PDA

View Full Version : I raised a "Hype" kid

SteelSoul
06-18-2004, 10:55 AM
Well I sadly heard from my son the other day that "Insert Name of any new item here" is much better then my ol mag.
I thought I did everything right
First marker he was exposed to was a Sheridan pump
Then I went high tech and got a Blazer
And then my RT
I started him out right, got him a 98 and got some normal upgrades, nothing big just a new barrel and the thing shoots like a dream. Then his friend started to play good time right? NOT
Well his buddy got a A5 about the same time, he didn't like it so he starts to complain to his mom and then the new markers came flying, I think his mom just bought him a DM4 cause his old Matrix just wasn't fast enough or something. Well my son is dying with marker envy and the just has to have a Timmy.
Yall I love paintball but I am not going to drop 800 + for a 13 yr to play paintball and be kewl with his little friends and have the bestest timmy or what ever!!!
I thought I had brought him up better then this. I knew I had lost the battle when my son told me that his friends Hammer Head can out shoot a Flatline or al east as far as one.
What am I to do :confused:
Damn little want to be turny Dye wearing Mumble mumble mumb.......

I still have fun hucking paint with my son but I hate to see him fall for the Hype

tony3
06-18-2004, 11:03 AM
Haha, this thread is classic. I say you get him the timmy, because we do know they shoot better then mags ;)

Halliday
06-18-2004, 11:03 AM
If he has his own money, let him buy the Timmy. Also let him be on his own to get it fixed or upgraded.
Take him to the field and school him with the RT too :shooting:

Stewylouie
06-18-2004, 11:04 AM
The same is true about kids for everything.
Clothes, computers, cars ... etc.
You just have to instill into your kids the value of a dollar.
I'm a grown adult and I'm amazed by the number of pre-teens with guns costing over $1,000.
Now the price isn't an issue (so long as you can afford it) the real issue is whether the kids appreciate what they are getting. Most seem to me spoiled rotten and have no conception on what it takes to earn the money to buy the gun.
If you son wants some expensive gun, tell him, that it costs and he has to do his share to raise the money. Chores, after school jobs etc.
PB is an expensive sport. He needs to know that he is expected to earn the right to play.

Thermus
06-18-2004, 11:05 AM
Just smack him across the face, and then smack his friends.

XbeasleyX
06-18-2004, 11:06 AM
Two words - Paper Route

Edit - Or take Thermus's Advise.

tony3
06-18-2004, 11:10 AM
Just smack him across the face, and then smack his friends.

Then go see a judge when the other kids parents press charges :ninja:

Bulldog
06-18-2004, 11:33 AM
He's 13, and you expected him to be mature.... :D. I say paper route. Want the hype, gotta pay for it.

RenagadeOfFunk
06-18-2004, 11:37 AM
I think his mom just bought him a DM4 cause his old Matrix just wasn't fast enough or something. Well my son is dying with marker envy and the just has to have a Timmy.

I still have fun hucking paint with my son but I hate to see him fall for the Hype

...Its just common competition between friends...I am younger than my friends that play paintball and I have the most expensive stuff...and the kicker is I am the one without a job...

...I am not spoiled...I just don't use my lunch money :D

...think of it this way...what can you get after an intimidator...another one :rolleyes: ...tell him no new guns until he sells his old one for a decent price and saves a few $100 for it...then to finish it up wth,,"No new gun for a year",...and after that he has to sell the intimidator for a new gun...ect.

-Master Renegade

TDonovan
06-18-2004, 11:38 AM
Tell him he can buy whatever he wants, but you won't pay for everything anymore.

I really wasn't allowed to play paintball until I was 16, had a car/license, and enough money to support my own hobbies/habits.

RenagadeOfFunk
06-18-2004, 11:41 AM
Tell him he can buy whatever he wants, but you won't pay for everything anymore.

I really wasn't allowed to play paintball until I was 16, had a car/license, and enough money to support my own hobbies/habits.

...That must suck...I started at 10 :D (why waste talent)

...I just realized I could get things i wanted faster by saving..."Saving for the future" as I use to call it...now since I am "done"...I call it "Saving for cases of paint"... :shooting:

Automaget
06-18-2004, 12:00 PM
I would have your kid read on stuff and make him learn at the same time tell him why the hammerhead can not go as far as a flatline show him really scientifec threads or articals there out there you just have to find them and then explain to him why that is or why it isnt and then he will understand, you dont need a really good marker to be a good player this is what i say "its not the gun who makes the player its the player that makes the gun" tell that to him. But in no way should you ever get him a awsome maker i would get him 600 tops but dont buy him a timmy buy him an automag they kick ars. :headbang:

Got_Paint
06-18-2004, 12:30 PM
It's never too early to teach a kid physics.

xXHavokXx
06-18-2004, 12:34 PM
Get him a used angel, it's cheaper and wont break. Also make him low lawns, clean gutters or other slave labor tactics in order to get him money for the angel and teach him the value of the money and the gun. Then sell him into slavery, get yourself an xmag and his old angel as a back up.

Nothing wrong with wearing Dye gear and playing tournies....

Butterfingers
06-18-2004, 12:37 PM
Two Words give him the RT and set it up to "Rapid Fire..."

He will lay waste...

magman007
06-18-2004, 12:37 PM
trust me the no new guns for a year thing really works, aslong as you enforce it. I know, it happened to me, but my mom wasn as strict. I had my sfl e-mag for 8 months, then i went on gun whoring. the thing is, i stil payed for all of my markers. trust me, if he wants a timmy, make him do that. Make sure he gets an alias or some thing tho, so he wont feel undergunned in a year. because we all know how they crank timmies out like bunnies crank out other bunnies.

ZAust
06-18-2004, 12:40 PM
Nothing wrong with wearing Dye gear and playing tournies....

or shooting zap paint, right?
;)

SteelSoul
06-18-2004, 12:59 PM
These are all good points and thanks for the view from the younger guys
I will talk to him about him finding ways to get his owen marker, I just dont like the pressure he is putting on me to get him a timmy..
Not to knock Dye kids and stuff but u have to know what I mean, there is this one kid he has a impy and I dont know if I have ever seen him play a game but the kid sure can walk a trigger. Thats pretty much the only thing he does, dry fire markers and swagger around in his Dye gear.

Blazestorm
06-18-2004, 01:19 PM
Parents always made me pay for my guns, if I wanted something big, we split the cost and I'd work to pay them back later.

Make him play with a pump or mech gun, the more you play with a pump or mech gun, the better your aim will be and other playing tactics, vs. just having a gun that shoots fast.

I've seen kids with tippmanns beat out guys with alias's because the kids with alias's could shoot fast, and that was it, the tippmann guys snuck around the field and backdoored half ot them :D

LittlePaintballBoy
06-18-2004, 01:20 PM
Just make him pay for all his stuff. My parents (12 years old right now) make me pay for everything, and I think once he has to do that he will realize he doesn't need all that stuff. I still look at deals and think up crazy schemes to get a new marker, but I am really content with my ULE RT for now. I went through the gun-whore stage a little bit ago, I went from Spyder to RT mag to EMag to Matrix back to RT ULE mag, just in a few months. Now that I have used different things I realize I like my gun, and I barely have enough money to buy paint. Just make sure you don't pay for anything of his, he will get through it. It'
s just a phase for most, but for some unlucky people (imo ;)) it is almost a way of life :rofl:

slade
06-18-2004, 01:39 PM
as for the flatline/hammerhead, show him this...
http://www.northarc.com/~tinker/flatline.html
http://humane.sourceforge.net/published/coanda_effect.html
really good information on why the flatline shoots farther... and how wings create lift, for that matter.

as for him going on an equipment rampage... do what my parents did: never spend more than $400 a year on him (birthday+holidays) and make him work for any new products he wants. make him paint the whole outside of the house over the summer for $8 an hour. then next summer make him paint the inside of the house, and then make him rebuild the porch (and then re-paint it) then tell him he can buy the timmy if he wants.

oh, and theres nothing wrong with wearing dye clothes...

06-18-2004, 01:43 PM
Well if he is seriously into tournaments then you should support him IF you have the money. But a Timmy to play rec ball is just a waste of money and paint. Also if he is going to get a high end gun make sure he tries them all before he buys one and gets the one he is most comfortable with.

jesseyo13
06-18-2004, 02:02 PM
I would get the kid an old angel led. Wont break down and the milling makes it look sweet. You can find them now for about 250 if you look around. Id still make the kid work like a dog for it. :headbang:

RTGuy86
06-18-2004, 02:05 PM
ill tell you the worst thing in the world to do to him.....back when the e-baldes first came out i was a cocker whore(i know) and i just had to have one. So i asked my parents if they would split the cost w/ me and i would pay them back. they said we will think about it. the next day they said they would go half on it....so i got my $ together and we ordered it. when it came in my parents put it right on top of the computer. or atleast i thought it was.....it turned out they took the main trigger frame and left me w/ just the 3 way.......when i asked them about it, my dad was like you payed for half of it and untill you pay me back this half is mine....lol.....needless to say he let me put it on my gun the next day so i could play w/ it but i really worked my tail off to get the $ i owed them.....now im trying to get them to go half on a new RT pro ule custom....i need like 1300 bucks to get all my tourny gear again. i left paintball for a while when i first got into restoring my car and i thought i was going to play airsoft...blah.... now my car is mostly restored except for some new paint and some other odds and ends so im getting anoyther team together(hopefully all mag guys) and play in some local and non-local tournies. long story short...... if you have the $ make him go half and just take what you think is your fair share....j/k.unless you really want to...lol

mcdkid
06-18-2004, 02:15 PM
there is only one good reason for parental cantrols- block pbnation

after that, get him to hang around AO for a while.

Remember friend don't let friend surf pbnation. talk to your kids or friends about pbnation. for help talk to the people at K.P.A.F.P.B.N. (keep people away from pbnation)... its their future help make it right. lol

jesseyo13
06-18-2004, 02:20 PM
I used that in my sig mcdkid! You like?

mcdkid
06-18-2004, 02:26 PM
thats cool

WenULiVeUdiE
06-18-2004, 02:58 PM
there is only one good reason for parental cantrols- block pbnation
Remember friend don't let friend surf pbnation. talk to your kids or friends about pbnation. for help talk to the people at K.P.A.F.P.B.N. (keep people away from pbnation)... its their future help make it right. lol

If that happened to me, then well in a year I'd stil lbe playing at every other field. I have freinds I met from PBN. We all met through a thread where one guy wanted to start a field. We kept loading him with all sorts of ideas. Most of PBN sucks, but some parts are great.

As for Steelsoul, give him a limit to spend. I had about 700 to spend on a new gun, my dad told me you can only spend 400. I'm happy he made me do so. I'm now able to play much more and I can afford some nice upgrades. Also, remind him of all other costs for a 13 year old( I'm one myself). Going to lunch, buying gifts, repairs, loosing stuff, birthday parties, etc. You may have 700 to spend on a gun, but what about all the other non-paintball related stuff we spend money on. Make him understand that saving and finding good deals is an important skill that will help him later on.

Hope this helps,

Andrew

P.S. If he wants another "super-fast gun" tell him to get the BKO ( Yes I know this isnt the best Ill explain) and buy him a Chaos chip/board for it. With the Chaos it will basically be just as fast as a timmy, meaning as fast as you can pull. If he says no, its not fast enough, then you know he just wants the Timmy for bragging rights and to feel like he's good or w/e. Make him explain to you why he needs a Timmy, or why it's better than his current marker. I've had to do all this stuff, and it works.

ZapTheMad
06-18-2004, 03:16 PM
Lucky for me my kid still likes his spyder :)

AGDlover
06-18-2004, 03:49 PM
over my 5years of paintball(i'm 14 now) i've only gone through 3 guns(maby 4) and i've settaled on a gun that i truly love my mag. you ask your kid whats wrong with the RT that he needs a tummy for. if he can't think of anything just tell him what my mom tells me, if ya want it, pay for it yourself. if you kid want a timmy really bad go out to a local park and try and find someone that would be willing to let him give it a try. you just can't force someone to have a mag, its a decishion. If they don't feel comforable with one then hey at least they tryed one. but if ya want him to stay with the mag, show him Zmans 34bps retro mag :p
and help him get the best performance out of his gun.

tony3
06-18-2004, 03:49 PM
If that happened to me, then well in a year I'd stil lbe playing at every other field. I have freinds I met from PBN. We all met through a thread where one guy wanted to start a field. We kept loading him with all sorts of ideas. Most of PBN sucks, but some parts are great.

As for Steelsoul, give him a limit to spend. I had about 700 to spend on a new gun, my dad told me you can only spend 400. I'm happy he made me do so. I'm now able to play much more and I can afford some nice upgrades. Also, remind him of all other costs for a 13 year old( I'm one myself). Going to lunch, buying gifts, repairs, loosing stuff, birthday parties, etc. You may have 700 to spend on a gun, but what about all the other non-paintball related stuff we spend money on. Make him understand that saving and finding good deals is an important skill that will help him later on.

Other things besides paintball? :confused:

xXHavokXx
06-18-2004, 04:06 PM
;)

Hahahaha, what is funny is 98% of the time we shoot Worr paint.

-=Squid=-
06-18-2004, 04:10 PM
Why are you not encouraging him to get into the tourney scene, if thats what he wants to do? Considering that you are a paintball, im surprised.

SteelSoul
06-18-2004, 05:04 PM
Oh im not at all
I support him all the way, he played a 3v3 turny a few months back and they won 2nd place. Heck his buddy Kelton was even there and all of the kids had mech markers.
If he wants to play turny ball go for it, it is the posers that get me.

sneakyhacker420
06-18-2004, 05:13 PM
go show him the z-man video of him shooting 32+ bps with his RT

or if you want to get him a better gun, but not one that costs $1400, pick up an 04 viking while you still can - $900 bucks and its faster, more efficent, and simpler than any DM4 ever will be

Digits
06-18-2004, 05:27 PM
save him the embarasment.. Get him the timmy tell him thats the only gun your ever buying him and if he wants new ones he will have to find ways to buy/sell/trade them.. Just make sure he doesn't do something stupid with it and trade it for what he thinks is a good marker but isnt..

But on second though..

Screw a timmy.. For the price just get him a used DM4 or something.. Timmys suck, and it's a pretty damn complex gun for a 13 year old.. Atleast if the DM4 breaks and he takes it apart, there arn't as many pieces

Digits
06-18-2004, 05:30 PM
go show him the z-man video of him shooting 32+ bps with his RT

or if you want to get him a better gun, but not one that costs $1400, pick up an 04 viking while you still can - $900 bucks and its faster, more efficent, and simpler than any DM4 ever will be

simpler.. Hell no..

Easier to maintain - yes aslong as it doesn't break.. DM4's are VERY simple guns, just like any trix.. Basically the guns the bolt.. But I see people's vikings breaking down and they have no clue on how to fix it because it's a pretty complex gun.. Plus there are people that know matrices everywhere.. Not many that know the vikings inside and out.

-=Squid=-
06-18-2004, 05:56 PM
So now people with timmies are posers?

Gimme a break. Mech mags are GREAT guns, but a timmy IS a superior marker. ESPECIALLY for tournement play.

Curly
06-18-2004, 06:04 PM
simpler.. Hell no..

Easier to maintain - yes aslong as it doesn't break.. DM4's are VERY simple guns, just like any trix.. Basically the guns the bolt.. But I see people's vikings breaking down and they have no clue on how to fix it because it's a pretty complex gun.. Plus there are people that know matrices everywhere.. Not many that know the vikings inside and out.

I dont know where you got the understanding that Timmies are more complex than Dm4's? There is nothing to a timmy, its a ram and a valve with some regs. A dm4 has a lot of pieces that have to go together in a precise way that is easy to screw up. A dm4 also has tons of O-rings that will need replacing. I have been shooting timmies for a couple years now and find them to be great guns that require little to no maintenance.

-Jeremy

p.s. I have owned a DM4, so dont tell me that I dont know what I am talking about.

Digits
06-18-2004, 06:09 PM
Well ok.. I'll put it more like this.. You take the grip frame of a timmy.. And it's caos in there, useless wires running everywhere, houses blah.. DM4's just seem simpler..

Both are simple though.. Come on if you can't put a matrix back together properly you shouldn't even be owning one..

I don't like timmies though, never will.. Expecially after seeing a GZ being worked on for 5 hours before it was finally working.. There overhyped guns IMO

tony3
06-18-2004, 06:19 PM
Are you joking? You can look and see where every wire goes to, take off 1 screw, the board comes off, unplug the 2 wiring harnesses and you can see exactly where every wire goes to. Timmys are extremely simple guns. I would say they are one of the simplest guns in the highend market, next to impys.

Curly
06-18-2004, 06:52 PM
Are you joking? You can look and see where every wire goes to, take off 1 screw, the board comes off, unplug the 2 wiring harnesses and you can see exactly where every wire goes to. Timmys are extremely simple guns. I would say they are one of the simplest guns in the highend market, next to impys.

Exactly.

totalknockout
06-18-2004, 09:15 PM
heres some advice 4 months of 3 lawns and a cemetary mowing and scrubbing toilets and laundry duty bought me a new emag and i just now got a part time job becuase of the experience turn him into a mieser and then you dont have to worry about what kind of retirement home youll live in. :argh:

Digits
06-18-2004, 09:33 PM
I don't know.. I seen atleast 15-20 wires floating around in the gripframe/noid area, and some hoses.. It looks like a spyder with a boob job..

The rest of the gun may be simple.. But come on.. My trix has 6 wires.. 4 in 1 connection and 2 in the other.. It's a little simpler to me.. I've never worked on a timmy though, only seen one apart so yeah.. I don't like them either way, everyone and there grandmas has a timmy hear so they get annoying..

Oh and.. All guns are virtually the same in simpleness I guess, (except for the select few).. It's all about knowing the gun.. I never did learn a spyder though so maybe thats why the timmies complex to me :bounce: :dance: :shooting: :rofl:

Digits
06-18-2004, 09:36 PM
PM me your e-mail to Tony.. For the gun of the month thingy! :bounce: :cheers: :dance: :spit_take :nono: :wow:

06-18-2004, 09:52 PM
If you buy from your local reputable pro shop you will probably get a lifetime warranty and you wont have to worry about the complexity of the gun. Support your local proshop kids. :clap:

SteelSoul
06-18-2004, 10:14 PM
I am not saying All kids walking around with these high $ guns are posers. What I am saying is how easy it is for my son to fall for HYPE.

sneakyhacker420
06-18-2004, 11:45 PM
a timmy is a spyder with a solenoid, a LPR, and a pneumatic ram

its probably the simplest, and one of the fastest electros out there because of it

it looks like chaos because of all the wires in the grip, but 4 of thoes go to the break beam eyes, 2 to the trigger switch, 2 to the noid, 2 to the battery, 2 to the switch and then a cable to the LCD screen

i dont even have a timmy anymore, but when i had my timmy for one month, i knew it better than the back of my own hand - i had that thing running at 43 PSI with the evil front end - beat that with your timmy :headbang:

kinda getting off topic.... so ill stop here

GoatBoy
06-18-2004, 11:45 PM
Yep, it's about time to cut off the parental slush fund for paintball. I wouldn't buy the gun for him. I'd make him work is butt off for it. I'd also make him buy his own paint.

What I think is dangerous about paintball (particularly with the kids) is the fact that it can be so expensive and consuming. I'm glad I didn't fully pick it up until after college, or things might have been different.

If you do buy the gun for him, you should get something out of is as well. Make sure his priorities are straight, and if they're not, maybe you could use the hype to your advantage. I don't know what kind of grades your kid is making, but if he's slouching, get him to straighten 'em up. If the gun turns out to be a disappointment, well, at least he'll be better off than the rest of the tournament kids, school and future wise.

And no matter what, don't tech the gun for him. It's his responsibility. In fact, I'd maintain that the gun belongs to you, and he gets to use it. If he breaks it, he has to fix it; meanwhile, you can take the gun away from him whenever as punishment and, if need be, sell it and get your money back if the whole deal goes sour.

$1000+ is nothing to sneeze at.

Man, I'd be Hell as a parent, wouldn't I?

DiSoRdeR
06-19-2004, 12:06 AM
Make him pay for everything, thats what I have to do. Makes you learn the value of a dollor. And pretty soon he wont want to be shooting that much paint ;)

SteelSoul
06-19-2004, 12:15 AM
Well said folks
I think it will be a good idea for him to do that.

SS

Apollo
06-19-2004, 12:57 AM
i am the "hype kid'. i am glad and at yer mercy for the peeps that laked my dad into gettin that gun fer me and whats a little blood and sweet for an alias man.AND LET ME MAKE THIS CLEAR i was an turtle cocker fanatic i love low end guns i was right their wit my dad drueling over the desert fox i was in love wit his blazer man.it was the first gun i ever shot.my first gun was a freakin stock gun ok the rebel yet i took them on and had no fear. i agree wit the dude who says the gun doesnt make the player the player makes the gun im all for that. a team of bling bling im uber tourny guys played us we beat them faster tha n any other team cause we wanted it more we needed it and how did i do it with my tippman and long azz barrel. mostly im getting this gun to one up my freind right now hes flicking me and my dad off so my job is complete plus i realy realy like the alias,but i wanted a dragon for a while. mostly i stuck by the turtle for a couple of years. and i am a if you cna call it H8ter of angels i hunt them i liek em and all but will never own one.

Skoad
06-19-2004, 01:48 AM
Maybe you get him a higher end gun in return for some good grades in school...like english class! :)

Just teasin' ya ;) ;)

Carbon
06-19-2004, 05:03 AM
SteelSoul:

I think the real issue here is your kid is growing up. I rember at that age wanting a pair of the hypest shoes or something, of course i never got them, but whatever. I think the most important think to teach is the value of honest work. Sure even if ya help him out a little and he wants to get the hypest gun out there, you at least know he earned it. To me his desire for "hype" items is your biggest advantage and can be great a motivativational tool. Good luck!

SteelSoul
06-19-2004, 08:42 AM
So true Carbon, I think the best thing I can do is make sure the mower has a full tank of gas each weekend so if he wants to make money he has a easy option right there.

Thanks

Digits
06-20-2004, 07:03 PM
a timmy is a spyder with a solenoid, a LPR, and a pneumatic ram

its probably the simplest, and one of the fastest electros out there because of it

it looks like chaos because of all the wires in the grip, but 4 of thoes go to the break beam eyes, 2 to the trigger switch, 2 to the noid, 2 to the battery, 2 to the switch and then a cable to the LCD screen

i dont even have a timmy anymore, but when i had my timmy for one month, i knew it better than the back of my own hand - i had that thing running at 43 PSI with the evil front end - beat that with your timmy :headbang:

kinda getting off topic.... so ill stop here

lol ya thats what I was talking about.. I seen all of those wires and I was like.. ehh.. I'll just stay away.. I have a tendency to disconnect wires

RtDaNiMaL
06-20-2004, 10:54 PM
hey, i have been working since i was 13 with construction crews, i am 15 now, and working this summer. i bought all of my own stuff, my parents started me off witha vl triton, and i was so thankfull, know i have moved to an rt pro, and to this day i have had to pay for everything along the way, paint and wut not. it has been hard, but i know i have earned it. if he is way into the tourney thing, dont get him an rt, beacuse some of the tourneys dont accept them. well, i hope you do the right thing and make him work hard for the gun. i have worked hard for my gun making 5 dollars an hour. :shooting:

Digits
06-20-2004, 10:59 PM
Blah I havn't worked for any of my stuff I won't lie haha.. I just go deeper and deeper into debt.. Slowly paying it off with the 150 a month I make.. And eventually i will get a job.. But untill that day.. God gave us parents willing to let there children go into debt to see there kids doing something they love so why not support it

SanDiegoMag
06-20-2004, 11:06 PM
if you want him to be cool like the gang AND outshoot them, get him an x-mag.

White_Noise
06-21-2004, 01:33 AM
my 2 cents on this is to do what my parents did for me.....absolutely nothing! the most they have ever bought for my for paintball was a case of paint and a squegee, thats it. in 4.5 years i have owned 6 markers, 5 of which i still own, and have payed for on my own. i started with a piranha like the rest of my friends, and when we decided to upgrade, we either bought cockers or mags(me buying a classic RT, which is still the most reliable marker i still own)

dont buy your kid a timmy, trix, etc just so he can stay with the hype. if he wants to follow hype, let him pay for it.

as for the flatline shooting further than other barrels....thats hype to me. i can prove time and time again that at the same velocity other barrels will be just as consistent and shoot just as accurately as a flatline. and will be easier to clean and not jam on the slightest uneven balls.

edit: just a little bit i forgot: being that your kid is only 12 i think you said, try to steer him towards a mech such as cocker or mag, but again, dont pay for it.

slade
06-21-2004, 10:41 AM
as for the flatline shooting further than other barrels....thats hype to me. i can prove time and time again that at the same velocity other barrels will be just as consistent and shoot just as accurately as a flatline. and will be easier to clean and not jam on the slightest uneven balls.
ugh... i cant beleive you just said that... did you even READ the links that i put up??
http://www.northarc.com/~tinker/flatline.html
http://humane.sourceforge.net/publi...nda_effect.html

true, at the same velocity other barrels will shoot just as consistantly and accurately as the flatline, but they will NOT shoot farther. the flatline shooting farther is true, its not hype, and you cant disprove it. range does not depend solely on velocity, it depends on velocity and spin. have you ever shot a flatline?? it has a much flatter trajectory than any other barrel and will shoot farther, and if you turn it upside down it will shoot right into the ground. this is because of the coanda affect, as explained in the above links. backspin put on the ball will create lift, resulting in a flatter trajectory and greater range.

SteelSoul
06-21-2004, 11:25 AM
Update on my son
We went and played paintball on fathers day and my son had an
He was playing with my Desert Fox and the sear is kinda worn so it doesnt fire all the time so I let him use my mag.
Guys I think he saw the light....
There were guys at the field with Impys. shockers, angels,timmy and ,trix's and my son ending up saying screw the timmy I want a mag....
He said he was going to post about it so lets see if he does.
Oh by the way Keltons uber trix broke and he ended up using a A-5
All in all very good time

Hey Goat if you read this again call me we are going to outlaw friday and my son wants to check you marker out again, think I am going to be looking for a new rt-pro

:)

kungfuhampster11
06-21-2004, 11:45 AM
what i would say to him is this "the reason you want to get e immy is so your gun can keep up with your friends guns right? well the reason your friends are getting all these really fast guns is because they arent very good at paintbal so they compensate for that with gun speed, if you want an elctronic gun thats fine, but you dont need a timmy to prove yourself" have him get an 04 bko/torpedo/barrel/blind bolt and he will be fine, just tell him hes better than his frineds so thats why there getting those guns, so it doesnt look like he will smoke em.

man, id be a good parent

Digits
06-21-2004, 12:53 PM
OMG.. You would buy your kid a BKO??!? Thats almost as bad as physical abuse..

I don't every want to see anyone buying there kid a BKO.. Are you trying to get them out of the sport or something??!??

And with the extra $'s you spend on the torpedo, barrel, and blind bolt, you probablly could just get a B2K4 w/ PDS which is probablly a way better gun (i've only owned/had friends that have owned BKO's so don't quote me)..

A mag though?? My mag is my backup and it sits in my bag never getting used because if it goes down I jack one of my friends guns..

My mag still doesn't shoot though.. Makes me want to cry ... I want to fix it.. Ermm i'm gonna buy some good macroline and fix it :)

kungfuhampster11
06-21-2004, 02:14 PM
whoops, i didnt know there was 3 pages to this thread, anyway, let him get what he wants

why are bko's so bad? most of the people i talk to say theyre great guns

RiddalinJunkie08
06-21-2004, 02:34 PM
I've seen kids with tippmanns beat out guys with alias's because the kids with alias's could shoot fast, and that was it, the tippmann guys snuck around the field and backdoored half ot them :D
wait, who had which gun here?
-Mark

Apollo
06-21-2004, 03:29 PM
i was playing wit the desert and it was a great gun still has alot of problems like breakin paint alot and the usual stuff. But i played wit my dads gun dude and i never shoot alot of paint so i only bring one pod! on the field wit me cause i shoot smart well i never thought it would be a problem. But! By the time i got somone out, and layin waste to some guys on the back of their startin point back so i could put their heads down long enuf to move up. i had to borrow another pod while the game was goin on lmao.i slowed down like suual but i loved it man it rocked i rem goatboys gun and dude it was sweet-o silent fast response nice gun didnt break on him all day and i love how my dads didnt break once that day thats like a new record. because contrary to what some peeps might think about my dad, hes not realy good wit his level 10 every thing else hes god but put a leel 10 in his hands and you'd think hes never picked a paintball gun up. :cheers:

barrel break
06-21-2004, 04:02 PM
First of all, No offense meant, but teach your son to spell and use proper grammer.

Now as to the gun, I am 15, been into paintball three years, and am on my second gun, a 2003 vert feed cocker. I started out with a 98 with some upgrades.
That 98 was bought entirely through my hard work that summer, my parents told me if I could afford it, I could buy it. I suddenly Felt the need for a new gun about 6 months ago, So I sold my 98 locally (got a damn good price for it too!) and settled on the cocker, I had the money to buy it from (working/birthday money from grandparents) So my dad reluctantly allowed me to buy it. On and off I try to buy a new gun, but my dad has made me a deal, I will not buy a new gun until after Paintball camp (Grandparents, my parents never would have) and I will work for the money to pay for it.

under no circumstances buy your kid a new gun. If he has to work for it, it will mean so much more, and he will be MUCH more careful in selecting which one... :cry:

Thermus
06-21-2004, 04:40 PM
On a more serious note than my first post of the thread, you should refrain from buying your son anything he doesn't need, except on special occasions. Let him sell his current gun, and find a job babysitting, mowing lawns, chores around the house, whatever he wants to do, and work it from there. Let him buy whatever he wants when he's done working for himself. Chances are he will settle for a cheaper gun when he has to work for it. It will teach him a lesson about money as well. Spending an extra 500 dollars on something you really don't need is a big deal. Let him learn that through experience.

slade
06-21-2004, 04:57 PM
First of all, No offense meant, but teach your son to spell and use proper grammer.
i second that motion :D

GoatBoy
06-21-2004, 06:56 PM

You misspelled 'grammar'. Don't make GoatBoy bust out the red pen.

Here's my take on the whole 'work for it' thing. What is the long term value of performing menial labor at probably minimum pay for overpriced equipment? While we are certainly regaled by everyone's tales of hard work and sweat at a young age, is it really a smart thing to do to your kids? Learning the value of a buck and hard work only goes so far. Working hard is one thing, working smart is another. Unless you plan on continuing a lifelong campaign of menial work, perhaps you should look a little further down the line.

I'm not saying that parents should flat out buy the stuff for their kids... But they can exact a toll which has more meaning and value than sending the kids off to the mines, especially if the parents have the money. That's what parents are for.

Steelsoul: It's funny you should mention the desert fox; we had another thread about it a long time ago, and one of the things I pointed out was in fact the sear/trigger. Where did you guys go on Sunday? I was at Outlaw, but I was there like, 1:30ish.

Apollo: Eh, my gun's not THAT quiet; it's a little quieter than, say, your dad's mag because of the barrel and the ULE body. I'll see if I can make it out on Friday...

I definitely need a new can of bugspray for night ball. And some new lenses; I took like 4 goggle hits on Sunday :mad:

Dufus
06-21-2004, 07:40 PM
;)

chronic?

:)

SteelSoul
06-22-2004, 10:22 AM
Thanks goat
We went to TXPB for the morning and had a good time as you can tell
I got the FOx from a guy here for a good price and I am working with the sear, it has seen some heavy use and I am going to try and grind the sear sharp again, it is rounded so it double fires sometimes and then will just not even shoot sometimes. I got a rebulid kit from ICD and replaced all spring and O-Rings
I will see how things work out on that

Thanks for everyone posting on this. I hope my son see's that it isnt about Hype but about what you want. He has a new drive to earn money and save, and as an extra bonus I will match him dollar for dollar for his gear.

Thanks again peeps

SS

Digits
06-22-2004, 12:32 PM
You misspelled 'grammar'. Don't make GoatBoy bust out the red pen.

Here's my take on the whole 'work for it' thing. What is the long term value of performing menial labor at probably minimum pay for overpriced equipment? While we are certainly regaled by everyone's tales of hard work and sweat at a young age, is it really a smart thing to do to your kids? Learning the value of a buck and hard work only goes so far. Working hard is one thing, working smart is another. Unless you plan on continuing a lifelong campaign of menial work, perhaps you should look a little further down the line.

I'm not saying that parents should flat out buy the stuff for their kids... But they can exact a toll which has more meaning and value than sending the kids off to the mines, especially if the parents have the money. That's what parents are for.

Steelsoul: It's funny you should mention the desert fox; we had another thread about it a long time ago, and one of the things I pointed out was in fact the sear/trigger. Where did you guys go on Sunday? I was at Outlaw, but I was there like, 1:30ish.

Apollo: Eh, my gun's not THAT quiet; it's a little quieter than, say, your dad's mag because of the barrel and the ULE body. I'll see if I can make it out on Friday...

I definitely need a new can of bugspray for night ball. And some new lenses; I took like 4 goggle hits on Sunday :mad:

word to that.. He's a kid.. Let him have fun while he's young.. We all know that it aint as easy when you grow up so why not make it easy for him for a few years..

And the matching money thing is good.. My parents were going to do that with a car for me and my brother.. But it kind of fell off after awhile lol

sharpshooter1286
06-22-2004, 12:45 PM
I started out when I was 9, got a regular model 98 when I was 10, then when i was 13 and had enough money I got a 98 custom with reactive trigger, flatline, double trigger, military stock, dye sticky grips, lapco foregrip, drop forward and sight and stuff. that gun was sweet. then i traded it for a mag, which i played with for about a year, and then i recently sold it, so right now im gun-less. I don't have alot of money to spend on a new gun, and I don't feel like working crappy jobs to get it.

jknospe
06-26-2004, 03:11 PM
Once your son finds a reliable marker that doesn't break down, he'll enjoy the game more. And the marker issue won't be the focus.

The first time my son (age 12) and I went paintballing, we had a ball! We had rented a Tippmann 98 for him and borrowed one of my buddy's Tippmann 98 for myself. After the game he was picked out by some sponsors at the game and gave him a brand new Spyder Xtra. It’s a very reliable marker. And over the last couple of years, its been upgraded and tuned perfectly.

Since he won his, I had to get one too :D So I did the research and purchased a used Tippmann 98 Custom. I found it very reliable and had a lot of room for improvement. I sanded and polished internals milled the shell to mate better, new bolt, expansion chamber, flatline, etc. I have just as much fun tinkering with the markers than I do playing. I've since sold it, because I didn't like the setup of the breach and elbow. It kept giving me problems (falling open at times). But I ran across some good deals on eBay fixer uppers (see sig). Over time, I've reconditioned and upgraded them. They all work great and so far not a problem. I've offered my son his pick, but he still goes back to his Spyder. He say's "Its just more comfortable".

We live in yuppie-ville. So my son and I see both ends of the spectrum. But we have noticed that most of the kids his age with the high-end markers are newbies trying to keep up with the Jones' and act like they know what they're talking about. Reality is, once they get on the field... they're just newbies.

Torbo
06-26-2004, 04:45 PM
tell him to get a job, and untill he does and pays for all of his paintball expenses, he can shut the hell up.

divballer
06-26-2004, 05:45 PM
wait wait. So he already has gotten a matrix and a DM4??? Now he wants a timmy? Please told me he had to get rid of the trix before he got the DM4. Some people are waay to spoiled.

dwab3000
06-26-2004, 07:03 PM
Angel lcd...throw on a space frame...and a new barrel...give it to him...and a list of upgrades he can buy