PDA

View Full Version : D-Day, Let us remember

behemoth
06-06-2004, 11:58 AM
To all the boys that died that day on the beaches of Normandy, France.

God Bless.

http://www.3dflags.com/assets/XV21AE/gif/2/u/3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.gifhttp://www.3dflags.com/assets/XV21AE/gif/2/u/3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.gif http://www.3dflags.com/assets/XV21AE/gif/2/u/3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.gif

Kevmaster
06-06-2004, 12:12 PM
amen....god bless our troops....past and present

those boys over there on the beaches of france...saved democracy for the world. they truly are the best generation. our generations can only hope to live up to their glory

behemoth
06-06-2004, 02:00 PM
If it werent for us, the french would be speaking german. (now they wont support us at all) :rolleyes:

Go see "Saving Private Ryan" today, go rent it. Then imagine that one of those guys were you.

gamarada717
06-06-2004, 02:20 PM
Tonight in my clans bf1942 match, we're going to line up in pre match, and march around the battlefield, then stop, turn, and fire 3 shots. I think it's a good way to remember and show respect for the men who died.

fire1811
06-06-2004, 02:51 PM
the history channel has some great stuff on today

Konigballer
06-06-2004, 02:59 PM
yeah gamarada, i'm sure the guys who were slaughtered on Ohmahha or lost their best friends in Normandy would be honored that their scarring wartime experiences have been turned into online entertainment for ya'.

If anything, today would be the day to set aside your clan match out of respect for the REAL battles your countrymen fought and died in durring WW2 and what they did on this date.

OysterBoy
06-06-2004, 03:06 PM
Anyone else find it odd they hardly have any meantion of the russians and what they did? They held Moscow for crying out loud, the turning point in the war. More russians died then any allied force. Not saying that our guys were any less of heros, Im just saying, we should be grateful for everyone who fought on the allied side.

Kevmaster
06-06-2004, 03:09 PM
yep... the russians lost about 20m troop...thats a LOT!

a lot of factors won the war, but the invasion of Russia sure helped

nt2004
06-06-2004, 03:23 PM
yeah the invasion of russia was a huge part of the war. Its one of hitlers worst mistakes and it was also the turning point in the war. You have to understand though that this is America and we are probably going to celebrate what our troops did a little more than what another country's troops did ;)

Konigballer
06-06-2004, 03:41 PM
I agree that russia deserves the bulk of the credit, militarily, for defeating the Third Reich.

You simply cant argue the facts about how crucial the Eastern Front was to overall victory. Germany's forces had already lost all chances of overall victory long before we ever hit the beaches, but by opening up the second front we definitely hastened the complete collapse of Nazi Germany.

The Wehrmacht took 80% of its casualties in the entire war on the Eastern Front, period. That was the decisive front in the European Theater. Once you cut through all the flag waving and national pride, that fact alone speaks volumes about the credit the Russians deserve in that fight.

But D-Day is about OUR contribution to victory over the nazis and the sacrafice of our guys. But yes, normally there is not as much credit given to the ruskies in America....but thats probably because we live in America silly :p

OysterBoy
06-06-2004, 03:48 PM
That would be ok, if it weren't for the fact i live in Canada. We are supposed to be some of the most knowledgable (:D) and thoughtful people, and yet we have no idea, the majority of us, what the red army went through. I put Red Army in my MSN cause it looked cool, but then I did a little research. The more I read the more interested I became, and now I am proud to have Red Army in my name, although I realise I could do more to honor the fallen reds. I am polish, so i suppose I owe a lot to them.

dj89
06-06-2004, 03:57 PM
my grandmas cusion ways in Dday my famliy was invited to go to the 60 th thing. but i have school :( .

Konigballer
06-06-2004, 04:30 PM
oysterboy, if your Polish, you might not want to have that sickle and hammer in your sig. I would read some more about the Eastern Front if I were you. You guys got the short end of the stick big time by both the nazis and the commies during the war.

Aside from the killing and deportation to Siberia of over 1million people from Soviet controlled areas of Poland and Lithuania from 1939 to the begining of Operation Barbarosa in 1941,you might also want to look up stuff about the massacre of between 4000-5000 Polish army officers by the soviets in the Katyn Forest. The russians did'nt even admit they did it until 1990.

...but then again, the hammer and sickle is a cool looking logo :)

OysterBoy
06-06-2004, 04:48 PM
That's all true, but say Russia had done absolutely nothing, wouldn't it be fair to say we'd have it even worse? I read some stats for the main percentages of religions for the 1940s and I'm almost sure Polan had some 80% Judaism, making them key target for Hitler, no?

gamarada717
06-06-2004, 04:49 PM
You know what Konig Baller, my grand father stormed the beach at Normandy, so you can just take your "have fun with an online experience" crap and shut it. You just lost all respect that I had for you.

OysterBoy
06-06-2004, 04:50 PM
You know what Konig Baller, my grand father stormed the beach at Normandy, so you can just take your "have fun with an online experience" crap and shut it. You just lost all respect that I had for you.

...Not sure how that has anything to do with what he said, but ok....

Konigballer
06-06-2004, 06:02 PM
I guess your right, but Poland was kind of in a no win situation regardless.

gamarada, my suggestions earlier had nothing to do with your grandfather's service durring WW2, but with your trivializing the events of that war, and D-Day in particular, by "honoring" the anniversry of D-Day while playing a game that turns the horror of World War 2 into entertainment.

I dont have a problem with FPS games at all or the people who play them. I love them. I just think it underscores how ridiculously little you can even comprehend what happened on D-Day that you would think that that was an appropriate way to pay tribute to the veterens.

I was'nt at D-Day and I can read books all my life and never TRUELY have an idea about what its like to have bullets fly around me or see my friends die in front of me. However, I know enough to grasp how important that day was and to not trivialize it by "honoring" it with a friggin' clan match in BF1942. You get it yet?

gamarada717
06-06-2004, 06:16 PM
First off, it's just a game. And what do you think a reinactment is? It's to show people just how it really was. True, Battlefield is not a replica of war, but if you wanted to use your imagination a little, you can get a sense. I will have honered soldiers 3 times today, first by church, second by going to an air show and listening to a speach by some captain, and then singing the our nation's song, and third by what we plan on doing tonight in the match. Your oppinions aside, I think what we are going to do isn't dishonering anybody.

Someone earlier mentioned to go and see Saving Private Ryan, and you didn't say anything about that. A movie is a form of entertainment just as much as a game. I enjoy learning about world war 2 just as much as you probably, and I know how you could practically walk on bodies all the way across the beach. Think about it....If you saw a video of our little animated soldiers march around the field, and then stop and fire three shots in the air, and you knew that it was a tribute to D day, could you honestly look me in the face and say that it was dishonering soldiers?

Konigballer
06-06-2004, 06:41 PM
I never said it was "dishonoring" the soldiers, I just said it was'nt a good way to "honor" them. Read my posts. I would'nt think you would ever do something to intentionally "dishonor" D-Day or the veterens, I just thought that setting up some clan match in a video game as a way to honor those soldiers was trivializing the sacrafices they made in some respects.

Play BF1942 every day for all I care, I just thought it was the wrong way to "honor" the veterens on THIS day. I guess we'll just agree to disagree, but while your at it go kill a few krauts for me :)

I did'nt jump on the SPR suggestion cause frankly the only way you can get most americans to learn about anything is to make a movie out of it. If watching that gets someone to pick up a book or talk to a relative then I guess its a pretty good start. Saving Private Ryan, though entertaining, was made from the start to give a glimpse into the horror of war and the sacrafices made by the generation that fought in it. It edjucated people by shocking them out of their ignorance to the reality's of war and in that respect it is a very good movie. Battlefield 1942 was made to be a very entertaining videogame that used WW2 as a backdrop to allow you to frag your buddies and strangers online.

SPR could be said to have been made with slightly loftier intentions than an online war game. but whatever gets the job done I guess.

OysterBoy
06-06-2004, 07:22 PM
Just as an aside, when I watched SPR, I was in fact entertained, but more of the time I was horrified and 'pierced'. I realized that the events taking place most likely did happen, if not worse things and thinking about my grandpa and great uncles plights was something that got to me, even though they survived.

Interesting story, before my grandpa died he told me that he and his crew (He was tailgunner on a bomber, I beleive) witnessed a UFO. It was night time, and normally you don't fly behind an ally, other wise they have no choice but to open fire. So as they were about to shoot this 'thing', it increased in speed Incredibly ('Like Satan running from a hell far worse', my Bob said) and stradled right beside them for about 5 minutes. Bob (grandpa) was trying to shoot at it but the cables which made sure they didn't shoot them selves were holding him. He described the ship as looking like some kind of a whale with lights and more speed then they could beleive. In a minute, it zipped past them at an ever faster rate, and then it was gone. He had taken me aside to tell me this as he was wary of telling storys about the war.

Interesting, no?

devildog
06-07-2004, 11:45 PM
I guess your right, but Poland was kind of in a no win situation regardless.

poland has been in a no win situation since the 1800's. its amazing how many times different countries have tried to wipe poland off the face of the earth, but we're still here :headbang:

another major turning point, or more of a helping point in the war was when poland decifered the german enigma code, and then shared with the allies so they can finally break german encoded transmitions. maybe we should celebrate poland :hail:

oh well, i guess we should honor d-day, everyone who fought on it, all countries, and you guys should stop arguing about it.

SlartyBartFast
06-08-2004, 10:55 AM
If it werent for us, the french would be speaking german.

Not really. If the Allies hadn't invaded on D-day, the French (and the rest of Europe) would have been speaking Russian. Remeber that the last days of the war in Europe weren't a drive to beat the Germans, but an absolute scramble and race to meet and stop the Russians.

Heck, the Germans were falling over themselves to run into allied hands to surrender because they didn't want to be caught on the Russian side. One of the stories from Canadian troops on the front-line was that they ran into a number of German units with orders to surrender if you encounter the Allies, fight to the death if you encounter the Russians.

Had D-day not happened, imagine a Comunist Europe and Asia and the USSR possesing the A-bomb AND ballistic missiles (the German long range, two-stage rockets) long before the Americans. The world would have been a much different place.

Actually, I've read a number of articles decrying the west's hyping of D-day and non-exposure of the eastern front. But, three things were paramount in Hitler's mind and one was shared between Hitler and the Allies. Hitler's: Lebensraum and the destruction of 'inferior' races. The shared objective/desire: the destruction of communism.

Have to say we should be thankful that Hitler broke the non-agression pact he had signed with Stalin.

Jonneh
06-08-2004, 11:56 AM
If it werent for us, the french would be speaking german. (now they wont support us at all) :rolleyes:

Go see "Saving Private Ryan" today, go rent it. Then imagine that one of those guys were you.If it wen't for the french, you'd all be speaking english... uhh.. properly.

Hasty8
06-08-2004, 12:51 PM
yeah the invasion of russia was a huge part of the war. Its one of hitlers worst mistakes and it was also the turning point in the war. You have to understand though that this is America and we are probably going to celebrate what our troops did a little more than what another country's troops did ;)

Not quite true. My fathers generation (the one born after the War) were never taught about the great influence that Russia had on the outcome of the War. Do you honestly believe that during the time of the "Red Scare" and the Cold War that we were going to give any credit to the "Commies"?

Still, they fough off 3/4 of the German army. Had America not been fighting it's own two front war (Europe and the Pacific) I doubt Russia would have been so vital to our success.

And even though the day is given to the invasion of the beachheads let's not fogive the men and women who lost their lives in the Pacific theater. We lost more warriors in the Pacific then we did in Europe.

OORAH! :shooting:
Semper fi! :cheers:

Deep Sixx
06-08-2004, 01:05 PM
If it wen't for the french, you'd all be speaking english... uhh.. properly.

I was waiting for someone to point that out. I'd say y'all are pretty even. If it weren't for the French there would have been no USA in the first place.

sixx

Buff
06-08-2004, 01:25 PM
I was waiting for someone to point that out. I'd say y'all are pretty even. If it weren't for the French there would have been no USA in the first place.

er...WRONG
The french didn't commit until they were sure we would beat the british, or atleast had a very good chance. They didn't want to help us then then have the British beat us, 'cause then the Brits would have exacted retribution......so they waited until we were gonna win. Give honor where honor is due, General Washington and our founding fore fathers are why we have the USA.

FactsOfLife
06-08-2004, 01:25 PM

sixx

Please spare us that BS. The french showed up AFTER the party was just about over.

Anyone that says otherwise is full of crap and has an agenda.

OysterBoy
06-08-2004, 04:37 PM
poland has been in a no win situation since the 1800's. its amazing how many times different countries have tried to wipe poland off the face of the earth, but we're still here :headbang:

another major turning point, or more of a helping point in the war was when poland decifered the german enigma code, and then shared with the allies so they can finally break german encoded transmitions. maybe we should celebrate poland :hail:

oh well, i guess we should honor d-day, everyone who fought on it, all countries, and you guys should stop arguing about it.

Amen dude, Poland was one of the earlier 'countries' in europe, but now its like we're a state, or a large town... :D

Where do you hail from? Been the longest since I've spoken the language, I can say some polite things, thats about it. I'm from 'Warsaw' (Warszaw, correct?)

devildog
06-08-2004, 08:39 PM
i was born in the great city of Gdansk. big amber mining city right on the baltic sea. yeah, poland was the worlds most powerful nation during the 16th and 17th centuries. the polish white eagle is still the oldest national emblem of any country in the world. i love the country so much, poland doesnt recieve the respect it deserves, germans spread to much propaganda during ww2, gave us a bad rep.

OysterBoy
06-08-2004, 09:24 PM
i was born in the great city of Gdansk. big amber mining city right on the baltic sea. yeah, poland was the worlds most powerful nation during the 16th and 17th centuries. the polish white eagle is still the oldest national emblem of any country in the world. i love the country so much, poland doesnt recieve the respect it deserves, germans spread to much propaganda during ww2, gave us a bad rep.

Good to hear from another person loyal to our great country :). I was way too young to remember much , we left when I was maybe 2 or 3, but I do remember feeling alot better then I do now, even in Canada.. its like entering a layer of 'not as goodness'... ;)

1stdeadeye
06-08-2004, 09:55 PM
Good to hear from another person loyal to our great country :). I was way too young to remember much , we left when I was maybe 2 or 3, but I do remember feeling alot better then I do now, even in Canada.. its like entering a layer of 'not as goodness'... ;)

Glad to see your loyal to your new country. :tard:

God bless all of the Aliies who fought and died on the beaches of Normandy. :hail:

OysterBoy
06-08-2004, 10:00 PM
LOL, not as if I don't like Canada, I love it here, but it always seems like somethings missing. Ah, what do I know, i'm spoiled as far as living conditions.