PDA

View Full Version : how long does unused paint last

tranzformer
06-17-2004, 12:40 AM
i tried doing a search but i came up dry. So how long would you guys say unused, unopend paint still in its box and unopend would last if its stored in a cool, dry place. there is a great deal on paint and i kinda want to stock up, but dont know how long it will take me to use it all

elpimpo
06-17-2004, 01:00 AM
if it stored well id say like 4-5 months tops. even then it might suck when u use it. but i had some stuff that was open and not stored well and it shot after 6 months, but thats was out of a lx mag

shartley
06-17-2004, 05:40 AM
Well, we are about to use some pretty old paint at my place. Some of it was from the end of last year’s paintball season, and some is from Christmas (relatives got it for my son). We have looked it over and some of it is dimpled but overall it isn’t too bad. It will make for some pretty interesting shots. LOL

JKR
06-17-2004, 05:47 AM
If stored with great care, it can last a year or longer. Practically (because most find my methods of storage a bit extreme), however, I would say 6 months is reaching the outer limits for most. It depends too if you live in a humid climate or a very arid one. Those living in a dry region should be able to store it longer that the average bloke.

TheTramp
06-17-2004, 10:19 AM
If stored with great care, it can last a year or longer.

I agree. I just shot a case of Draxus from last year's Shattner Ball through my E-Mag with no breaks (as I just wrote in a different thread).

Of course if it had been crappy paint to begin with I probably wouldn't have had as good luck with it.

Chojin Man
06-17-2004, 01:23 PM
JKR: What sort of methods do you use?

1ofkind
06-17-2004, 01:41 PM
If you keep the paint in its seal within a cool dry place it should last a very long time. I just used paint from maybe a year ago. If its kept out of humidity and heat it should be fine. :cheers:

RenagadeOfFunk
06-17-2004, 01:44 PM
...it depends on the paint strength when it is purcahsed and what gun its shot through...

...i used big ball that was a little over 8 months old in my alias last saturday without one break and they all were shooting great...

(keep your unused paint in bags because pods can cause dents on the balls if you pack it to tight...and it also makes your pods greasy/smelly)

...also keep them at 60-75 degrees F...thats why mine were still good...

Chris42050
06-17-2004, 03:08 PM
It's been my experience that the shell gets weaker with time. So I would say it depends on what type of paint you are storing and how well you take care of it. I like to flip my box over once a week also. Dont know if it actually helps, but it makes me feel better. :dance:

Chronobreak
06-17-2004, 03:22 PM
flipping the paint box helps the paint to not settle to one side of the ball also keeping it in climate/humidity control is great if u can

skife
06-17-2004, 03:26 PM
dunno ask the 3 month old marbs that have been sitting in my trunk for 2 months.

JKR
06-17-2004, 04:49 PM
Herein are the chronicles of my freakish ways...

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=141362

gorymonkey2
06-17-2004, 06:16 PM
believe it or not, i've had some paint that i couldn't find but found it three years after i bought it and used it all with NO BREAKS, i couldn't believe it, this really made me appreciate the lx because my freinds' excalibur and angel ir3 c&c both broke constantly even with eyes on!!! the one thing was that it was very inaccurate and wasn't worth using.

1ofkind
06-20-2004, 07:33 PM
Wow,very interisting, thats pretty amazeing. Just goes to show its how you take care of them. :dance: :bounce: :cheers:

nato
06-20-2004, 09:26 PM
I still have a few paintballs from the 1st case of paint I ever bought... about 9 years ago. Still feels like a nice solid paintball. Just dont store in humidity/extreme conditions.

N.A.T.O.

Dufus
06-20-2004, 09:48 PM
wow jkr thats insane...

i couldn't do that; when i shoot a pod at the chorno that would be far far too tedious for me.

gc82000
06-20-2004, 09:57 PM
wow i bow to the knowlegde of jkr. :hail: :hail: :headbang: :hail: :hail:

Deathshadow9k
06-21-2004, 03:18 AM
beware old paint if not stored properly
my friend had an unknown brand of paint it was so old.....it was green if that helps but, the bags had been sitting in his attic since 9th grade so about 4 years ago...they shot straight and true....but not a single ball broke if not stepped on....ref at field said they was a no go after hurting his thumb trying to break em.
it was pretty funny laying into the net and letting em rain down on the guys stuck below it

The Spanish Inquisition
06-21-2004, 03:12 PM
I have thought about the freezer/refrigerator idea but I decided it was a bad idea. Although it is a very very dry cool place, upon taking the paint out of the refigerator any moisture in the air would condense on it making it wet. Extreme temp changes, such as from the hot trunk of your car to the air conditioned house, or vice versa are probably one of the worse things for the casing.