PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Choose My Back Up Gun

SlipknotX556
06-18-2004, 08:24 PM
Well after today, when I went to shoot my timmy, I discovered that the micro switch was broken, so was the battery plug, everything else on my 14 point wiriing harness, so I had to order a new one. Now I was going to play all this weekend but now I cant, because I have no gun. So because of this, I have always wanted a back up gun :) I am going to get a back up gun. I was looking at a couple of guns, but I just want your input on them...

Viking, it will have WAS, Eyes

Speed, Wont have eyes and WAS for a couple of months

Matrix, with Eyes

Angel A4

Maybe even a ULE X Valved Mag, if I feel like it.

So please give me your opinions.

Thanks

XbeasleyX
06-18-2004, 08:28 PM
You have way too much money lying around if an A4 could be your back-up, perhaps you could donate some to some one currently using a Spyder as a primary. :ninja: :(

jesseyo13
06-18-2004, 08:29 PM
a4, I love the way you can adjust the trigger right on the top of the grip frame!

Blazestorm
06-18-2004, 08:30 PM
ULE X-valved...

I'm working on mine right now, should be done by mid-july

Dallara... Rogue Vert Frame... 15* ASA w/ Gutted Dye Hyper-2 Reg... Kaner Barrel... Dye mini-drop + asa... mmmmmm

Digits
06-18-2004, 08:47 PM
Matrix, with Eyes

.. But you might decide to take it over your timmy :clap:

SlipknotX556
06-18-2004, 08:48 PM
Matrix, with Eyes

The way my timmy has been acting, my back up may become my primary gun.

wonk
06-18-2004, 09:02 PM
get the mag

eric
06-18-2004, 09:09 PM
2k4 Viking, blows em all out of the water.

If youre playin seriously dont go with a mechanical backup gun.

wonk
06-18-2004, 09:17 PM
2k4 Viking, blows em all out of the water.

If youre playin seriously dont go with a mechanical backup gun.

y not??...a mech is more reliable and isnt that what you want mostly in a back up gun?

RRfireblade
06-18-2004, 09:47 PM
For a true 'backup' I would get another Timmy. Regardless of the fault,between the 2 you will almost always have a working gun and spares for trouble shooting,testing,etc.

Unless what you really want is just another play toy. :) Then get something you never had before.

06-18-2004, 09:54 PM
Matrix, with Eyes

I know I did. I think timmies have a life expectancy because my gun is acting up too and I think both of us got our guns at almost the same time. I got a NYX for a backup.

personman
06-18-2004, 09:55 PM
Get the mag. You dont even really need something that good if all you want is a backup. I would get like a BKO and throw a few upgrades on it. It will save you money. Its not like you're going to be playing with the gun ALL the time.

SlipknotX556
06-18-2004, 10:14 PM
For a true 'backup' I would get another Timmy. Regardless of the fault,between the 2 you will almost always have a working gun and spares for trouble shooting,testing,etc.

I would get another timmy, but I just feel like having something different. I am most leaning towards the viking, but I still am looking into the matrix.

barberjohn
06-18-2004, 10:31 PM
viking, definately. just make sure that the eyes and board were properly installed and the gun will never fail you. vikings are possibly the most reliable electropneumatics made, period.

SlipknotX556
06-18-2004, 10:42 PM
If I was to get the viking the eyes and board come installed already, from the dealer.

magman007
06-18-2004, 11:00 PM
slippy, have i ever steared you wrong? NO! lol Get the trix, i assure you you will not regret it. Vikings are nice and all, but man, who likes being kicked by a horse? not I. Thats why i would reccomend the matrix. Smoothe as all get out in opperation, wont chop, and the eyes will secure that fact, eventough your chances of doing it with a trix are limited any ways.

They are easy to take care of. they are faster and easier to rip on than a viking or a timmy in my opinion. Dye has great support, and if you have a problem, im sure that you can get it taken care of over on PBN or at Matrixowner.com

The next contender would be a speed. you can pick them up new now for mad cheep, and even better used. same platform as the a4 and the fly, just much more simpler. Eyes are not necessary, but Sensi may be tempramental, so it may be something to look into. I got rid of mine for the sheer fact that i didnt like the spaceframe as much as i thought i did, and i found the opto switch annoying to try and rip on.

Currently im shooting a DM4, after owning a sfl, toxic trix, and a speed. this says something that i came back to the matrix platform, after jumping around, and having enough $$$ to buy any marker that i wanted. Trust me man!

TeamNausea
06-18-2004, 11:15 PM
If you get one of those it might become your primary

DiSoRdeR
06-18-2004, 11:55 PM
I know its not one of your choices, but may I suggest a Phantom :D

ilikePB
06-19-2004, 12:01 AM
New suggestion....DevilMag.

SlipknotX556
06-19-2004, 11:26 AM
slippy, have i ever steared you wrong? NO! lol Get the trix, i assure you you will not regret it. Vikings are nice and all, but man, who likes being kicked by a horse? not I. Thats why i would reccomend the matrix. Smoothe as all get out in opperation, wont chop, and the eyes will secure that fact, eventough your chances of doing it with a trix are limited any ways.

They are easy to take care of. they are faster and easier to rip on than a viking or a timmy in my opinion. Dye has great support, and if you have a problem, im sure that you can get it taken care of over on PBN or at Matrixowner.com

The next contender would be a speed. you can pick them up new now for mad cheep, and even better used. same platform as the a4 and the fly, just much more simpler. Eyes are not necessary, but Sensi may be tempramental, so it may be something to look into. I got rid of mine for the sheer fact that i didnt like the spaceframe as much as i thought i did, and i found the opto switch annoying to try and rip on.

Currently im shooting a DM4, after owning a sfl, toxic trix, and a speed. this says something that i came back to the matrix platform, after jumping around, and having enough $$$ to buy any marker that i wanted. Trust me man!

Its now between a DM4 or eyed WAS matrix or the viking.
I guess I will have to shoot each one, before I really choose, they are all alot of money.

How is your DM4 doing? Chops, light, easy to maintain? I havent really done alot of research on the DM4's, so I dont know alot.

Thanks

Digits
06-19-2004, 12:04 PM
my brothers getting a Viking in a couple of days (should be here then, crappy mail).. I will tell you how it shoots..

Personally though, I would take the DM4, or the eyed was'd matrix..

DM4 might not be as fast to you when you first start it, but once you learn the trigger it should rip.. But the other trix would just straight rip the first time you used it...

It depends though, if the fields in your area are strict about bounce, I would steer clear of WAS.. Unless it's just super bouncy in my brothers imp.

magman007
06-19-2004, 12:23 PM
well, if you are looking for a true back up, it really shouldnt cost more than your primary. But if i can convert you to the matrix fold, then hell, go for the dm4 :)

really, i love it. barely ever chops, easy as hell to maintain, its light, and sexy. BUT all it really is is a pretty matrix. they both perform baisically the same.

now, for a rockin trix setup, i would reccomend the following. Dye matrix. since it already comes with eyes. Tadao 4.0 board. Evolve if you can find one, but it isnt really necesary if it will be your backup. C4 mod if you dont go evolve. Some low or no rise clsmping feedneck of course, and you are set. everyone claims the dye lpr is a POS, but if you were to buy new, then it will come with a new style lpr, which is smaller, and runs just like the AKA scm, which you set it and forget it.

Any trix you get will be rocking. And the dm4 is even easier to rip on in my opinion. Also, if you buy a regular matrix, i would look into getting a pair of dm4 stickies for it, just for more comfort.

also, what ever matrix you get, i reccomend going to your local bike shop, and asking for some Buzzy's Slick honey. Lube up the Inline, the LPR and your bolt with this stuff. it is so slick, you can run your lpr mad low. I run my dm4 3 and a half turns out, when the normal reccomended amount of turns out is 5.

If you have any more questions, grab me on aim or any of my other messenger services. Aim is magman00786

SlipknotX556
06-19-2004, 01:21 PM
What is the weight of the DM4, the regular dye matrix?

Skoad
06-19-2004, 01:43 PM
Dm4 - 2 lbs 11 ounces with barrel and reg.

Dye Trix - 2 lbs 12 ounces without barrel or reg

If you got the money and want to spend it, get a dm4. If you don't want to spend quite as much a dye trix with a new bolt would be just fine :) You'll probably use either as your primary after trying them :) (I have a DM4)

If you look around you can get a dm4 less than 1200 bucks sometimes.

SlipknotX556
06-19-2004, 04:09 PM
Hmm, I am now really tempted, to get the DM4 or the Dye Trix.

I just read up on both. :)

Skoad
06-19-2004, 05:43 PM
odds are someone at your field may have a dm4, or maybe a toxic trix (depending on where you play) as I haven't seen many dye lcds or gen-e's around.

Ask them if you can give it a try.

SlipknotX556
06-19-2004, 09:04 PM
The DM4, I can get my hands on from my shop, I can shoot any gun they have.

I really now want a DM4, but I only have a grand, just gotta get a couple hundred more. I dont want to get one used, because I bought my timmy used, it was nothing but a money pit, I had to replace every internal part basically, because everything was being held on with glue or tape.

barrel break
06-19-2004, 09:10 PM
well, I would say as a backup, either a viking, or a DM4, a guy from (Owner?) of shortbuspaintball.com let me play a game with his was'd w/eyes A4, and I was unimpressed, shot flawlessly, but vert frames aint for me..

on the other hand, shot a DM4, heaven in a gun...

TheDoveDecends
06-19-2004, 09:12 PM
Matrix..

Skoad
06-19-2004, 09:54 PM
well slipknot hope this will hold you over until you get the $$$
http://cyberbuzz.gatech.edu/paintball/videos/videopage.html

SlipknotX556
06-20-2004, 09:14 AM
Well, I have a total of 2,000 but I can only use 1,000 of it, the other grand goes to some car payments. I guess I am gonna have to find some odd jobs to do around the house, but I can always just sell my brothers rt mag, never tell him about it. :) :dance:

SlipknotX556
06-20-2004, 09:23 AM
well slipknot hope this will hold you over until you get the $$$
http://cyberbuzz.gatech.edu/paintball/videos/videopage.html

Awesome videos, thanks for giving me the link. I really like the third one, about 1:30 in, when that guy slides in and just starts ripping. My timmy never did that, it always took awhile to do.

DM4, performs like that out of box?