PDA

View Full Version : Did you watch the procession of President Reagan?

FactsOfLife
06-09-2004, 07:01 PM
IF you answered yes, what did you think?

FalconGuy016
06-09-2004, 07:10 PM
No, because I was in school for one reason or another throughout the entire time

cphilip
06-09-2004, 07:11 PM
I am still watching it.

So far its a beautiful and moving ceremony. Very sad but still somehow pride enducing.

FooTemps
06-09-2004, 07:28 PM
I watched like 10 minutes of it... It's a thing of beauty... but also a thing of boredom... While I did think it was a good ceremony, I got bored at the same time since I have no connection to the presidents of past generations...

Chipper
06-09-2004, 07:37 PM
The TV stations sucked here. They talked at the wrong time, gave different facts then other stations. For example, 1 station said that the guards switched every 30 min. Ok, MSNBC said 5 hours. WTSN? :wow:

FactsOfLife
06-09-2004, 07:39 PM
French what ever he is, Jaques Chirac has refused to attend the funeral of President Ronald Reagan.

bastard. :cuss:

rpm07
06-09-2004, 07:51 PM
I think it was a moving ceremony.

penguinpunk555
06-09-2004, 08:04 PM
Yea.

Load SM5
06-09-2004, 08:06 PM
So far it's awesome. I'm struck by the amount of people who travelled so far to stand in line for 15 hours just to walk by his casket. Amazing. My father and older brother are flying up there to say goodbye, as well. I wish I could get away myself.

Somewhat related. What is the origin of the riderless horse with the empty boots facing backwards? I know it's some sort of honor for horse riders but past that.....

Jack_Dubious
06-09-2004, 08:54 PM
Yeah I watched it. I also found it very moving and sad. If i was more comfortable with my emotions, i might even admit I was choked up a few times.

He was a great president who will be missed.

my only regret is not being able to get out of work to view him, while he was still here in cali.

JDub

Ov3rmind
06-10-2004, 12:55 AM
I watched most of it. It was pretty much how I expected it to be, a very somber occasion.

1stdeadeye
06-10-2004, 05:34 AM
Nicely done. I really liked Senator Stevens speech. The military honor guard was a reall nice touch as well.

BTW, Nancy Reagan looked really frail and old. Very suprising the way she has changed. :(

RT pRo AuToMaG
06-10-2004, 06:13 AM
Somewhat related. What is the origin of the riderless horse with the empty boots facing backwards? I know it's some sort of honor for horse riders but past that.....

It's to represent a leader watching his army before battle or something to that effect.

FactsOfLife
06-10-2004, 07:09 AM
So far it's awesome. I'm struck by the amount of people who travelled so far to stand in line for 15 hours just to walk by his casket. Amazing. My father and older brother are flying up there to say goodbye, as well. I wish I could get away myself.

The riderless horse goes all the way back to Ghengis Khan.

The boots facing backwards in the stirrups is symbolic of a warrior that will ride no more, facing back to review his troops for a final time.

PissedGodzilla
06-10-2004, 07:22 AM
Unfortunately I was out of the house, but i would have watched...

FactsOfLife
06-10-2004, 12:28 PM
Unfortuantely this is not true. The practice of the "riderless horse" is totally Roman in origin. Ghengis might have adopted it as his area of influence became large. As his territores grew he tried to make it into an empire and actually copied quite a bit from the only other successful empire of the time, Rome.

The boots facing rearward is a more modern addition as is the caisson being pulled by 6 horse with only three riders. This is to remember that althoug field artillery was pulled by six horses three were used to carry supplies and so had no riders.

P.S. I did not watch the procession because of personal reasons which I'll not delve into here. Of the parts I did watch they were typical Presidential funerals. Very somber and respectful.

Ghengis had more real estate than Century 21...

And he most vertainly did use the riderless horse to show respect to his fallen warriors.

Yes, the boots are a modern addition, and they signify exactly what I ascribed to them.

taylor492
06-10-2004, 12:48 PM
... I did not watch the procession because of personal reasons which I'll not delve into here...

Ok :confused:

Python14
06-10-2004, 01:11 PM
Yea, I watched most of it. Today at graduation, the principal asked that we have a moment of silence in rememberance of President Reagan. I thought it was really good.

taylor492
06-10-2004, 01:28 PM
no need to turn this into a political debate.

Theres no debate i just thought it was weird that you would add that comment to your post."...for personal reasons which i will not divulge here" :confused:

could've just said "didn't catch it "

Back to the subject

I watched it and thought i was nice to see how many people were really saddened by his passing. I always liked Reagan, plus i like jelly beans :)

edit: crap i always forget to uncheck the "show signature box"

logamus
06-10-2004, 04:07 PM
i watched the whole thing. it was very moving and at the end when mrs. reagan leaned over the casket, i did get very choked up. it was a very powerful and very beautiful event, one that i am glad i watched.

Army
06-10-2004, 04:10 PM
All military personel will recieve a 21 over his/her grave, and for the last 100 years, so do our fallen police officers.

It is the LIVING that get a proscribed number of shots.

I am still wringing out my shirt, from all the tears shed for the great man. Ronald Reagan was the embodiment of how a US President should conduct himself while in office. In my opinion, the greatest president the US has had to date.

jwren00
06-11-2004, 01:15 AM
I loved it. I can honestly say that Mr. Reagan is my hero. I hope America gets another president like him in my lifetime. I thought the missing man formation was really cool, however it could have been better if the f-15's weren't so high. Why were they at such a high altitude? I've seen several fly-bys over the years, and they've all occured way lower. Is there another law in DC that kept those planes that high?

1stdeadeye
06-11-2004, 10:37 AM
As for him being the "greatest president ever" I guess that depends on your POV. I doubt the poor or the 60,000 who died of AIDS under his watch would agree. I certainly do not.

DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A POLITICAL THREAD!!!

The poor under any administration will not be thrilled by those in power! The millions who were liberated around the world as a direct result of his policies and leadership would probably disagree with you. :tard:

I guess it is easier for those that got aids to blame Reagan instead of their own careless and reckless behavior(for the most part, Drug addicts, Unprotected sex, etc.... not those that recieved it from transfusions). Not my fault that I shot up with a needle that I got a new desease that nobody really knew much about. So it must be Reagan's fault! :rolleyes:

cphilip
06-11-2004, 10:48 AM
What is fired over the graves of the dead is not the "21 salute" but actually a referrance to an old custom of battles past. This practice originated in the old custom of halting the fighting to remove the dead from the battlefield. Once each army had cleared its dead, it would fire three volleys to indicate that the dead had been cared for and that they were ready to go back to the fight. The fact that the current firing party consists of seven riflemen, firing three volleys does not constitute a 21-gun salute.

I don't know about that.... And it is indeed recognised and a 21 gun salute. For whatever reason.

read this: http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/faq/salute.htm

1stdeadeye
06-11-2004, 10:49 AM
First, it's not your thread.

Second, I didn't turn it into a political thread.

Third, who did RR "liberate"? And I swear to god, if I hear one other person say that the USSR collapsed because of him I'll puke!

With that said I'll say this. He was a welcome chnge over Carter (then again, a dead fish would have been too). He did do some good and his passing was very tragic though it did finally release him from a rather debilitating disease. His funeral was very tastefully done and touching.

1) It's Facts and I know him pretty well. He'll probably chime in late and dub you a tool or something to that effect.

2) You posted here that personal reasons kept you from watching and then delved into them. Slamming him with your previous post was tasteful :rolleyes: .

3) His policies led to the bankrupting of the evil empire. He outspent them and we survived, they did not. So I guess since we were the fighter left standing we won. With the collapse of the USSR, the entire Warsaw Pact was liberated.

Finally I agree that his death was liberation from a horrid desease and the funeral and pomp and circumstance were quite tastefull.

1stdeadeye
06-11-2004, 11:29 AM
:rolleyes:

Bush just gave a great Eulogy to Reagan. Very presidential, very eloquent.

FactsOfLife
06-11-2004, 11:54 AM
Hasty if you can't leave the politics out of this of ALL threads please refrain from posting at all.

Don't be a tool.

1stdeadeye
06-11-2004, 12:23 PM
As for him being the "greatest president ever" I guess that depends on your POV. I doubt the poor or the 60,000 who died of AIDS under his watch would agree. I certainly do not.

This is what you said.

People are Eulogizing and lamenting him now. Why do you feel the need to correct their feelings?

FactsOfLife
06-11-2004, 12:28 PM
First, I'm not a "tool".

Second, I never made it political.

Ronald Reagan was the embodiment of how a US President should conduct himself while in office. In my opinion, the greatest president the US has had to date.

Did I say that or was it someone else? I had earlier said that I was going to leave politics out of it and I have offered, to those who wish to debate his greatness, to make a thread specifically for that.

Is beating a dead horse a hobby for you or what?

Do we have a reading comp problem here or something?

If you want to make a thread attempting to revise history during Reagan's Presidency, please do so elsewhere.

This thread is NOT political.

jwren00
06-11-2004, 12:41 PM
Hasty, get a clue. This thread isn't about your political agenda. Don't post in here again.

1stdeadeye
06-11-2004, 01:08 PM
Abd you became god, or even a mod, exactly when?

Look who is talking. When you mourn and lament someone you try not to bring up the bad like you did.

FactsOfLife
06-11-2004, 01:35 PM
Apparently you have some form of internet tourrets and simply can't help yourself.

I've asked twice now for you to not post your nonsense in this thread.

And you have ignored each request and instead have decided to troll.

Remove your inflammatory posts. They are neither warranted nor are they appreciated.

You can do this willingly and earn some respect, or I can bother one of the mods with it.

RoadDawg
06-11-2004, 04:20 PM
I missed it. Sounded like a good service.

Load SM5
06-11-2004, 04:26 PM
They have the service broken up into smaller chunks online here. http://wpix.feedroom.com/iframeset.jsp?ord=65278

That's where I watched it at work.

Gijim
06-12-2004, 06:20 AM
My wife and kids all watched the funeral, it was very moving and brought us to tears when Nancy broke down and cried at the casket. He truly was a President that cared about America and the people that lived in it. He had 3 main goals before he became president; 1. Bring us out of economic depression 2. Restore our pride in America 3. Bring down Communism.
When he said these things, most politicians and "smart" people thought he was crazy and totally underestimated him and called him simple minded. Now we look back and see that not only did he accomplish all three things but those that criticized him are now the ones that are simple minded. God Bless the Reagans and the Country he loved!!