PDA

View Full Version : Storing paint...bags or pods?

Skoad
06-16-2004, 06:52 PM
What do you think would be the best way to store paint your not using for a few weeks. Keep it in it's original bags/box? Or put them in pods?

I was thinking the pods may give it some flat spots after a while...

barrel break
06-16-2004, 06:54 PM
I always keep it in its original bag, if its open, i put it in a gallon size ziplock freezer bag.

RRfireblade
06-16-2004, 06:56 PM
Keep 'em in the bags. Lay'd out flat in a temp controlled room.

Chris42050
06-16-2004, 06:57 PM
I prefer keeping it in the bag and twist tieing it closed. I do a box rotation at least once a week too.

Blazestorm
06-16-2004, 06:59 PM
Bags are good, I used to load up 20 pods with paint but I always got dimples.

There are many reasons they put them in bags and in 4 - 500 round bags...

- Selling, they can sell 1 bag, 2 bags, or 4 bags
- Protection, 1 bag of paint is less likely to break with 500 balls vs. 2000 balls

Just keep them in the bags, load up pods at the field, rotating them occasionally helps if you're that anal about it :rolleyes:

GoatBoy
06-16-2004, 07:01 PM
For an unopened bag, keep them in there and maybe set them down on something soft in a controlled environment.

For the rest, I prefer pods. I dislike twist ties.

You can't always tell how well a bag is really sealed up. Sometimes the seams come apart without your knowledge. This has happened to me. Be sure to check the bags every now and then if you're using them that they're still in tact.

If you put them in a pod without packing them too tight and lay the pods on their sides, then they don't get any more dimpled than any other method. Maybe rotate them every few days to keep them from getting too settled.

I've kept paint for MONTHS like this with no problem. I had a bunch of TexBall paint leftover that I took out and spanked people with a few months later.

gc82000
06-16-2004, 09:03 PM
Yeah an unopened bag is best stored that way. But I also put my paint in a cooler so that no moisture will be allowed in and the tempature will stay the same.

JKR
06-16-2004, 09:41 PM
Couple of things in the above posts...

Loosely packing paint in pods and laying them on their sides should be better than storing in bags in the prevention of flat spots. Less weight from above is always better.

A cooler is not airtight and will allow air in.

No one even compares to my "anality" in storing paint. Of course, the fact that I only keep about half a case or less allows me to do these things a bit easier than those who have two or three cases laying around. Here is my method...

1. Paint is tubed in old-school ten round tubes at nine balls per tube. No compression this way and no weight from other paint on top of it. All tubes are stored so the paint is laying horizontally, not vertically, to keep weight off the paint.

2. Ten round tubes are then put in cheapy snap-top food containers that I picked up at a local Dollar General store. Each container holds fifteen of the ten round tubes or 135 paintballs.

3. Two of these containers (270 rounds) fit perfectly in a surplus Army-issue .50 caliber metal ammo can. These are truly airtight containers with a heavy duty rubber seal and sturdy construction.

4. Each ammo can gets a silica dessicant pack available from Cabelas. This absorbs all humidity. I haven't noticed it causing any ill-effect on paint (ie shrinkage or brittleness). Paint is flipped once or twice a week.

Here is a link for those reusable silica packs...

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jhtml?id=0005567220673a&navAction=jump&navCount=0&indexId=&podId=0005567&catalogCode=IE&parentId=&parentType=&rid=&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fitem-link.jhtml.1_A&_DAV=search&hasJS=true

My warped and twisted mind has devised another method of providing paint an almost totally controlled environment for storage. Thinking about it recently, I realized that if I had a freezer that no longer worked, it would provide practically an airtight seal perfect for paint storage. Throw in enough silica to absorb moisture allowed to enter when the door was open and you could easily store many cases of paint without humidity affecting it.

Just some rambling thoughts from a madman...

LudavicoSoldier
06-16-2004, 10:43 PM
Wow! Sir, you are a freak! :dance:

elpimpo
06-16-2004, 10:57 PM
if you are over the age of 15 thats pretty bad. if you are under or over you really need a girlfriend

Halliday
06-16-2004, 11:57 PM
No one even compares to my "anality" in storing paint....
Obsesse much? :dance:
And my friends thought I was wierd, wait till I show them this thread.

Mister Sinister
06-17-2004, 01:04 AM
:eek: Wow! that is way too much work to store paint. Thats beyond anal. I agree with elpimpo find a girlfriend. Especially considering how even the newest freshest paint is far from perfect anyways. As for the original question anything unopened remains in the original box (I shoot inferno mostly I really like the suitcase style box it comes in) anything thats in my pods just stays in my pods. I may take out a few from each pod just so they arent packed in tightly.

GoatBoy
06-17-2004, 01:23 AM
JKR: Man, that's awesome! Good link to the rechargeable silica.

All of you guys yapping about girlfriends... do you have girlfriends yourselves?

elpimpo
06-17-2004, 01:28 AM
i cal her palmla anderson

JKR
06-17-2004, 05:16 AM
Nah, it isn't that much work! I used to even sort paint one ball at a time to get all the out-of-round and imperfect ones separated. Now that is work! I gave up on that some time ago.

I guess it partially stems from the fact I am a pumper most of the time. We tend to be a bit weird anyway! ;)

BTW, I will tell my wife that I need to find a girlfriend. I am sure she will love to hear about that. Oh, and she thinks I am a bit nuts too.

Lohman446
06-17-2004, 06:05 AM
Wow, thats probably better than my method of twisting the bags and putting the opening under them (like when you reseal bread) - then throwing the case on top of the filing cabinet and letting it sit to next week - then again my house is air condtioned so that probably helps.

TheTramp
06-17-2004, 10:16 AM
I always keep it in its original bag, if its open, i put it in a gallon size ziplock freezer bag.

This is same thing I do. Then I'll flip the box with the bags in it once a month.

I just shot a case of Draxus paint that I got at LAST YEAR'S Shattner ball through my E-Mag with no (I'm not lying) breaks.

Of course crappy paint will be even crappier a year later no matter how it is stored.

Thordic
06-17-2004, 10:39 AM
I have a big 5-gallon plastic jerrycan that I use to store paint. It'd hold, oh I dunno, about 3-4 cases.

The paint at the bottom is at least 2 years old. And it also has about 20+ lbs of weight bearing down on it :)

But the can IS airtight, its a can made to store hazardous liquids in. (My dad stole it from work, brand new. They cost like $100 apiece or something like that).

I thought the paint inside would turn to crap after a while, but even stored in an un-cooled room all summer, the paint comes out in decent shape. I use it to test guns all the time. I prolly have about 8,000 - 10,000 balls in it right now.

cphilip
06-17-2004, 10:43 AM
... I prolly have about 8,000 - 10,000 balls in it right now.

You gotta lot of balls!

(couldn't resist)

elpimpo
06-17-2004, 05:10 PM
he he he. i fully was going to say that to

jayloo
06-17-2004, 06:29 PM

This is exactly what I do ... gallon size freezer bags. Keeps paint perfect.

logamus
06-17-2004, 06:46 PM
jerrycan
SIR!!! how can you be so offensive to German Americans!!!!!

:rofl: