PDA

View Full Version : How to protect yourself from a scammer (money order)

Skoad
06-03-2004, 07:25 PM
Is there anyway to protect myself from a scammer if he wants me to pay via money order?

SIGSays
06-03-2004, 07:27 PM
if you buy a gov money order from the post office.. they can try to scam you.. but you can report it since... they keep track of it...

The Spanish Inquisition
06-03-2004, 07:49 PM
Anything over $100 us I make it a point to get a phone number and address of the seller. then I make contact. Never ship a money order to a P.O. Box and insist that they have a return address on the package. (for some reason even legit sellers forget this).
you could also see if the seller will take a personal check and send the item when the check clears. This is safer because if the check gets lost in the mail you are not out the money, and you find out where the person does his/her banking.

hope that helps a little. I've been ripped off a couple times and it's a real pain. make sure the money your saving on whatever item this is is well worth it. Saving 20 bucks might not be worth 2 weeks of agony trying to track down some deadbeat seller.

yakitori
06-03-2004, 08:09 PM
postal money order. If he trys to steal the money, report it to the USPS. that is mail fraud, a felony, and a federal offense. That is why I use postal money orders w/ all my orders. Also, you can tell if they have been cashed. They should be able to track the MO and find the endorsement and location it was cashed. Then, that will lead them to the person responsible for it. If it does get stolen and cashed, you can file paperwork w/ the PO and they will refund your money to you and pursue the person who stole it to get their money back for it. USPS money order if you ever do money orders. Ive sent stuff to ppl of 310 bucks through Postal MOs, and I have never had a problem. Also, dont buy from someone who has no feedback. Always ask for some kind of feedback. If they dont have any, wait for someone else to sell what you are looking for or buy it new.

Duck Hunt
06-03-2004, 08:37 PM
TRY to do everything by PayPal, its the safest way to do online auctions or sales. I know sometimes you might not have a checking account and can't do it but money orders can have their own problems.

Yes, it is a federal offense to scam someone with a money order. BUT I used a money order to buy a 700 dollar bass amp from a guy in California. He was legit but IT GOT LOST IN THE MAIL. And trust me, its a PAIN to get your money back, if someone hasn't cashed it, it will take 90 days to CANCEL the money order, then the USPS will reissue you a new money order, which you can either SEND to the guy again or cash it yourself.

PayPal is the way to go, every transaction is logged by your bank so if he doesn't send or screws you, you will have a legal copy saying you paid =)

Sean

robertjuric
06-03-2004, 10:24 PM
TRY to do everything by PayPal, its the safest way to do online auctions or sales. I know sometimes you might not have a checking account and can't do it but money orders can have their own problems.

Yes, it is a federal offense to scam someone with a money order. BUT I used a money order to buy a 700 dollar bass amp from a guy in California. He was legit but IT GOT LOST IN THE MAIL. And trust me, its a PAIN to get your money back, if someone hasn't cashed it, it will take 90 days to CANCEL the money order, then the USPS will reissue you a new money order, which you can either SEND to the guy again or cash it yourself.

PayPal is the way to go, every transaction is logged by your bank so if he doesn't send or screws you, you will have a legal copy saying you paid =)

Sean

I'm sorry but I must disagree. Paypal can NOT get your money refunded if you get ripped, while with the USPS you'll eventually get it back. Would you rather wait a while and get the money back, or never see it again? Yes, it would be a pain to wait 90 days, but then who said getting ripped in the first place was enjoyable?

ZapTheMad
06-03-2004, 10:45 PM
I agree about paypal. I got ripped off and paypal did nothing to get my money back. So now I'm out $200 and I don't have the HPA tank either. Buyer protection is a bunch of hogwash. I even downgraded my account because paying those fees for buyer protection is a waste of money.

You cannot protect yourself from scams. If you don't trust the person, don't send the money, period. Check for trading feedback before making your decision.

If you do get scammed, what then? I've filed complaint after complaint with every organization out there regarding internet fraud. I'm still out $200 and no tank...

Don't ever believe you are protected. The authorities won't waste thier time with some small transaction. Get ripped off for $10,000 and maybe they will do something. But don't count on it.

Halliday
06-03-2004, 11:24 PM
I use PayPal. When ttoad4000t tried to rip me off $30 PayPal got my $$ back :)

Destructo6
06-04-2004, 12:00 AM
I got scammed on an Internet deal. Not much, just $110. Paid by US Postal money order. They guy is in jail now on mail and wire fraud charges.

Keep the stub and fill out the information on it. If it has not been cashed, you can redeem it at the post office for a nominal charge ($5) and cursory investigation. If it was cashed, you will need the stub for the FBI investigation.

The FBI maintains an Internet fraud division. Contact them and the Sheriff of the county in which the thief lives (or used as a mailing address).

http://www1.ifccfbi.gov/index.asp

Dryden
06-04-2004, 02:23 PM
Agreed. Get the money order from either the USPS or directly from your bank. Make a copy of everything you're sending and keep along with the carbon copy from the MO. Send it 2/3 day USPS Priority and purchase the delivery confirmation for the extra 45 cents. The MO purchase fee and priority shipping will total about $4.00, but you'll be able to track everything from the day the envelope is delivered to the seller to the day the MO is cashed.

SlartyBartFast
06-04-2004, 03:28 PM
Get them to use Western Union (and have them pay any fees). If you're the one being paid, there's nothing they can do to scam you.

If they only want to use a money order or cashier's check, no problem. Just don't send them anything unti the check clears "THE ISSUING BANK"! Note that is not when the check clears your bank and is deposited. It is when all the transfers are finished and the originationg bank has cleared it.

If it's a forgery, you MAY have some explaining to do but you should be plenty safe.

punkncat
06-04-2004, 03:34 PM
I also use USPS MO whenever possible. As has been stated before they will do the footwork for you to recover the money and prosecute.
Use delivery confirmation , and you can also ask for a signature upon reciept.
And as has already been said , if you don't trust the seller or don't feel good about the transaction then do yourself a favor and leave the deal alone.

Generally if it seems too good to be true then it probably is.