PDA

View Full Version : interesting emag leak

Crap_Boy_Smith
06-07-2004, 10:19 AM
Ok I was playing in a tourney yesterday and whenever I chronied the gun (in mech mode) the gun would start leaking down the barrel and went away when I pulled and held in the trigger (sounds like lvl 10 prob..)

However, when I shot in emode, the leak goes away and doesnt come back unless I shoot in mechanical mode again (at the chronie)

Where this was an interesting leak and didnt affect performance in game, I didnt want to figgle with anything. Is this just a standard lvl 10 adjustment, or should I think on more exotic problems where the leak goes away (the field let me chronie in emode after a while and I didnt leak at all for the last 3 hrs of the tournament)

Any thoughts?

athomas
06-07-2004, 10:53 AM
Try removing a shim from your level 10.

It has to do when your sear resets after a shot. In electronic mode the sear moves its full distance very quickly. There is no outside resistance to slow down the on/off pin from fully resetting the sear to catch the bolt. In mechanical mode, your finger cannot come off the trigger fast enough to totally remove all resistance. Plus, the trigger itself is additional mass for the on/off pin to move. The result is that the sear catches the bolt as the chamber recharges. The sear doesn't catch the bolt quite as far up the bolt edge. This isn't a big problem but when the sear gets a little worn, the bolt can sit farther forward allowing the vent hole to be exposed past the carrier o-ring.

So, removing a shim will put the carrier o-ring farther forward of the vent hole and prevent the leak. Eventually you will notice that your emag is a little more trigger sensitive (easier to bounce) in mechanical mode as well. At that time you should probably change your sear.

Crap_Boy_Smith
06-08-2004, 06:36 AM
I dont like the idea that my seer is wearing down... thats like a 55 dollar part...

Any other ideas? I havent tried taking out a shim yet (I'm not in the same city as my gun now) but I plan to try and fix it this weekend.

How can I tell if my seer is worn just by looking at it? is there any way to fix this without buying a new seer?

Thanks for any help in advance

RRfireblade
06-08-2004, 06:55 AM
Sears not wearing down,don't worry. They are hardend steel,the SS bolt wears at a far geater rate than the sear and do to the design of the catch point,it 'could wear substantially and still catch reliably but it simply doesn't show wear like that in less than maybe a million cycles. :D I've can count on........2 fingers.....the number of sears I've changed over the years."Worn" sear is a far over used expression. :)

It's either a shim or o-ring prob.You may be just on the verge of a leak that's only noticable during mechanical fire. Start w/ L10 tuning and go from there.

Crap_Boy_Smith
06-08-2004, 07:19 AM
That sounds better :)

should I just try to remove a shim first before reducing a carrier size?

athomas
06-08-2004, 09:52 AM
The sears do wear where they catch the bolt. The worn area allows the bolt to sit farther forward so that the vent hole is ahead of the carrier o-ring. They don't really affect the operation of the gun and can be compensated for by removing a shim or two. The more wear you get, the faster it will progress and eventually the tip will get rounded affecting operation. The gun will still function but one of the tell tale signs or sear wear is an increase in the ability to sweetspot the trigger in manual mode.

If you look at the sear tip you can see where it makes contact with the bolt. It should have a square edge at the tip and have a straight flat surface from the tip to the bottom inside corner.