PDA

View Full Version : Burning hot solenoid!

OmniM
06-13-2004, 09:46 AM
[X-Mag - 3.2 software]

Ok, I stumble across some wierd errors during todays play wich led to a complete halt!

During a Lvl10 test run the gun just went to a complete halt and refused to reset. The handle went crazy hot and the battery went empty.

So, I recharged the batt again and put it on the mag. Now the soleniod went all hot again in seconds, the displayed showed LOW BATT after a very short time, and the hall effect showed ON all the time (TRG ON). And the electronics cant be turned off with the switch.

PLZ! Need help ASAP! :( .... oh, and its a new one.. only shot 700 rounds with it on e-mode, and approx 500 mechanical.

And dont tell me to search the forums, I dont have time to do it, im sorry, i know that the proper way to go.

regards /OmniM, Sweden

athomas
06-13-2004, 10:02 AM
Sounds like you have a short circuit. If the solenoid is getting hot, then the output that controls the solenoid is probably shorted. A solenoid that is always on will heat up and empty the battery in a hurry. Check for obvious shorts or debris on the circuit board. If it looks good but is acting bad, you may want to send the board back to AGD for repair/replacement.

RRfireblade
06-13-2004, 10:16 AM
If it's new,get an RA# and send it in for service.

The soleniod wires connect directly to battery source on the board and directly to the transisitor that controls it.There is no place for it to 'short'.Either the soleniod is defective,the transister is faulty or the board logic is in error.Any of those things will not be user servicable.

Send it in and don't chance blowing the warranty on a $1300 marker.

OmniM
06-13-2004, 01:30 PM
Thanx guys so much for your answers!
I will send it in ASAP.

Thanx again! :)

/H, Sweden

OmniM
06-13-2004, 01:39 PM
oh, and I just felt a horrible smell of burnt electronics :eek: ... there is something VERY wrong in it. :eek: :( :(

OmniM
07-03-2004, 10:13 AM
What will happend to the gun if the ON/OFF switch on the ACE-board breaks?

RRfireblade
07-04-2004, 02:56 PM
What will happend to the gun if the ON/OFF switch on the ACE-board breaks?

Depends on 'how' it breaks, either in the open or closed position. I'd guess either way you'd need to replace the switch,which would have to be resoldered to the ACE board.

OmniM
07-04-2004, 03:29 PM
Depends on 'how' it breaks, either in the open or closed position. I'd guess either way you'd need to replace the switch,which would have to be resoldered to the ACE board.

Its like this... put the battery in with switch OFF = OK
turn it ON and it begins to smell like **** and you cant turn it OFF again. And the bat goes empty in seconds. My Q is, can the swicth do this by its own, or can it be a shorty somewhere too?

RRfireblade
07-04-2004, 03:37 PM
I think you have a problem somewhere else. That does sound like a short actually.You need to verify the voltage path to the board.Make sure there isn't a wire pinched between the frame and the body.Also check the screw and spacer that holds the ACE board in,that the spacer doesn't have a wire under it.Pull the right side grip panel and check where the wires run through the channels and pass through the frame.And finally look under the board itself for a pinched wire. If none of that shows,disconnect the soleniod wires and try that.

I've got to run so that's all I can suggest right now.If you gt really stumped you can send it to AGD or possible me if you like.

OmniM
07-04-2004, 03:41 PM
I think you have a problem somewhere else. That does sound like a short actually.You need to verify the voltage path to the board.Make sure there isn't a wire pinched between the frame and the body.Also check the screw and spacer that holds the ACE board in,that the spacer doesn't have a wire under it.Pull the right side grip panel and check where the wires run through the channels and pass through the frame.And finally look under the board itself for a pinched wire. If none of that shows,disconnect the soleniod wires and try that.

I've got to run so that's all I can suggest right now.If you gt really stumped you can send it to AGD or possible me if you like.

Thanx for the offer!!!!

But my major problem now is that AGDE takes 4 weeks to send a part over here. And if they only send the mainboard and its the ACE-board that has the fault it will mean I loose like 60 days on the warranty just in shipping days. Wich I find very annoying.

But I will try out the suggestions you had, Thanx again!

/OmniM

lamby
07-05-2004, 02:51 AM
If you know someone that is wise in the ways of electronics, have them take a look at the fet (fast effect transistor) that feeds the soleniod. There is a very high chance that is what you had fail. This is a standard part and can be bought at any electronics supply outlet (digikey, allied ect)

If it did fail there is a chance that something else MADE it fail though so make sure all problems are fixed BEFORE you power it back up or you will blow another fet. If you look at the resistance accross the fet with no power you should have an open accross the fet. If this reads a short (zero or close to zero resistance) there is your problem. Also look at the solinoid and make sure there is a litttle resistance across the coil. A dead short will signify the coil is melted and will cause an over amperage draw on the fet (therefor making it melt)

The firing circuit of an emag is very simple if you understand basic electronics... I am sure you can find someone that could fix it for you. If the only problem is a bad fet it will be cheap.. if the coil is shot you will need to get a new one from AGD.

Hope this helps you out

Edit-
I just read that the board is showing a trigger on state at all times.. This could signify a shorted HES also. Or a damaged atmel processor. Best bet is to give it to someone that works in electronics, or send it in.

OmniM
07-10-2004, 02:57 PM
If you know someone that is wise in the ways of electronics, have them take a look at the fet (fast effect transistor) that feeds the soleniod. There is a very high chance that is what you had fail. This is a standard part and can be bought at any electronics supply outlet (digikey, allied ect)

If it did fail there is a chance that something else MADE it fail though so make sure all problems are fixed BEFORE you power it back up or you will blow another fet. If you look at the resistance accross the fet with no power you should have an open accross the fet. If this reads a short (zero or close to zero resistance) there is your problem. Also look at the solinoid and make sure there is a litttle resistance across the coil. A dead short will signify the coil is melted and will cause an over amperage draw on the fet (therefor making it melt)

The firing circuit of an emag is very simple if you understand basic electronics... I am sure you can find someone that could fix it for you. If the only problem is a bad fet it will be cheap.. if the coil is shot you will need to get a new one from AGD.

Hope this helps you out

Edit-
I just read that the board is showing a trigger on state at all times.. This could signify a shorted HES also. Or a damaged atmel processor. Best bet is to give it to someone that works in electronics, or send it in.

Thanx very much for your advices lamby!!! .. very much appreciated :)

Ok, but since I still have the warranty AGDE agreed on sending parts over to Sweden to be fixed here. Now, the only problem is that when I posted this the order was placed at the same time. So you see how long I have to wait for the things.

Another anoying thing is my X-Mag cost me 2400 USD, not the price you are used to. So at this point AGDE is pretty much pi**ing me off big time.... The only reason we heard of is that they have thier hands full with the NPS merger thing. Peronally I dont accept that apology. So they neglect the AGD customers pretty much. :mad:

Setzer
07-10-2004, 06:45 PM
Just a thought, but if you reverse the polarity (hook up neg to pos, and pos to neg) it would probably heat it up in a hurry and drain the battery. You also would smell burning electronics as it would most likely melt the wires.

I don't know e-mags at all, so I don't know if its even possible to do that, but its the first thing I thought of when you gave the symptoms. Either way, send it in for repairs, there is nothing you can do to fix it.

Tunaman
07-11-2004, 12:37 PM
Send it here...I'll fix it. ;)