PDA

View Full Version : chevy nerd needed.

Tobe2be
06-02-2004, 10:13 AM
Ok its time to finish my motor thats been sitting down for ages.. at the moment i have a RED chevy motor (pre 79 i think) its pretty much stock. I need suggestions on Intake Carb Cam Heads. just to match things up nicely i got a turbo 350 tranny w/ shift kit. so lets here your opinions.. i was planning on a jg edelbrock intake w/ 650 edelbrock carb and a 282 cam w some ls1/corvette roller rocker heads. thanks in advance. not trying to spend a ton just want a nice bang for the buck. and its mostly street w some strip.

RRfireblade
06-02-2004, 10:21 AM
If you want to keep it simple and take the guess work out,I put the Performer kit on last summer and I'd have to say it's quite impressive.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/index.html

Look under Power Package Concept.

Tobe2be
06-02-2004, 10:35 AM
well which one did you get and what did you spend. let me know thanks cuz these sounds like a really nice setup

GA Devil
06-02-2004, 10:53 AM
dont get the edlebrock carb. get the carter...its the EXACT same carb except u dont have to pay for the name. Ill work on the rest of the formula later. I built a 375 hp 350 for about 2k ground up and it ws fairly decent on gas at same time. U have a machine shop for boring and decking?

RRfireblade
06-02-2004, 11:04 AM
Mmm,don't remember the $$ exactly. It was around $700 IIRC.

Performer RPM 'cept w/ the Victor intake.That was 1 1/2yrs age so pricing may have changed.

Dyno'd @ 420HP at the wheels.

And I wouldn't sweat the Edelbrock carb issue either,thier not exacly pricey,not like a Holley. ;)

Tobe2be
06-02-2004, 11:26 AM
Cris i have the machine shop to bore and deck but i really didnt want to go all out like that i wanted to leave the block the way it is and work on the top end. but if you convince me i think i might do it... im looking to do decent track times and at the same time drive it in the street. also what shifter should i be looking at. i like the hurst but not sure if its worth the cash.

GA Devil
06-02-2004, 12:49 PM
ok what is all this going in? what are you wanting out of it? you want a torque monster or what? what kinda mileage you looking to get out of it? You want to keep it all under hood or maybe run a functional cowl? what rear you gonna run? what type of track you refering to? How much you locking the cost at? i would honestly recommend boring when building even if its only minimal. I was going thru my catalogs at lunch and the stats of motors ive already built (i try to keep all the recipes in case i want to recreate....lol) and was putting some ideas together. let me know some of this.

Tobe2be
06-02-2004, 01:20 PM
ok im not looking to get 100k miles out the car but i would like at least 2-3 years with this car without having to do mayor motor work. track to me means 1/4 mile. i really dont like cowl hoods but i will consider it. atm i have a 86 ss monte carlo rear. i think its a 282. i know this rear doesnt really cruise with a 350 tranny cuz of the gear ratios but i like the way it feels on my friends cutlass. but GA just tell me what your thinking and i will see if we can work on that... im looking looking to spend tons.. im thinking at most 1k. you also got to remember that i need to get a shell for this beast. lol

edit...
i can get almost any type of shell i need.

punkncat
06-02-2004, 04:32 PM
If you don't even have a car yet , here is an idea.
Go buy a 2nd gen RX7 with a blown motor and trans. They are everywhere and really cheap , with good bodies.
Go to Granny's speed shop and buy the small block conversion kit for the RX. Get shorty headers and a low rise intake and carb. Get a compact water pump and an electric fan to cool the rad. Tool a little while to make it all happen and enjoy a super fast , great handling little sports car that will be sure to suprize a few folks.

I did this to an 88 w/ a 305 and it was wonderful.

Tobe2be
06-02-2004, 04:42 PM
thanks but no. thats not old school muscle thats a hybrid. thanks for the info though.