PDA

View Full Version : Evil Pipe Review Help....

Falcon1
06-02-2004, 06:23 PM
OK heres the deal im thinking about buying a Evil Pipe kit but i dont know if it is any good.

So what you guys think about it?

Thanks for any input. :confused:

1ofkind
06-02-2004, 06:30 PM
If your just after a general bore its great, but if you want a perfect fit because your useing a closed bolt gun you want a freak kit. Pipe is pron the best quality, and soon they'll have 5 colors to chose from and 10 inch tips.

Falcon1
06-02-2004, 06:33 PM
So are you saying that it will not work good with An Rt?

mark_426
06-02-2004, 06:58 PM
I liked mine on my RT

Some say its loud, whatever, its mainly the marker.

I never had a problem with barrel fit, and I used it with a bunch of different paints. I shot 2500 marbalizers one day, no breaks, and the RT did great.

I like 2-piece over three piece, I have had CP, Switch, Kaner, Freak, Pipe, etc.

Never had a problem, I loved the way it looked (different drop of course):

Carbon
06-02-2004, 07:17 PM
2 in. Evil Pipe Barrel Kit. Silver to black fade Annodizing. Bought from discountpaintball.com for $175.00

Five backs, they are 6 In. thread to thread. First impression, wow they are beautiful. Internally, the backs are anno'd nicely and are mirror smooth. The tip on the other hand is a little less smooth, almost a light satin/matte finnish. It shouldnt affect performance i suspect.

There are four rows of porting, each row having 11 holes, total of 44 ports. They are drilled at an acute angle relative to the front end of the barrel. The sound register is low, as in bassy. so it may seem louder

Take caution, dont drop the tips. The front end of the tips are milled down to about a 1/16th of an inch, so becareful diving or sliding in. "Coincedentaly", evil makes newer tips that are a bit more beefy.

Ranger
06-02-2004, 09:20 PM
The Evil Pipe is a very nice barrel kit. Although it only has five backs, they are all the main sizes so it's really not that much different than one with a lot more backs (or inserts). It's designed so that if you break a ball, after a few shots it will be clean again, which is a plus. Another thing I like is the kit comes in a pretty compact tube. This makes it much easier to put in a gear bag than say the Freak in it's case, IMO. Also, go to your field and see if anybody will let you use theirs, if you already haven't. I haven't used mine much, but I've had no problems with the barrel, and I love the look.

Blazestorm
06-02-2004, 09:24 PM
I liked my pipe on my old cocker :D

But I've decided to go with a "standard" barrel or just keep the 2 freaks I have =P

That one that SLiceNDice makes is pretty slick

Falcon1
06-02-2004, 10:02 PM
So most of you like it and it is easyer to deal with than the frk. Ohh ya Like the fact that it is a pipe than a box. Thats a plus to me

yeahthatsme
06-02-2004, 11:17 PM
If your just after a general bore its great, but if you want a perfect fit because your useing a closed bolt gun you want a freak kit. Pipe is pron the best quality, and soon they'll have 5 colors to chose from and 10 inch tips.

that makes no sense at all.

Bulldog
06-02-2004, 11:34 PM
that makes no sense at all.
My thoughts exactly...

Pipes are ok. Some of the early ones had gaps between the control bore and the tips. Some of the tips are delicate too. I think they are correcting that tho. Pretty smooth control bore, basically if you get a good one, great, otherwise there's some out there with quality control issues. PMI has pretty good customer service. I had a pipe for a while, but I sold it for those issues.

No sKiLLz
06-03-2004, 11:57 AM
Kaner. For less money you'll get the same mirror finish, more tips and only one less control bore. The major beef I have with the pipe is how loud it is from the reverse porting.

rkjunior303
06-03-2004, 01:00 PM
I love my pipe.. Accurate and it cleans very well, even though it's a bit loud -- but who cares. Not like you're some uber-stealth-sniper.

As for the tips, the original tips are a bit thin so you have to be careful. They also have the Ultra Evil tips, which take care of that. I'm not sure if the new pipes have the new tips or not.

No sKiLLz
06-03-2004, 04:40 PM
I love my pipe.. Accurate and it cleans very well, even though it's a bit loud -- but who cares. Not like you're some uber-stealth-sniper.

As for the tips, the original tips are a bit thin so you have to be careful. They also have the Ultra Evil tips, which take care of that. I'm not sure if the new pipes have the new tips or not.
Why not get a quieter and cheaper kit with a similar if not better finish and two extra tips? Is the extra control bore that important?

mark_426
06-03-2004, 05:00 PM
Not to argue no-skillz, but just trying to help him make a decision by having more peoples perspectives of different options.

Once I found a tip length, the rest stayed in the case/pack thing (kaner's is def. cheaper).

I usually play back, so I never smashed any tips (a teammate did smash his Infinity barrel's tip that day).

Personally, would use another bore more than 2 extra tips.

If anything, buy the extra pipe tip, and use one for airball, the other for hyper/woods whatever.

1ofkind
06-03-2004, 06:25 PM
If you got a mag bore isn't a real issue. I would just get a 10 inch ultra ligh off ebay for 30$, or a armson.

pointm@n
06-03-2004, 07:07 PM
I've got a 10" all black Pipe kit and I love it. I prefer smaller barrels, so having multiple tips is not big on my list. The other tips would just stay in my gear bag anyways. It is louder than most barrels, but I don't mind it at all. I'm not trying to be a "sniper" or anything, so that doesn't affect me. I haven't broken a ball in it so I wouldn't know how it shoots through a break. I think it has enough bores too, who needs that many bores anyways? i've found myself using the 689, 693 mostly; but I've also used the 695 before.

Got my pipe kit for $130 shipped to my doorstep.

The tip seems pretty sturdy. It is REALLY thin at the end though. I can see how that can get bent or dinged pretty easily. I dont' do any crazy super man dives so I think I'm safe.

July

rkjunior303
06-03-2004, 07:59 PM
Ive seen the kits go NEW for $125 or less on PBN, etc... Just gott asearch.. Not a bad price, if you ask me, for a great kit that looks nice and performs well.

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
06-03-2004, 09:14 PM
honestly i think it's a waste of money, i have one right now but i almost never use it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the stock barrel on my mag.

but if you got the money to burn, go for it.

Fade
06-03-2004, 09:38 PM
I've got an Evil Pipe kit, and I've played 3 tournaments with it so far, and not 1 break yet !!

There was one time my paint looked like a chop or barrel break... splashed paint outta the barrel tip, but when I checked it out after the game... clean!

It either broke and self cleaned, or it JUST broke outside the tip of the barrel.

I'm 100% satisfied with my pipe kit!

jayloo
06-04-2004, 09:37 AM
I owned one then sold it here on AO.

It was a good barrel but...

1. I usually only ever used 1 back size.
2. I felt it was much louder than other barrels I have shot (dye ultralite - which I shoot now).
3. The material at the tip of the barrel is really thin and I have heard reports that some folks have bent/smashed them.

I had absolutey no problems with mine. I just did not like it for the above reasons.

Yay...this is my 900th post :D

1ofkind
06-04-2004, 11:02 PM
SuiciDal Sn Y p ER honestly i think it's a waste of money, i have one right now but i almost never use it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the stock barrel on my mag.

Listen to him, hes smart!

1ofkind If you got a mag bore isn't a real issue. I would just get a 10 inch ultra ligh off ebay for 30$, or a armson.

Wow listen to him to, hes pretty smart also!

vonort
06-04-2004, 11:25 PM
I have seen about 6 different pipes go by me. Out of the 6 at least 3 of them had bores that did not line up with the fronts. Bad quality if you ask me. Overall if you have the money the best barrel you can buy is a Hammerhead kit. I am no way sponsored by them or have any affiliation with them. I have been playing since 1986, and the Hammerhead is hands down the BEST barrel I have ever shot. But then again that is just MHO.

Crazy
06-05-2004, 01:10 AM
how about a ramrod?

SpecialBlend2786
06-05-2004, 01:16 AM
how about a ramrod?

I didn't know they made those still.