PDA

View Full Version : Why cocker threads?

automager_07
06-01-2004, 09:42 PM
What is the advantage of having the cocker threads for the ULE mainbody?

i_baked_cookies
06-01-2004, 09:44 PM
i think just about every make and model of barrel comes in autococker threads. the only downside is that it takes like 15 days to unscrew your barrel.

NJPaint
06-01-2004, 09:45 PM
i think just about every make and model of barrel comes in autococker threads. the only downside is that it takes like 15 days to unscrew your barrel.

huh? I don't understand this comment. If by 15 days you mean 5 seconds longer then a twist lock then yes, this statement is correct...

ZapTheMad
06-01-2004, 09:57 PM
Cocker barrels are widely avalable at any place that sells paintball equipment.

bunkerhugger
06-01-2004, 11:03 PM
Cocker barrels hold in the body more stably, allowing trouble free operation of the level 10. While a standard Mag barrel should theoretically stay in place, there is a higher chance of wiggle than on a cocker barrel. The cocker barrel can also be used to hold in breech modules on the Xmag.

Driv3n`
06-02-2004, 11:33 AM
15 days to unscrew the barrel - LOL.

Boy oh Boy do I Love atuomags.

HurtZ_dOunut-ryan
06-02-2004, 08:39 PM
well u can look at it this way u dont have to change the o rings on the cocker barrel like u do on the automag barrels ;)

the electrician
06-02-2004, 10:27 PM
let's face it.

the only reason that AGD used, and uses the twist lock barrel is because the mag body is just a piece of steel tubing. it's not machined, and doesn't need to be machined. the barrel, any barrel, has to be machined no matter what gun it goes on. so why machine two pieces, when it's cheaper just to machine one. it is a solution to the problem, and that's all.

why do you need to quickly remove the barrel? your gun chop alot of paint? my mag never did chop alot. the twist lock barrel moves when you fire the gun. for how long does it move after the gun is fired? I don't know, but I've always been curious if it is still moving when the next shot is fired, at high bps (16+).

cocker threaded barrels are common. they could have used thier own, but less people would buy ULE bodies if they had to buy a brand new barrel too.

now I don't like the fact that it takes cocker barrels and angel feednecks and ball detents. but there again, angel feednecks are probably the most common ones to find, and used ones too. the ball detent, it's a toss up in my book.

GoatBoy
06-02-2004, 10:42 PM
I loved the old twist lock design...

but how are you going to eye (reflective or break-beam) a twist-lock barrel?

Halliday
06-02-2004, 11:13 PM
but how are you going to eye (reflective or break-beam) a twist-lock barrel?
You don't :)

RES=Mr.Green
06-03-2004, 05:15 AM
Another thing to think about is it was a bore drop barrel. Which means that the ball is already in the barrel and doesn't move around. Hence better accuracy and less chance of the ball chopping. As for the twist lock being cheaper then why when you buy a barrel the twist locks where always 20 dollars more?

Pain For Pleasure
06-03-2004, 02:26 PM
Another thing to think about is it was a bore drop barrel. Which means that the ball is already in the barrel and doesn't move around. Hence better accuracy and less chance of the ball chopping. As for the twist lock being cheaper then why when you buy a barrel the twist locks where always 20 dollars more?The barrel might be more, but the bodies were cheaper. Since AGD didn't get the profits from aftermarket barrels, its more economic to lower costs of what you do make.

Skoad
06-03-2004, 02:45 PM
1) abundance of cocker threaded guns already, lots of barrels out there
2) most companies have or would have dropped the twist lock design
3) most of the time mag barrels cost another $10 or so

trains are bad
06-03-2004, 06:09 PM
Because Mr automag was not too proud to use a thread standard from a competing design. Because he's cool like that. He could have invented a propriotary automag thread.

1ofkind
06-03-2004, 06:32 PM
Doesn't every hot gun have cocker threads?

Its the rule of the book I guess... (the unwritten book of the hot guns)