PDA

View Full Version : How may I obtain a white body rail?

rx2
06-06-2004, 12:47 PM
Essentially, I am looking to alter the color scheme of my Mag in such a way that the body rail (and possibly barrell) would be white, or ivory in color, with a semi-gloss or glossy finish, and decent durability. Right now I am trying to determine what the best route as far as cost/benefit would be.

Now, white is something I have never seen on a body rail. So, I really haven't any other examples to go by. However, I think that it should not be to infeasible to obtain. So, what I need to know are some suggestions on what process might be best to obtain this result.

The first thing that comes to mind might be a powdercoating of some sort. My only concern with this is that I have seen a drastic decline in the number of people using powdercoating, in a number of applications. I understand that it can be a bit costly, and if done improperly, can be prone to the same problems that a mediocre paint-job is. However, I have seen some powdercoating done with what seems to be a rather reliable finish, resistant to chipping.

On the other hand, I suppose that I could use some sort of automotive finish, or a high quality enamel, and spray it on. My concerns with this, however, are lastability, and quality of finish. However, with proper metal prep, I have also seen these finishes to be rather durable, plus, I really don't mishandle my gear, so I don't need super-hard surfaces.

With either finish, I would be a little concerned about stains, over time, if applicable. Although, done correctly, I know anything can be quite stain resistant.

Other? I don't know, that is another area where I am looking for information. If there are any other processes that might allow me to obtain the desired results, I would like to know.

Any, if you have any suggestions, or pertinent information, please let me know. I would like to try such a color scheme out, as I find the nickel/ivory combination to be quite good looking on some of the handguns I own. If you have any further questions, please ask.

Thanks.

50 cal
06-06-2004, 02:32 PM
If you can find anyone to anno white, it would be a real find. Saw an Angel that was powdercoated white here on AO once. It was pretty nice.

behemoth
06-06-2004, 02:36 PM
idk if you can anno white.. but powder coat. yes.

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
06-06-2004, 02:40 PM
you can't anodizing anything white, but silver or a very light greyish color works

oldsoldier
06-06-2004, 02:52 PM
Just watch the parts tolerances. People in the past have anno'ed, or otherwise colored parts...and they no longer fit correctly. You may have to sand down the coating, whatever you choose, where the parts mate.

rx2
06-06-2004, 06:11 PM
No one that I have spoken with knows of any type of white anno, unfortunately. If I could find it, though, it would be something. As far as tolerances, I am not worried. It is only the exposed surfaces of the body rail. Right now I have it polished, but, I think that it would provide an interesting contrast to have it white or ivory, with ivory grips, and possible the same with the barrel. An alternating scheme, of sorts. I know that my S&W model 29 in particular looks nice with white grips and a polished finish, so I thought that I would try to do something similar.

Thanks again.

personman
06-06-2004, 06:15 PM
You cant anno white, because white is the absence of color.. You cant dye something white.. thats why there is no such thing as white dye for clothing, there is only bleach, which isnt dye.
Powdercoating is your best best. If you get it done I would ask them to tape off where the rail meets the body and where the rail meets the grip frame because it will set off the tolerences.

funkmunky56
06-06-2004, 06:21 PM
or you could just go to http://www.kpcustoms.com , and have Ken do ya up right. I mean, jeez, is it that hard of a concept? Check out his Gallery in the forums there, and see pics of Albinonewt's all-white ULE Emag! It's totally frickin sweet, and Ken knows where to and NOT to powdercoat stuff. my Emag is a work of art. Peace. --Funk

Tunaman
06-06-2004, 06:47 PM
I too can vouch for Ken at K+P Customs. He does really nice work. Send it there.

Skoad
06-06-2004, 06:51 PM
You can't anno white (as far as I know) but there is a guy over on pbnation who does "engraving" as he calls it....which i think bleaches the anno white. Just email or pm him, I bet he can do an entire body rail just white.

heres the post: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=528388&highlight=%2Bpimp+%2Bengraving

rx2
06-06-2004, 07:18 PM
I realize that you can't truely anno white, but, I have seen processes that allow all sorts of colorations through different tricks, other than merely staining the metal.

As far as K+P, I just visited the site, and it seems like a logical choice. If I am reading correctly, powder is only thirty bucks for six parts, plus nominal fees for anything extra. It looks that he may not be able to do it until August, though.