PDA

View Full Version : Importing/Exporting Cars as a Career?

mjs1217
06-08-2004, 05:43 PM
Hey all,
I don't really post much anymore, just read what other people say, but I think this is an exception.
Does anyone here know anything about importing/exporting cars? I think that I might want to get into this as a career when I get older, for instance:
I would go to Australia, where they sell cars not sold in America, and buy such a car. Then, I would ship it back to America where I would sell it, and hopefully make more than the shipping bill was.

So far, I've thought about the fact that right-hand drive is illegal in America, and the emissions standards, so I was thinking that maybe I'd sell the car without a title?

Anyway, please lemme know some more info if you know anything about this business. Or, IM me on AIM, my sn is mjs1214.

Thanks,
-mjs

ShooterJM
06-08-2004, 06:01 PM
Safety requirements might pose an issue as well, bumpers etc.

To import cars to the US I think they have to be insured and registered in the originating country. Also you'll probably be hit with a heck of a customs duty. Not too mention that you'd probably be looking at a private enclosed container. Figure BARE minimum of $2-3K per car just for that. I know it cost almost $1800 to take a friends corvette in an enclosed trailer from colorado to la.

Restola
06-08-2004, 07:12 PM
My roommate's friend imports ricers from japan. But the cars are not street legal out of the crate. Not sure why though. I'll see if I can get more info.

Rooster
06-08-2004, 07:40 PM
There is no money in normal cars. You need to be in a speciallty market.

CaptaiN_JacK
06-08-2004, 07:59 PM
cars you cant get in the us are special in my book, considering you cant get them here. hes probably talking about the nicer cars too, not just normal >$25,000 cars.

i bet a ton of ricers would pay top dollar for a skyline or some other ricer...those ricers go crazy with their money its insane.

pputkowski
06-08-2004, 08:05 PM
I've got friends in the buisness and they import high demand cars from japan. Mostly skylines, lancers, and fairlady z's. I think I remember them saying it was close to 5k for emmisions, bumper strengthening, title transfer, and stuff like that. Most of the trouble is emmisions.

You can check out there web-site...it's www.j-garage.com.

Basically, you have to have a fairly large demand for the cars you are importing, otherwise you won't make jack.

deathstalker
06-08-2004, 08:41 PM
I know that a number of cars aren't brought to the States because they can't meet Federal safety standards. Trust me, I would love to have an Audi RS4 Avant, but Audi said that bringing the car up to US specs would have changed the car so much it would no longer be what they intended.

No matter the reason, you need to have some serious cash to do this as a career.

Jack_Dubious
06-08-2004, 11:50 PM
To increase your profit margin, dont forget to hide a few kilos of southeast asian heroin in the gas tank.

JDub

TylerDurden
06-09-2004, 12:03 AM
Right hand drive cars are not illegal.

vf-xx
06-09-2004, 12:20 AM
Right hand drive cars are not illegal.

True. Otherwise you wouldn't be allowed to drive decommissioned Mail trucks.

PyRo
06-09-2004, 12:22 AM
Your going to have to pay shipping fees, import (custome) tax to the U.S. and probably an export tax to Japan. Then it may cost you to get the car to meet U.S. specs, and get all the proper stuff done with that. Then your going to have to pay tax on the money you get for the car (income) unless you actually start a buisness then there is a whole nother world of taxes, the exporting country will also probably charge some kind of sales tax. Then you need to find a market for right hand drive cars.

Fanatic
06-09-2004, 12:31 AM
cars you cant get in the us are special in my book, considering you cant get them here. hes probably talking about the nicer cars too, not just normal >$25,000 cars.

i bet a ton of ricers would pay top dollar for a skyline or some other ricer...those ricers go crazy with their money its insane.

ricer here....i got 78k for a 1998 skyline GTR V-spec cash....
you get it...ill pay it :D

Hasty8
06-10-2004, 12:56 PM
My roommate's friend imports ricers from japan. But the cars are not street legal out of the crate. Not sure why though. I'll see if I can get more info.
Traditionally, these ricers, such as the Nissan Skyline are illegal due to exhaust systems. Making them legal so as to conform to US standards would greatly diminish their appeal. Doing it ilegally could land you in jail.

Also, this type of niche market is VERY hard to get into. There is zero schooling for tis and is soelly based on who you know. If you really wanted to get into this type of here is what I would suggest.

Get started in the tradiotnal car sales industry. This really does not require any schooling but it's best to do it while attending school for either a marketing degree or other BSBA directed to dealing with people. Try and get into the high-end market asap. Chevy and Ford won't build you the contact that you will need. Try Porsche, Lambo, Ferrarri and the like. Alternatively you can try and work for some of the custom/niche comapnies such as those advertised in Robb Report but again, they will only take you if you have several years experience with the more traditional high-end cars as those listed above. Only after you have an extensive portfolio of contacts can you even begin to enter this market.

My uncle own a Lexus dealership and only now at 54 is he able to start breaking into the import industry.

It's totally about contacts.