PDA

View Full Version : Why I'm Going To Play Airball

brianlojeck
06-11-2004, 06:17 PM
This isn't meant to start a flamewar (I figure Tyger's thread(s) are taking care of that pretty well :) This is just one man's sad short-bus story..

I have been playing, on and off, for over 12 years (although with LONG periods of "off"). My first game was at The Wolf's Lair in PA, and we played in Sears shop goggles with unchrono'd pump rentals. I have always played Recball, and dislike the idea of a tournament. I think Tyger and I would get along swimmingly in this regard.

But I'm tired of it. If I can convince the peeps I go with, we are going to play at least a few 3v3 games at the airball field instead of going to the recball area, at least til the paint consumption becomes too much.

Here's why.

1: Paintball is better when played with people you know. No cheating, no stupidity, less fights, etc... To acheive this in Recball you need 20-30 people, with 2 weeks prepayment. To acheive this in Airball you need 6 guys. ("Hey Ref! We want to play some 3on3."/"OK, you guys are next on field 3 after those red and black dudes finish wiping the floor with their opponents")

2: the freakin' Oompa-Loompa 10 year olds. Just the last time I played:

an OL blind-fired at me, cursed at me when i gogged him, and then wiped when he saw I was on his team
I ran (at over 300lbs) 55% across a recball field, looked back and found the OL's who I was "leading" had stopped at the FIRST BUNKER
I convinced them to follow me next game, and they all stacked up behind me, using my fat *** as a bunker, not one of them moving, talking, looking, or shooting til I got gogged, then they surrendered

3: campers. nothing pisses me off more then working my way down a field only to be shot by a guy who's idea of playing is sitting in exactly the same spot every game, without moving, EVER, silent, and taking out the first guy he sees. Then, walking off the field, you find he's got 15 like-minded friends behind him.

3.5: and each and every one of them shoots you as well, even though you are singing the "dead player! let'em out!" song at the top of your very loud lungs, barrel plug in, and gun up in the air.

4: more campers. When I'm one of the first guys to the deadzone, 8 minutes into a 20 minute game, and nobody else shows up til the whistle blows at 20 minutes, and everyone on both teams marches out telling BS stories about how "I got that guy! He must have wiped!"

5: wipers, and people who just pretend you didn't hit them.

6: from 5 feet away

7: twice

8: and stick their elbow back out AGAIN

9: and it's dripping with paint

10: but you shoot it again

11: and you think "Hell, if a ref has to pull them, maybe I'll just play tournament ball anyway, and at least that kind of behavior is expected"

It really bothers me. I love recball, but it's just not "rec" anymore. Guess I'll have to try airball.

:dance: :dance:

Digits
06-11-2004, 06:28 PM
exactly by recball sucks.. How can anyone get thrills out of running up some field to find campers.. Or vice versa camping.. Airball is nice and fast paced, none of that camping bs.. I hope you like it.

AGDlover
06-11-2004, 07:16 PM
ya i've given up on rec ball just too slow paced. i love airball,fat place and you can make em go out if you know you shot em. and whats better is when you get em and there on the other side of the field at the 50 and they never relise it untill you light there asses up :dance:

Head knight of Ni
06-11-2004, 07:29 PM
thats all geographical. and all you have to do is light a wiper up until they get out its more fun that way. :ninja:

1stdeadeye
06-11-2004, 07:39 PM
I don't know about all that. I like going to fields that have a lot of variety. I love On Target. We play rec/scenario in the morning and the Speedball all afternoon.

The Oompa Lumpas are fun to shoot! They wimper! :clap:

Halliday
06-11-2004, 07:41 PM
I like Rec. I don't mind campers. I just play better and go around them/shoot them out.

I don't like the cheating, and that seems to be seeping into Rec from a speedball "Play till a Ref pulls me" attitude.

Playing with your friends is the best, but even when I go to a new field I make new friends :cheers:

Try AirBall. It's fun, but my wallet doesn't always agree with it. :cry:

GT
06-11-2004, 07:49 PM
I absolutly love the Xball format, its awsome!

trains are bad
06-11-2004, 08:34 PM
campers. nothing pisses me off more then working my way down a field only to be shot by a guy who's idea of playing is sitting in exactly the same spot every game, without moving, EVER, silent, and taking out the first guy he sees.

Seems like many of you are mad at campers for being too effective. Is there some rule against it?

penguinpunk555
06-11-2004, 08:53 PM
Why I play speedball

Albinonewt
06-11-2004, 10:32 PM
Oompa loompa?

Here we call em' romper roomers!

Z-man
06-11-2004, 10:49 PM
3: campers. nothing pisses me off more then working my way down a field only to be shot by a guy who's idea of playing is sitting in exactly the same spot every game, without moving, EVER, silent, and taking out the first guy he sees. Then, walking off the field, you find he's got 15 like-minded friends behind him.

heh sadly that is EXACTLY what I would do on the rare occasion I play recball. My logic is, why go out and wander around when there are at least 2-3 guys who dug themselves a hole and are waiting for the foolish wandering prey ;)

Recball defiantly takes more ballz (not paint) to play IMO. Speedball is simple. You see everyone, you have bunkers that you KNOW will block the paint and there are NO fox holes.

Recball games work because people like yourself have the guts to go out looking for each other and making the game fun. People like me just hide because we are too wussy to go out. The terrible possibility of getting long balled and taken out of the game without firing a shot is too great a humiliation to risk!

As for the 12 year old's who attach themselves to you, you must think of it in terms of an asset. You being the mighty and all powerful paintball god can command them and acquire some valuable canno fodder. Best case you can tell them to move to such n' such a place. You can see when or where they get shot and thus determine where the opposing team is ;)

Worst case you do a little scooting and sort of casually push them out of the bunker "accidentally"

Yes yes I know that is not really teaching people how to play but there is a time and a place for everything my friends.

brianlojeck
06-11-2004, 10:49 PM
Seems like many of you are mad at campers for being too effective. Is there some rule against it?

No, there isn't anything against it. I can be all :dance: and they can be all :ninja: and then they :shooting: and I'm like :cuss: and his friend are all :rofl: .

The thing that really bugs me about campers is that they don't help you at all when they are on your side. if a game ends with only two people out, they were the only ones moving. Everyone else was acting like a bunch of cowards.

Blazestorm
06-11-2004, 11:24 PM
Rec-ball around here is airball, and tens to be aggressive enough.

I think I am going to play tournaments, but I want to be the most honest and modest players on the field, when I get shot, even if it was a half-hit I'll walk out, if I can't tell I'll yell for a ref, I won't pretend it isn't there, I hope the people I play with feel the same. I don't care if I get shot out on the break every game, at the end of the day, I'll still be happy. Because I just got to spend the entire day playing paintball, no-matter if I shot anyone or not, I was still playing. We are all fortunate enough to be able to play this great sport, and we should cherish it, instead of fight amongst ourselves because we feel we need to be superior to one another. Enjoy the sport, because one day, it could all disappear.

And to conclude this pointless essay-like paragraph above...

:dance:

brianlojeck
06-11-2004, 11:45 PM
>Recball defiantly takes more ballz (not paint) to play IMO.

Thank you for saying that.

>The terrible possibility of getting long balled and taken out of the game without firing a >shot is too great a humiliation to risk!

What's so bad about it? I get shot in just about every game I play, my kill/death ratio is at least 1:2, but god d*** it, I'm out there playing like the game should be played, not hiding in a pit. I figure if my snapshooting was halfway decent I'd be a real terror, so I'm working on that, but I'm not going to sit staring at the next bunker for the entire game, it's DULL.

>being the mighty and all powerful paintball god can command them and acquire some >valuable canno fodder.

Your good with kids. I can't even make them "SHOOT THAT BUNKER!!!" "no." "THAT GUY! SHOOT AT HIM!" "no."

grr....

>Worst case you do a little scooting and sort of casually push them out of the >bunker "accidentally"

not in california friend. Lawyers outnumber roaches. ;-)

>Yes yes I know that is not really teaching people how to play but there is a time and a
>place for everything my friends.

I used to try to be an embassador, now I just want to find a decent game...

Z-man
06-11-2004, 11:54 PM
You, my friend need to come out to our NorCal game in Santa Clara paintball. I think that you won't find a tighter knit group and a better bunch of guys to play with.

brianlojeck
06-11-2004, 11:58 PM
You, my friend need to come out to our NorCal game in Santa Clara paintball. I think that you won't find a tighter knit group and a better bunch of guys to play with.

I do most of my playing after work, from 5 til 10 or 11. Think I can make it there and back in time? ;-) :cry: