PDA

View Full Version : chop?

Driv3n`
05-31-2004, 05:12 PM
I did some research on automags, and Alot of people are saying that The regular automag is Known for its chopping, and the only way to keep it from chopping balls is to get a level 10.

One person even called the automag a "blender". - What is all of this about?

I got this info from pbreviews.com

RevBrown
05-31-2004, 05:21 PM
It is called a blender because an automag will chop paint without the lvl 10 like no other. Although I didn't have to much of a problem chopping paint before my lvl 10. With a properly tuned lvl 10 you can stick your finger in the breach and pull the trigger. There is video around here of Tom Kaye sticking his tongue infront of the bolt.
I borrow cigarattes from smoker friends and put them in my gun to show off.
In other words a lvl 10 will not break paint in a mag.

http://www.automags.org/%7ETomAGD/lev10G.rm this is one of the videos

another one http://www.automags.org/%7ETomAGD/lvl10e.rm

Driv3n`
05-31-2004, 05:30 PM
So you have to buy an upgrade for the gun just to keep it from chopping paint? Thats crap. Talk about hidden charges.

RRfireblade
05-31-2004, 05:37 PM
All guns can and will chop paint,those that are capable of cycling in excess of 30cps are even more prone to do so.

Any device that will eliminate any possiblilty chopping paint,whether it be Eyes,Ram modifications,LPR's or Level 10 bolt systems are "upgrades" over the base model equiptment and guess what.........adds to the price. ;)

FYI,all currently available upper model Mags come stock with Level 10.

Driv3n`
05-31-2004, 05:45 PM
Do you think I'll have to worry about the chopping? I want a plain automag classic and Maybe a double trigger. I don't want the e-frame and all that.

RRfireblade
05-31-2004, 05:56 PM
If you feed it as fast as you can shoot you should be fine.It's really not any more prone to chop than any other,it's just that it's capable of such a high ROF compared to most other inexpensive guns that you may outshoot a slow hopper easier.

If your buying used,there's a good chance you'll find one with the Level 10 already installed,if not,it's only a $70 or so upgrade which is a complete bolt system that not only eliminates choping,but reduses blowback and greatly lowers the kick as it's one of the lightest bolt system available.Pretty good price for what you get.

ZapTheMad
05-31-2004, 06:55 PM
Get the Level 10. Leave your squeegie in your tool box.

I shot a classic mag for a while. Chopping isn't that big of a problem, not any worse than other guns. I have to say that my Spyder is more of a blender than my Mag. It's simple to clean a break, the barrel comes off in half a second and then another 3 to run a squeegie, then another half second it's back on. Done. It's really nice that the barrel comes off in a quarter turn.

But it's better to keep firing than to hide while you clean your barrel.

The Spanish Inquisition
05-31-2004, 07:02 PM
I agree. going to cocker threads was a retrograde in my opinion.

Driv3n`
05-31-2004, 08:07 PM
I want to get my Automag classic new, without any upgrades. I know its only 70 dollars for the level 10, but this automag is already pushing my budget, not to mention this is my first gun, So I want to keep the price down.

If I get a double trigger for my automag do you think the 12V Viewloader hopper will be fast enough to keep up and keep my gun from chopping?

Really all I want is a PLAIN,BASIC simple gun. Thats all I want for now.

bokraham
05-31-2004, 08:33 PM
the last 2 times I played with my stock minimag with level 7 bolt and rugular hopper I chopped a total of zero times. Get a normal mag and if you feel that you chop alot get a level 10

RevBrown
05-31-2004, 08:33 PM
With the ease of maintanance a basic mag should do you just fine.
You would be more than happy with that much. Really you don't have to upgrade a mag, but some things just make it nicer

Kinda like chocolate syrup on your ice cream.
It's good but the syrup makes it even better.

Driv3n`
05-31-2004, 08:56 PM
Yeah, I see what you guys are saying. I'm sure people could sit here all day and tell me upgrades that I need, but the fact is that I've NEVER owned a paintball gun before, and I'm sure that a Stock mag would be more than I could handle - I'm not looking for a Pro level gun, just something basic, and I'm sure that even a Stock automag classic is a great gun.

Duck Hunt
05-31-2004, 09:10 PM
Driv3n! Mags are great guns. A classic automag will be a good starter gun too! Its better than tippmanns and spyders any day, those also chop balls too! THe big thing on chopping balls is people fire the gun too fast for their loader to keep up! I have sworn off "agitated" loaders like the Revy or Empire reloader. The main thing to think about is too not fire faster than your feeder can load. EYES are put on guns because you can outshoot your loader and break a ball.

I broke alot of balls with my friends Impulse with a HALO because I can fire faster than the halo loads. Another thing that can cause ball breaks are bad paint balls. I've gotten alot of bad PMI Premiums that have chopped in alot of guns.

A good thing to do when you don't know ANYTHING about paintball is too research as much as you can. Don't take what everyone says as the golden truth though, because most uneducated people will tell you mags are blenders. I used a friends classic mag with no level 10 and yes, I chopped alot but I'm used to fireing 14 balls per second! But I only had a plastic loader on it if I had a revy it would have been better!

I hope you seriously consider a mag, they are made by an excellent company and are great guns, and even if you don't buy one keep hanging around here! We love helping people out who are new to the sport =)

Sean

the electrician
06-01-2004, 07:09 AM
I've owned and set-up several standard classic mags.

some with staock bolts and some used ones that had the ANS bolt in them.

NONE OF THEM were blenders.

as a matter of fact, my friend prided himself on the fact that he never needed to carry a squeegie, every time I broke a ball when I first got a cocker.

most people don't understand mags, or even their own guns.

sneakyhacker420
06-01-2004, 07:24 AM
yes, i gotta agree with the electrician

i took out my brother's L7 micromag out on the field the otherday and i was ripping HARDCORE on that classic valve - i did a good 11 over the chrono with the medusa frame i had on there

i didnt chop ONCE with it and its ANS bolt

people say that ANS is crap, but i gotta say that their bolt rocks at stopping breaks

may i also add that it was the quietest mag that i've ever shot

i was amazed by the performance of the classic valve after a year and a half with a retro valve in my hands

so if they wanna call it a blender, they can, its 99% shooter error if your automag chops

Driv3n`
06-01-2004, 10:42 AM
Thanks alot for your help, now I'm really stuck on getting a mag. It's nice not having to do research anymore, because that's all I've been doing for the past 3 weeks!

I'm getting the 12V Viewloader hopper with my gun, it feeds 12 BPS I believe, and I DOUBT I can shoot more than 4-5 bps with my single trigger mag, so I don't have to worry about Out Shooting my hopper.

When I get my gun I'll post pics of it (oh yay you get to see pics of a classic mag!!!!!! - Don't act to excited) - but I'm pretty excited about getting it, all I can think about is paintball and the gun im getting, seriously.

*KOMA*
06-01-2004, 11:33 AM
I understand what Driv3n is saying though. If AGD has identified a problem with their product {they obviously did in designing the LX} it should be a stock part on all of their guns and in addition anyone with a L7 or earlier bolt should be able to send their gear back for an upgrade and just pay S&H {and/or a very nominal fee}. But that would only happen in a perfect world, and well...

68automagpwnr
06-01-2004, 12:01 PM
also one thing that many people do that even i have caught myself doing is short stroking. Everytime you shoot you have to pull the trigger all the way back and let go, if you dont complete this then you will chop. LATER

Raven001
06-01-2004, 12:03 PM
Just to add my two cents worth, make sure you get the power fed mag. If you get the stock mag, the blow back will break balls in your hopper when you get down to the last ten or so....

Eatem Alive
06-01-2004, 12:05 PM
I understand what Driv3n is saying though. If AGD has identified a problem with their product {they obviously did in designing the LX} it should be a stock part on all of their guns and in addition anyone with a L7 or earlier bolt should be able to send their gear back for an upgrade and just pay S&H {and/or a very nominal fee}. But that would only happen in a perfect world, and well...
i disagree, there is not a problem with the product, it's all in how you pull the trigger and what type of hopper you are using. the LX is just an upgrade...a very good upgrade. if chopping paint is a design flaw, then WGP should retro every cocker with eyes or something, those are the true blenders in my opinion. driv3n, you will love your mag. there is no other gun like it as far as durability and reliability. you can sometimes find good used deals with the LX already on the gun. check the classifieds here, or ebay.

Dayspring
06-01-2004, 12:06 PM
It's not a problem with the product. Any and every gun can and will chop at some point in its life. It's the way things work.

Every company has come out with a way around it; eyes, anti-chop bolts, low pressure regulators.

Welcome to paintball, where the gun you buy from the factory comes needing upgrading.

Dayspring
06-01-2004, 12:18 PM
Then don't buy an impulse, shocker, eblade, matrix or anything else.

Shocker/Matrix- have to buy a $100 bolt kit to make the thing half-way decent on air.

Impulse- First Shot Drop Off. Have to buy an LPR and tapeworm

Cocker/Eblade- the king of upgrading. You can spend more than the original purchase price of the gun on upgrades.

So you have to buy an upgrade for the gun just to keep it from chopping paint? Thats crap. Talk about hidden charges.