PDA

View Full Version : new member, yadda yadda yadda

tranzformer
06-11-2004, 11:59 PM
i know you probably heard this a million times before, but please be patient with me. i heard you guys are very helpful. I have been looking at getting a spyder, but i cant really decide between the imagine, Xtra, Pilot, rodeo and shutter models. Could someone just give me a breakdown of the adventages of the electronic controlled guns vs. the non. I know they can shoot out more bps, like 13 or so. but how effective and useful is this in a real game?? i just need some help guys, so anything would be appreciated. im looking at spending around 250 for the gun, mask and tank. I have seen some deals with everything together that I might consider, like this

http://www.thesportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1376609&cp=712507.710318&clickid=body_bestsellgcat_txt&parentPage=family

Skoad
06-12-2004, 12:14 AM
First off the sports authority is one of the worst places to buy things from. Look at www.pbgear.com Probably the best prices on the net.

Next, I'll leave the mechanical vs. electronic debate for someone else.

If your dead set on the spyder, as far as electro ones go, they are mostly the same. E99 and Imagine are what I have seen. PBgear has nice packages you can add to the gun that include a tank, mask, hopper, and other good stuff.

heres probably my recommendation-

1) Spyder E99 - http://www.actvil.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=RNp7Z_sqFN-I3rvgyOdJYe-GCMvIDHYN_7o=?ProductSKU=010-4153

2) 20 oz CO2 tank - http://www.actvil.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=RNp7Z_sqFN-I3rvgyOdJYe-GCMvIDHYN_7o=?ProductSKU=030-0200

3) 12 volt hopper - http://www.actvil.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=RNp7Z_sqFN-I3rvgyOdJYe-GCMvIDHYN_7o=?ProductSKU=014-9060-2

4) JT Spectra Thermal Goggles - http://www.actvil.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=RNp7Z_sqFN-I3rvgyOdJYe-GCMvIDHYN_7o=?ProductSKU=020-4811

Total: $249.88

You also get FREE shipping for ordering over 100 dollars.

--------------------------------------------

Another thing you could do is get their add on package. Just go to http://www.actvil.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=RNp7Z_sqFN-I3rvgyOdJYe-GCMvIDHYN_7o=?ProductSKU=010-4153 and add package C.

You won't get the motorized hopper (which allows you to feed paintballs faster, which in turn lets you shoot faster without breaking paintballs inside your gun) but you will still get a thermal mask + some other goodies like the squeegies, barrel condom, and even a harness! Costs the same as the sports authority one, but the harness is nice to have, the mask looks a lot nicer, you get another squeegie, barrel condoms > barrel plugs, and with the E99 you don't have to mess with the vertical feed elbow.

RRfireblade
06-12-2004, 12:22 AM
Welcome.

All you really need to know about current production Spyders is that generally speaking,they all perform the same and function the same and are typically well suited for new players.Also know that there are numorus 'clones; of the Spyder design that funtion and perform similarly so don't be afraid to look around.PMI 'Piranhas' are an excellent alternative as well as 'Draguns' to name a few.The latter of which I would reccommend over the Spyder.

Electronics frames offer higher ROF and easier and more stable shooting and in some cases various modes of fire (automatic etc)at the cost of some complexity,the added cost of batteries and the potential for being more likely to be stuck on the field with a minor yet unrepairable break down.Only you can deciede if that's worth it for you.For the most part E-Frames are pretty reliable but on a nearly foolproof design like the Spyder and it's counterparts,they do increase that potential for failure.

Beyond that,go with the Marker that suits your fancy and budget. Most packages will be comparable in offerings (masks,tanks,parts kit) go for hte one that offers you the most product for less.

Good luck and enjoy the game!!

Blazestorm
06-12-2004, 12:24 AM
I'd recommend a tippmann over a spyder... you can treat tippmanns like **** and they still run well...

If you're going to get a spyder, get a piranha, PMI is much higher quality (IMO) then Kingman

tranzformer
06-12-2004, 12:24 AM
the only reason that i said sports authority is that fact that i work there so i would get a 25% discount which would help me out alot. it would bring the price well under 200 for me. or would u say the quality of the extras that i got a pbgear would make up for it??? thanx for the great feedback guys. also would an electronic gun like the spyder be allowed at most fields, even if it has the auto mode???

tranzformer
06-12-2004, 12:41 AM
anybody else with any recommendations?? i mean is an electronic marker really worth it if fields require you do leave it in semi auto mode?? when else would u use the burst or the auto mode, it seems kind of a waste right??

SCpoloRicker
06-12-2004, 01:54 PM
If you can get it cheaper, go for it. Our concern was online retailers often treat customers poorly.

I'd also recomend buying a PMI Piranha over the Spyder. While basically the same, PMI is higher quality. Tippmans are in fact indestructable, I have one from 96 in the garage right now thats being used tomorrow.

Welcome to AO. If somebody named "AGD" welcomes you, you now know why we buy mags.... :dance:

Also, e frames will allow you to raise your ROF much higher than a mech frame. Think of clicking a mouse. That's what a lot of people describe e triggers. I shoot a cocker though :shooting:

Ricker

FalconGuy016
06-12-2004, 02:03 PM
I would get an eframe just for the stability while firing. You dont *have* to shoot fast if you have an eframe. It gives you the ability to do so though

Automaget
06-12-2004, 02:19 PM
first off im going to get flaimed for this but i dont care SPYDERS SUCK! get a tippmann theres no debait just go for the tippmann and it can evolve as you want it to get better, spyders blow becouse they alwas breakdown tippmann will stick with you to the end. :clap:

:shooting: SPYDER

TIPPMANN :dance:

Blazestorm
06-12-2004, 02:44 PM
I feel the same way, when they work well and you put 1000 into them, they're pretty nice, but otherwise... they suck =)

Tippmann's may not shoot as fast but they sure as hell SHOOT when you pull the trigger, and they ALWAYS shoot.

I recommend getting a tippmann over an e-spyder, you're going to have too many problems and not know what to do, tippmann won't give you any problems and you can get a decent barrel for one. The most maintanence (sp) tippmann's need is a few drops of oil in the asa before playing.

rx2
06-12-2004, 03:33 PM
For what it is worth, my friend still has his one Tippman pro-carbine from around 95, which he borrows out, and it still works the same as the day he bought it, even though he NEVER maintained it properly. On the other hand, I have seen a few relatively new spiders go down on the field, although there really isn't anything major that can go wrong with a spyder. But, I must attest to the reliability of Tippmans.

paintballrulzs
06-12-2004, 04:09 PM
I say get a used BKO or something. No matter what you get you will end up wanting to upgrade before you know it. I would say either a used BKO or a TES.

TeamNausea
06-12-2004, 05:22 PM
I would say a piranha or a bushy of some sort. Btw yes tippys can evolve as you need them to but so can anything elses on the market.(within reason)

Thermus
06-12-2004, 05:28 PM
Go with the spyder. I have owned 2 different tippmann 98 Customs and both were just terrible markers. I know hot to take care of a paintball gun, and these were constantly breaking down. Not to mention they have a terrible trigger setup up, take 5 times as long as they should to clean, and are too long. The good upgrades for them, like the ebolt, response trigger, LP chamber, all cost way more than they should, and the resell value is crap. The Spyders shoot fast, aren't quite as loud, and gave me know porblems. I have owned 5 or 6 different spyders, electric and mechanical, all of which never let me down besides an O ring here are there. If you take care of them, they will take care of you. Strap on an IS switch and your speed will compete with the rest of them.

And yes, go for an electric. Get the cheapest one you can find, because they are all the same except for looks. The only one thats a little different is the AMG, the trigger frame is a bit longer making the gun more balanced. But, its not worth the extra you'd pay for it. If you have any questions on the subject, you can PM me. I know spyders and tippmanns, and I would go for a spyder in an instant.

tranzformer
06-12-2004, 05:37 PM
thanx for the great help guys, but it seems there are two sides depending on peoples preferences and past experiences. Im still looking at the tippman A-5 and the spyder, so ill do more research on them before I make up my mind.

Thermus
06-12-2004, 05:42 PM
If you are going to go for a Tippmann, ditch the A5 idea. Its wickedly overpriced. Get a Tippmann 98 custom and nice hopper, like a Halo or an Evolution II, that way when you decide to upgrade guns you can bring the nice hopper with you. With the cyclone system your stuck selling you loader with the gun and you have to get a new one.

SCpoloRicker
06-12-2004, 06:32 PM
--Thread Jack-- :argh:

Thermus, or others, opinions on A-5 in more depth, please. I am picking one up (for father's day, i.e. soonest). He really digs Tipps for the reasons we're all saying. He wants a new one, and he digs the idea behind the cycle feed system :ninja: It's cool because it works within the guns operations. :cool:

Does it affect the (otherwise :shooting: ) reliability? How fast is it? Or just a revvie or AK? (Halo :eek: ?)

Thanks, and if I should have PM'd, let me know :p

Ricker

--P.S. electronic Tippy = :shooting: tank Thread Jack over--

usmc8892
06-12-2004, 09:46 PM
You won't have any problems with a Spyder as long as you thoroughly clean and lube after each and every use. If you get an electro, then you will need a motorized hopper to keep up with the ROF. You will also need to get a new barrel, as the stock barrel leaves much to be desired.
If you get a tippmann, I suggest the A-5 with response trigger. I have one currently, and it shoots fast and accurately (with the stock barrel) and requires no additional hopper/barrel purchases.
I guess it really depends on what style of paintball you plan on playing.

Athius
06-13-2004, 12:29 AM
Umm dude i got a tippmann custom 98 with the low pressure kit and double trigger for sell. PM me if u want it.

Bolter
06-13-2004, 10:19 AM
for a little bit more you could get one of these.....

RT ULE Custom

http://store.airgun.com/images/category/79.jpg

RT-ULE Custom

$340.00

http://store.airgun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=368&categoryID=79

penguinpunk555
06-13-2004, 11:25 AM
WELCOME! You'll love it here. Get a mechanical spyder. IMO

cphilip
06-13-2004, 09:55 PM
Welcome to AO

I like spyders myself. Like the look of them better. But I am shallow and all that.... :)

No seriously I had a few spyders and found them to be fine markers. Easy to work on. But most of them are indeed all the same. The Shutter is basicaly a TL plus with some anno. Get something like that. Better yet a used one cheap. Rebuild it and you will learn all about it and it will shoot fine. Clean it and oil it and learn it.

Enemy
06-14-2004, 01:44 AM
id say go for the tippman but 98s work great and if you e trigger them it is a total electronic as in it uses solenoids to control gas and everything.. also i feel that the 98 is the best low end marker out there and its funny cuz i own 2 spyders and never bought a tippman.. but ive worked at a feild for around 2 years we rent tippmans including the old carbines that still work and piranahs and the tippmans give us less problems and have way better consistency as far as when we set the velocity it doesnt climb like the spyders do.. i had my spyder climb from 270 to 340 one day i started using rentals a couple months later and then bought my classic mag..anyways sorry if i ranted at all.. also the A5s are good but they are made of some new carbon plastic and the side cocking system as broke on many markers at the feild.. oh and one of the 98s were run over as people were leaving one day picked it up and it worked fine.. theres not many markers except mags that can brag about that..