-31-2004, 08:13 PM
Oh come on guys...think :rolleyes:

Filling a scuba tank with 3000 psi water is going to yeild, like, one cubic milimeter of hpa. ;)

I guess if you have the patience it might only take a few hundred or thousand cycles. But then you could prolly pump it up by hand faster.

I remain scared of ignorant paintballers+HPA

Butterfingers
05-31-2004, 09:33 PM
Oh come on guys...think :rolleyes:

Filling a scuba tank with 3000 psi water is going to yeild, like, one cubic milimeter of hpa. ;)

I guess if you have the patience it might only take a few hundred or thousand cycles. But then you could prolly pump it up by hand faster.

I remain scared of ignorant paintballers+HPA

I love how people think this through before flaming... Thanks for calling me ignorant I must be a newb :rolleyes:

The average scuba tank filled at 3000 psi fills 80 cubic feet of air at 1 atm. Thats about the size of a telephone booth.

Now the average scuba tank is around 680 cubic inches.

The average PB tank is 68 cubic inches.

Using the ideal gas law pressure is inversely proportional to volume.

PV=NRT.... NRT cancels out since it is on both sides of the equation.

...so we plug and chug...

we end up with 147 psi per cycle

It would take a about 21 cycles to complete a full fill. Long time yes. But not impractical if there were a way to automate the process.

If we increase the volume of the tank by 4 fold say use a bank of 4 tanks not at all impractical we cut that down to about 5 cycles.

Now an intresting thing is if we prefill the tanks before the hydraulic compression say at 147 psi from a shop compressor then compress that... we get about 1470 psi per cycle. So... thats 2 cycles with one tank or ONE cycle with 2 tanks...

I guess im dumb...

;)

athomas
06-01-2004, 08:15 AM
Interesting. You would have to use a water/moisture filter at the output to keep vapour out of your 68ci tank. That would be easy, though. They make them.

It may not be practical for field setups, but a home user may benefit from something like this.

SlartyBartFast
06-01-2004, 10:50 AM
na you wouldent need a piston...

Just put the water hose at the bottom of the tank and the air hose up top. The water will displace the air upwards.

All you would need is a modified t fitting for a scuba tank. Some fittings and a pressure washer.

You already have a 1 way valve on the fill nipple of the PBtank.

After one cycle you can vent the system disconnect the output hose from the tank to a shop compressor and blow the water back out.

Alright, I see what you mean. But, you'll need to make sure no water gets out of the scuba into the PB tank, AND remove all the moisture from the air passing to the PB tank.

And has been said/asked, how many cycles would that take to fill?