PDA

View Full Version : ULE Minimag bodies

AsianMiniMag
06-13-2004, 08:05 PM
Why not try to make ULE bodies that are in the style of minimag main bodies. I know I would buy them. To me that only makes sense to make the bodies that airgun designs have already produced, ULE. I hope someone considers this because I want ULE, but I don't like the style.

The Spanish Inquisition
06-13-2004, 08:08 PM
Second that, I'll buy one.

make it twistlock though.

Bad_Dog
06-13-2004, 08:39 PM
well by making a minimag body out of aluminum.... it wouldnt last.

remember, aluminum is a soft metal which bends easily. If someone were to make an aliminum body with the front portion resembling that of the minimag body, it would dent/ break pretty quick... and to say the least; wouldnt work out too well...

OysterBoy
06-13-2004, 09:39 PM
Count me in for twist lock ULE bodys.

WHats the big deal anyways? Id pay an extra 20 for a twistlock, doesnt seem like itd be TOO tough to make one by request.

minimag03
06-13-2004, 09:53 PM
Also, some people have a collection of twistlock barrels, and they cant be used with the ULEs.
I'd buy one, maybe two if there was different colors :D

minimag03 :dance:

Dayspring
06-13-2004, 10:16 PM
#1- Not many barrel companies are making twist lock any more.

#2- by doing a minimag version, you defeat the purpose of it being ULE. You're adding MORE material.

AsianMiniMag
06-14-2004, 09:03 AM
I know that it would weigh a "little" more than the current ule body, but I would glady accept that because the minimag body looks so awesome. Anyways...this was just an idea I came up with.

68Classic
06-14-2004, 09:34 AM
Yeah, twistlock ULE bodies would be nice... Is there anyone would could make those?

DiSoRdeR
06-14-2004, 02:07 PM
Anyways...this was just an idea I came up with.

I made a thread about this exact subject last year ;)

Hexis
06-14-2004, 02:22 PM
You could not make a ULE body out of AL and keep the same shape we currently have.

Remember SS is a lot stonger than Alum. The reason the ULE body works is that the middle section is thicker where the cocker threaded part is. The breach area is also thicker, where the feedneck attaches. Those are the only real areas that have any stress on them. You can't simply mill/lathe one out to accept twist lock. You would have to start with a thicker tube and machine it to match up with the rail/valve. It would need a huge section where the feed neck would attach.

When all is said and done, it would be quite ulgy. There would be minimal weight savings. It would also be a product very very few people would be interested in. SS is just a better material for thin wall tube construction like the older bodies are. In addition, it would probably have to be vert feed, so you would need twist-lock backs that are vert feed compatible.

Twist lock was handy, but if weight is the issue, cocker threaded is a lot better. It's a much smaller back, with a lot less material, and allows a smaller breach area.

richie
06-14-2004, 02:23 PM
The minimag body made ule probably wouldn't wiegh in much more than the tac-one but a whole heck of a lot less that the stainless steel version.I doubt they would make it twistlock due to detents and such but that would be sweet to have that in aluminum.With all the copycat designs and cookie cutter guns on the market,I think the minimag look would be awesome and it is one of the best designs out there.However tooling and machining costs would probably kill the idea. :(

AsianMiniMag
06-14-2004, 10:57 PM
would titanium work? I know they use it in glasses..but why not here? that should be strong enough right?

Hexis
06-14-2004, 11:24 PM
Ti would work. And you would get all the benefits of Ti as well, like much more expensive, difficult to machine and minimal weight savings. Remember Ti is just over 1/2 as dense as SS, but Al is about 1/4th as dense as SS. The advantage of Ti is you can use less material. Now, good luck welding the Powerfeed or vertfeed on the tube.

AsianMiniMag
06-15-2004, 05:49 PM
Oh sorry....I didn't know that is was heavier....oh well scratch the idea then....