PDA

View Full Version : Video quality expirement (Yes, it's paintball related...)

Tyger
06-17-2004, 06:47 PM
I'm doing a few expirements with Web Dog, and video quality.

http://www.webdogradio.us/video/xprmnt/

It's a raw folder, no HTML. In there is a .WMV file of extreme high quality. Also in there are two quicktime videos in different resolution qualities. They're all the same video, this weeks' music video (Evanessence, "Bring me to Life", I know it's not everyone's thing, but it works...), just different quality and format.

I'm just trying to see what people think of the higher quality wmv, and the quality of the quicktime I can pump out of this computer. If everyone likes it, I'll start rendering shows in the new formats. So, what'cha think? (This means YOU trevorjk!!!!)

-Tyger

RenagadeOfFunk
06-17-2004, 06:56 PM
...i forgot a new vid came out today :)...thx Tyger for reminding me...

I have been meaning to ask you...What do you do for a living?...
and...
...can i be in one of your future videos (preferably between now and end of August)...

coolcatpete
06-17-2004, 07:02 PM
The Third vid on there was the best however it was not full, then the first one was the better of the completed ones.
Pete

coolcatpete
06-17-2004, 07:04 PM
OH yeah yet again a sweet video. I normally only like your speedball music videos, but this was still sweet. I love that tank that is powered by fred flinstone power.
Pete

Tyger
06-17-2004, 07:04 PM
It's fully loaded now. I was posting as I was uploading.

Oh, umm, Renegade, what I do? Freelance writing, videographer, (And I'd complete the joke, but I'm not 100% sure if it's TOS friendly here...) other stuff too... But that's not really important here.

-Tyger

coolcatpete
06-17-2004, 07:06 PM
It's fully loaded now. I was posting as I was uploading.

Oh, umm, Renegade, what I do? Freelance writing, videographer, (And I'd complete the joke, but I'm not 100% sure if it's TOS friendly here...) other stuff too... But that's not really important here.

-Tyger
OK in that case the third one is by far the best.
Pete

RenagadeOfFunk
06-17-2004, 07:06 PM
...the higher the res the happier i am :)...(sorry i am spoiled with plasma and HD-TV)...

...i was amazed at how fast i was able to DL the video...it took me under a minute for the Very high-res version...but the older videos it takes me 10+ minutes...

I have 1.5 megabits per second dsl so i don't think that is the problem...

By The Way
...thanks for the answer Tyger...i was asking suicidal snyper for a while but he didn't know...

tony3
06-17-2004, 07:11 PM
Nice video, I solved the crap music by turning the volume off on the quicktime player and putting on some slayer instead ;)

jesseyo13
06-17-2004, 07:18 PM
loose the music man, This video calls for FUEL-Metallica, but then again I think everything calls for fuel :headbang:

Tyger
06-17-2004, 07:19 PM
for the sake of argument, forget the content. I'm more concerned about the video quality here.

coolcatpete
06-17-2004, 07:21 PM
I dont like the music alone but with that video it works nicely. Dave Mathews
Pete

Blazestorm
06-17-2004, 07:22 PM
It's higher, but is that the source video that's so low quality?

For examples... here is one shot with my dad's 1500 1 CCD Camera (About equal to today's 500-600), Encoded in the Highest my encoder will allow (740x480 w/4000 kbps streaming) This was imported via composite and with a moviebox, but with firewire It'd be higher quality.

www.sgclan.net/para.wmv
www.sgclan.net/prac.wmv

If you want to see video shot with a 50,000 3 CCD Professional Camera, Encoded in what my friend calls "Low Quality" the High quality was over a gig.

www.sgclan.net/eka/psi.wmv

I like the new footage, what are you using to film and encode?

Skoad
06-17-2004, 07:35 PM
higher quality the better, how are you compressing them? Maybe try xvid ?

Tyger
06-17-2004, 07:51 PM
It's higher, but is that the source video that's so low quality?
I like the new footage, what are you using to film and encode?

That's a possibility, that I'm held up to the source quality. I'm still not 100% happy with my ability to make Quicktime work, but I think it's the software.

To film it's a regualr video camera, filming on VHS tape. It's transfered to mpg by "Dazzle", and I use Video Explosion deluxe to edit. My problem is I'm on a Win. ME box, so My tech is about 4 years old. (Whazza "Firewire"? :) ) If I can upgrade computers, I'll probably upgrade my stuff too. But, for now, I'm using stuff that I know works. Justs not as well as some.

I've alrteayd enjoyed your vids too, I think I'm going to need a digital cam then, eh? :) I like the smaller cams becasue you can get close into the action, and still duck when you need to without getting hammered. But, you may be right in that the quality is limited by the source material.

-Tyger

Major Jam
06-17-2004, 08:09 PM
.wmv was the best, but big. :)

jayloo
06-17-2004, 08:25 PM
.wmv was the best, but big. :)

What he said. :D

trevorjk
06-17-2004, 10:43 PM
So, what'cha think? (This means YOU trevorjk!!!!)

-Tyger

HAHA thanks :) ... now only if we could get you to redo your halloween specials in that format ;)

... and either the free quicktime download just sucks or the quality wasnt much different then any of your other high quality videos of before... but the windows video quality was awesome i could actually have it on full scrn (22 inches) and not have a hard time seeing, it was clear :clap: .... the quick time vid how ever i could only have in about a 7 inch window before it go so bad that i had to shrink the video due to blotchyness and blurryness

- i hope this helps