PDA

View Full Version : Hood Scoops?

MrWallen
06-13-2004, 01:34 AM
Ok, so I got a new car about 2 months ago (WRX) and it's got a scoop in the hood, and I was just wondering if I had to be careful about getting too much water in the thing while washing it.
For instance, will it damage my intercooler?
I'm not saying I'm gonna take this thing underwater or anything, I just want to know if it's ok to take the car into a car wash, instead of having to had wash it (like I do now).

RT pRo AuToMaG
06-13-2004, 04:13 AM
You should be fine. I'm sure that when they designed it, they had all of that in mind. If you drive it in the rain, a good amout of water probably gets in there anyway. I'd recommend hand washing b/c its easier on the paint, but you should be good to take it to a carwash.

pputkowski
06-13-2004, 09:30 AM
My buds STi actually has a water screen above the intercooler b/c it is so big.

I wouldn't worry about getting it wet at all though, they designed it to get wet.

ramennoodles
06-13-2004, 10:23 PM
there is a really pimp el camino out my the paintball field. The only problem--he has like this fugly sheet metal scoop that looks like he made himself(prolly did) bolted it on and spraypainted it, such a waste

MrWallen
06-14-2004, 10:11 PM
Yeah, mine may have a water screen, I can't find it mentioned anywhere though, and no one that's looked at it has said anything, nor have the other people I talked to. Anyway, I ran it through a car wash today, no probs yet.

vf-xx
06-14-2004, 10:35 PM
I don't know how this works with intercoolers, but my car actually works better when it's raining / more humid. The water vapor helps cool the cylinders and gives you a better combustion.

On the other hand my car has reached the age where I believe it could be considered classic (if it didn't look like junk)

OfficerGoat
06-15-2004, 01:16 AM
I don't know how this works with intercoolers, but my car actually works better when it's raining / more humid. The water vapor helps cool the cylinders and gives you a better combustion.

On the other hand my car has reached the age where I believe it could be considered classic (if it didn't look like junk)

Intercooled cars are even more sensitive to rain.. the cooler you get that thing the more hp you throw to the wheels... which is why folks have started spraying liquid CO2 into them.

So far as water.. no worries it just runs through the intercooler (Just like your radiator only intake air runs through it instead of water) and onto the ground. If anything it may be a good thing to spray it out incase it has gunk in it that way you get more air through it when you are driveing.

PyRo
06-15-2004, 06:04 AM
there is a really pimp el camino out my the paintball field. The only problem--he has like this fugly sheet metal scoop that looks like he made himself(prolly did) bolted it on and spraypainted it, such a waste
I saw a subaru with that done, the scoop actually didn't look half bad :)

MrWallen
06-15-2004, 03:20 PM
Someone put a sheetmetal scoop on a subararu? But don't all subaru's COME with hood scoops already? I mean, it's the easiest way for me to identify them from far away.

behemoth
06-15-2004, 04:17 PM
Sti's R t3h RoXor!
:headbang: :headbang:

PyRo
06-15-2004, 05:07 PM
Someone put a sheetmetal scoop on a subararu? But don't all subaru's COME with hood scoops already? I mean, it's the easiest way for me to identify them from far away.
Not the older station wagons :)

MrWallen
06-15-2004, 05:13 PM
Yeah, you're right. Don't see many old Subaru's these days, mostly just new ones.