PDA

View Full Version : risk of buying used stuff

eNder159
06-16-2004, 12:27 PM
hey what kinda risk am i running if i buy a used tank of a forum that's within hydro ..and doesnt expire for another year or so ...

as long as i keep hydrotesting it ..it should be ok?

GoatBoy
06-16-2004, 04:03 PM
I guess you just risk your life and safety, and the lives and personal safety of those around you. You know, the small stuff.

NJPaint
06-16-2004, 04:13 PM
You risk being ripped off. Ripped off include, but are not limited to, wrong product, no product, faulty product, or damaged product. There is no way to be absolutely sure that something is exactly as the seller is advertizing. Feedback is crucial. I would pay extra to know that I am working with a good individual who isn't goin to screw something up. Ask for feedback before buying. Click on my signature for an example. This is how you keep people honest.

Skoad
06-16-2004, 04:24 PM
Wow you guys trying to scare him?

I've bought tons and tons of used stuff, including tanks. No problems at all.

ZapTheMad
06-16-2004, 04:48 PM
I've always had good luck with high feedback traders.

It's the low feedback traders that have screwed me. I won't buy anything from anyone without strong positive feedback.

NJPaint
06-16-2004, 05:08 PM

I never buy things new. I am not trying to scare him. Go with high feedback people and everything will be chill.

SlipknotX556
06-16-2004, 05:18 PM
Only do deals with good feedback people, you will be fine.

GoatBoy
06-16-2004, 06:10 PM

Well, he asked for the risks. Those are the risks.

I'm not trying to scare him. But a lot of people scare ME. I buy almost everything used that I can... EXCEPT for air systems.

We all have different comfort levels regarding this stuff.

brianlojeck
06-16-2004, 06:45 PM
Them's wise words. I've bought every single piece of equipment I own used, with the exception of my air systems.

In that rare event I managed to get a cheap enough air tank that I'd buy it used, I'd hydro it before I ever put it on my gun.

Blazestorm
06-16-2004, 07:02 PM
95% of what I own I've bought used, I don't think I've ever bought a paintball gun retail, always bought used. Got some unlucky ones, some lucky ones.

Bought used air tanks as well, never had any issues... I dropped a 45/45 from 5 feet and it bounced on the hard-concrete floor... I was scared ****less... didn't damage the tank at all except for 1 scuff, because a.) my foot was underneath the most of the tank on the falls and I caught it after the second bounce. I bent a gauge and couldn't get a new tank cover... I was actually putting on the tank cover when it dropped, because I had to get a new gauge =(

As a note, I have had an attempt at ripping me off, I managed to get both the guns out of the deal and made 300ish bucks off it.

Check my feedback for assurance, if the seller has feedback like me, I'd go for it :bounce:

veteranmag
06-17-2004, 02:28 PM
with tanks there are several issues:

1. the tank's condition. Even if the tank doesn't have to be tested for some time, if there are enough scratches, dents or other damage, you may not be able to pass inspection when that time does come do. you should see good, clear, close-ups of the tank body.

2. valve. if the tank has been abused, worn or is otherwise not functioning well - you may get inconsistent output pressure (possibly due to dirty piston pin, worn seals or bent pin valve - preset tanks are generally not user-serviceable) or leaks. My friend bought a tank that has a small leak from the fill nipple. It's no big deal but that is something you would need to send in ($$) to fix.

3. make sure that the valve is completely and securely screwed into the tank body. If the valve starts to unscrew from the tank - STOP!!! and have it inspected by a certified air tank service company or dealer.

4. BE SAFE. Air tanks are one of those things you don't want to mess with.

Good luck.