PDA

View Full Version : Can I run co2 into a cocker without a reg?

m20power
06-04-2004, 12:47 PM
Hello there,

I am working on my project cocker at the moment.
I looked at the parts I have and I currently have a foregrip that can act as an expansion chamber. I didnt want to have to spend the money on an external regulator and I have seen people who just run a gas line straight to the ASA.
Im wondering If I can do this with CO2 and if so are there any special valves or springs that I have to use.

I was looking at this...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3681404183&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1
But to save cost I may end up buying the parts one by one. Would the unit from ebay work with co2? Thanks.

06-04-2004, 01:19 PM
Nope, you can't because the relation of input pressure and output dwell in a cocker valve is much like a bell curve... if you input them with unregged co2 you won't be able to get the valve open long enough

That's also why there exists sweetspotting input pressure on cockers.

Kevmaster
06-04-2004, 01:26 PM
possible? yes.

recommended? not at all.

I'd strongly recommend against it, however it IS possible

m20power
06-04-2004, 01:27 PM
I sort of figured that but I figured hey why not ask AO since they know tons more than me.

I sweetspotted the reg on my current cocker and the input preassure is 300psi. When I cranked it up to 400psi on accident I had to turn in the velocity adjuster a lot to get it up to 190fps.

Its called volumetric efficiency right? How you hit a point where more air actually slows things down. I remember from autoshop how if a hole is too small it wont flow enough but if its too big it wont flow with enough speed and will end up being just as slow as a tiny hole. You have to find a comfortable midpoint.

Edit: I could toss on my apocalypse 68/4500. A 100 dollar cocker with a 400 dollar air tank. :p

Destructo6
06-04-2004, 02:37 PM
Yes, you can. My old 1995 Autococker ran on unregulated (anti-siphoned) CO2 and an expansion chamber for about a year. That was a pretty typical setup then and some screwed the bottle directly into the VA.

I can't say it was particularly consistant or reliable with that setup and with the stock LPR.

punkncat
06-04-2004, 03:43 PM
Yes you can run it that way. It will require you to use an appropriate spring set up. Something quite stiff on the hammer.
Make sure to use a stock valve/pin. Many of the aftermarket valves out are specialized to operate under lower pressures. Really the valve pin is usually milled to allow greater flow around it. Smaller pin size results in a loss of strength. A hard main spring slapping into it with the pressure of the unregulated gas on the other side will bend it.

If you run the tank vertically it will actually perform better than a horizontal tank w/o an anti siphon. It will draw gas off the top instead of pulling liquid.
It will help if you use as big a tank as you can stand and only half fill it. Old cockers were made to run on CO2 and can be quite consistant with it.

m20power
06-04-2004, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the info anyone.
Hey Punkcat, can you tell me if the valve set from ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1
is designed for low preassure?
I have nothing against running the gun with a reg. Im just trying to see what I am going to have to buy.
If I cant find a cheap reg I will just use my Air America Black Ice and then get something else to replace it that newer and lighter. Im told the new CP regs are pretty nice.

Blazestorm
06-04-2004, 06:30 PM
What happens is there is TOO much pressure holding the valve in, so when the lug slams forward, it opens the valve barely, not allowing it to flow.

That's why its recommended to turn your reg down to nearly nothing then slowly turn it up, same goes for the LPR.

Have fun =)