PDA

View Full Version : Don't we all hate those traffic light cameras?

Hasty8
06-18-2004, 02:23 PM
So your rolling along down the street and the intersection ahead turns yellow. Naturally you stomp on the gas and make a mad dash for the other side of the intersection. Sometimes you make it with seconds to spare and sometimes not.

And if there happens to be a traffic camera there you are fubar my friend!

Well no longer! Now you are free to violate those pesky traffic laws with impunity with the Phantom Plate! (http://www.phantomplate.com/#)

Freaking idiots, I tell you that.

RevBrown
06-18-2004, 02:55 PM
Actually I don't think MT has any of those.

That's a lil to new fangled fer us.

So you just keep your big city talk and yer flashy "license plates"

Hasty8
06-18-2004, 03:22 PM
:spit_take :rofl: :dance:

Blazestorm
06-18-2004, 03:29 PM
Thing is cameras don't give off flashes.

:D

Just a gimmick, I had this great idea... lets follow the rules WTF?

MrMag
06-18-2004, 03:30 PM
I would highly doubt that those work, and if they did the government would quickly equip every one of their cameras with polarizer lenses which cut through glare.

Paintball_4_Fun
06-18-2004, 03:36 PM
Thing is cameras don't give off flashes.

:D

Just a gimmick, I had this great idea... lets follow the rules WTF?

they do at night..

WickeDKlowN
06-18-2004, 03:37 PM
I remember seeing some spray that makes it so you can't read it from an angle, only from dead on.

Hasty8
06-18-2004, 03:53 PM
You guys need to re-read the site. This has been tested by various law departments around the world and news reporting agencies and the thing works like gangbuster.

Of course cameras give off flashes, especially at night. he ones around here in Manhattan flash regardless of light condition. And polarizing lenses will not work against these as far as I can tell.

SlartyBartFast
06-18-2004, 04:00 PM
And in many jurisdictions it's illegal to obscure any part of the licence plate or install covers or other accesssories over the plate. I'm sure any spray is also part of those laws.

How about learning to drive and obey the signals? :mad:

It's about time they paid a few police cadets to go out and enforce some of the rules against car modifications. :rolleyes:

That, or replace traffic cameras with laser guided missile systems. :wow:

PyRo
06-18-2004, 04:25 PM
Car modification laws should only apply to imports and people who do dumb things to there cars :)
Camera's suck, they are starting to use speed camera's (not around here yet). Its only a matter of time before we all start getting 1mph tickets because its easy for them to drop a ticket in the mail. And only a matter of time after that that your credit card is automatically billed every time you don't come to a complete stop, go over the line a bit, go 1mph over the limit, etc.

Army
06-18-2004, 04:32 PM
99% of those cameras...aren't cameras at all, but sensors to make the light change when it "sees" traffic. They are cheaper, and more easily maintained, than the in-ground magnetic loop that has been in use for decades.

You 1% areas just need to follow traffic laws a little better:)

06-18-2004, 04:33 PM
I heard on the news awhile ago that the camera tickets are unconstuitional and you can get it taken away if you go to court.

Jack_Dubious
06-18-2004, 04:39 PM
I have a better idea...just drive through the intersection at a speed faster than light, and you will out run the flash. Only problem is with the energy required for this feat and todays gas prices...it may be too cost prohibitive. Damn Saudis! :cuss:

JDub

Chris42050
06-18-2004, 04:40 PM
Most of the time the camera doesnt get a good picture of the driver. If you fight it in court. All you have to say is I wasnt driving my car that day and I dont remember who I lent it too. No more ticket.

Hasty8
06-18-2004, 04:44 PM
99% of those cameras...aren't cameras at all, but sensors to make the light change when it "sees" traffic. They are cheaper, and more easily maintained, than the in-ground magnetic loop that has been in use for decades.

You 1% areas just need to follow traffic laws a little better:)

Not sure where you are from bro but around here you can easily tell the what are cameras. Huge green boxes. True, they may very well incorporate a "traffic sensor" but around my house the majority of lights are timed.

Most of the time the camera doesnt get a good picture of the driver. If you fight it in court. All you have to say is I wasnt driving my car that day and I dont remember who I lent it too. No more ticket.

In New York State they don't need the driver at all. In fact, all the cameras are set up to take picutes of the rear of the vehicle. In NY, when you loan your car to someone you are still responsible for their conduct. All they need is one pickture of you before you enter the intersection and one after. If the light was red before you entered the intersection you're cooked. No way around it.

However, NYS law also states that if so much as one character on theplate is blurred past the point of viewing the ticket goes away.

I heard on the news awhile ago that the camera tickets are unconstuitional and you can get it taken away if you go to court.

Not sure where you heard this but I can't see how they would be "unconstitutional". It's not like it's an invasion of your privacy. You are out in public.

And in many jurisdictions it's illegal to obscure any part of the licence plate or install covers or other accesssories over the plate. I'm sure any spray is also part of those laws.

How about learning to drive and obey the signals? :mad:

It's about time they paid a few police cadets to go out and enforce some of the rules against car modifications. :rolleyes:

That, or replace traffic cameras with laser guided missile systems. :wow:

It's a clear case which is allowed, in my state at least and according to the site there are currently no laws preventing the spray application or the case in the states tested as niether actually alter the plate itself but instead the light being reflected off that plate.

Just to clear things up, I'm against this too as tis may now encourage people to speed through lights thereby increasing the chances of a collision. I would love to get hit by a car with this crap on the plate. Start a nice juicy frivilous lawsuit against them. :headbang:

SlartyBartFast
06-21-2004, 10:30 AM
I had an even better idea.

Replace all stop lines with those nasty spikes that tear your tires up if drice over them. Have them controled to raise when the light is red.

Bet people would start stopping on Yellows! :ninja:

Hasty8
06-21-2004, 12:20 PM
I had an even better idea.

Replace all stop lines with those nasty spikes that tear your tires up if drice over them. Have them controled to raise when the light is red.

Bet people would start stopping on Yellows! :ninja:

I say go one better.

Put a GE Mini (http://world.guns.ru/machine/minigun-e.htm) on top of the camera stalk with anice rotating turret. Any one speeds through, they die.

On a side note, at the bottom of the page I linked to there is an interesting disection of the minigun used by Gov. Ventura in Predator.

fire1811
06-21-2004, 04:12 PM
actually if your in a city or a suburb most likly what you are seeing up there is called a
Opticon system. it is for emergency vehicals(fire,ems,PD)

all the emergency vehicals have a sensor that is activated when there lights are on and it will usually either make all the lights at that intersection red or make the direction they are traveling green. there great.

OfficerGoat
06-21-2004, 05:16 PM
I could only wish there were redlight cams here in vegas. I am starting to think that folks here cant see red at all. It will literaly be red for 10-30 seconds before trafic actualy stops! :O

Chris42050
06-21-2004, 05:49 PM
Sounds kinda like my trip to new york. I was a young kid at the time so I dont know if my mind has exagerated my memory. When the lights would turn red instead of stopping, the Taxi cabs would just honk their horn and go right thru the red lights. Green light means go, red light means go and honk. Anyone from New York had this experience or should I have left my crack pipe at home that trip.