PDA

View Full Version : Good beginner Motorcycle?

mcveighr
06-18-2004, 10:00 PM
Hey,
I was wondering if some of you could give your opinions on a good beginner motorcycle. I have never owned a bike before but have started saving and intend to purchase it next april. Now originally I was thinking about getting a BMW F650 Scarver, because it's excellent on fuel and has a good engine and is good emissions wise but Its also slightly over $11,000 and I'm not exactly rich. So lately I've been looking at a Honda 600cc Shadow for about 7,500$, Kawasaki Vulcan 500cc for 6,700$, or a Kawasaki 500cc Ninja for 6,800$. I'm kind of leaning towards a cruising bike as opposed to a crotch rocket for the comfort aspect. I was wondering if you could tell me about these bikes if you have any experience with them. I was wondering if you could tell me the advantages of a honda and why they're so much more than the kawasakis and if you have any other suggestions for bikes. I'm not really looking at less than 500cc because I think I'd get sick of it and want something bigger after a month or two.

dj89
06-18-2004, 10:18 PM
umm a xr50 is a good starter bike

mcveighr
06-18-2004, 10:33 PM
If you're going to be a moron how about you don't do it in my thread?

dj89
06-18-2004, 11:10 PM
thats my opinion.

cphilip
06-19-2004, 11:21 AM
In my opinion the best beginner cruiser is the Yamaha Virago 250...

Very well outfitted. Tops speed around 85 MPH. V Twin. Nice light but long frame. Excellent control positions. Of all the starter cruisers its probably the best one. About 3 grand.

Do some reading here: http://www.beginnerbikes.com/

However if you insist on starting bigger then look at a Suzuki Savage LS650. Its 150 pounds lighter than anyone elses 650cc and has belt drive. Excellent bike. I ride one. Love it. New ones are 4500...

CasingBill
06-19-2004, 11:25 AM
The only problem with the virago is they are for short people. I don't know how tall you are but for me ..... I can't ride a virago. If you are looking for a cruiser, virtually any will work for you up to about a 650. Good gas mileage, cheap insurance, excellent starter bikes.

cphilip
06-19-2004, 01:03 PM
The only problem with the virago is they are for short people. I don't know how tall you are but for me ..... I can't ride a virago. If you are looking for a cruiser, virtually any will work for you up to about a 650. Good gas mileage, cheap insurance, excellent starter bikes.

They good up till about 6 foot tall. People like 6' 2" and above start complaining. Then you can or need forward controls and peg placement adjustments. Same with any Cruiser in the sub 800 cc range though.

Take a look at ANY cruizer up to 650 cc and you will find the same range of seat hight. around 27 inches or so. Same as the Virago. Get an older one and you will find them around 30 inches. Better for tall people. But lately all Cruisers out there are 27 inches and tall people are having to adjust them. Most people over 6 foot tall are starting to not find a stock bike to feel comfortable with unless they put forward controls on them. And most do.

Same with a lot of cruisers though. They can be made to go tall people. And then still are good starter bikes. But your going to have the same issue with any of the main Starter bikes. The Hondal Rebel, Suzuki CZ or the Ninja 250 all are going to need some peg adjustments. And of them all the V twin Virago is going to be the most power and "Keepability" The Ninja 250 doesn't meet his needs because of the sport bike stance. But it is formidable. It will rev up higher.

Anything starter and cruizer is going to need some adjustment for tall people outside of the Harley Sportster Custom. Its already forward pegged for a tall person. The standard is not. But those are NOT cheap. And I would not consider them starter bikes.

punkncat
06-19-2004, 01:31 PM
Go buy a disposable bike for your first one. Get something near the size you will be considering , but used and old. Make sure it is mechanically sound just don't spend a lot.
I suggest old Honda CB, Suzuki GS , Yamaha Specials , or Kawi KZ. They are the best of the old standards. Learn how to ride on one of them , and then step up and get a newer , nicer bike based on what you did and didn't like about the starter machine. Not to mention that its almost inevitable that you will drop your first bike....

Jack_Dubious
06-19-2004, 02:04 PM
this looks like a good one...
http://www.deanskuza.com/photos/mxdonnie/mxdonnie4.jpg

:D
JDub

dj89
06-19-2004, 08:01 PM
thats a xr 50 lol

skife
06-19-2004, 09:46 PM
umm a xr50 is a good starter bike

it was my starter bike, it was the bike i learned to shift with, it had an auto clutch so i didn't need to learn to clutch it

then i moved up to a kx 60 wich was the first bike i owned that had a clutch, the memory's i have breaking clutch and front break levers with it while riding in sand. this bike was all stock except for the silencer on the pipe and the clutch and brake levers
then to a yz 80, this bike was my first bike for me to break lots of stuff with, i beat the crap out of it, i bent the bars, threw a clutch and some other fun stuff.
then a yz 125, this bike was just wicked, dont know what it had done to it when i got it but it would pull the front tire off the ground with less than 1/2 inch nobbies left on the tire with a 120lb kid on it. somone put an aftermarket pipe on it and it ran like crap until i broke the pipe, fell in some sand, and put the stock back on.

then sold the 125 and cried that day for i knew it was the end of my motocrossing.

sorry for hijacking the post, i was walking down the street today and was watching some kids ride around the house and smelled one bike was burning raceing fuel, i miss it alot.

if i ever get a job and some cash saved up i'm going to try to buy my ex girlfriend's dad's '85 rz 350 the last year they made a 2 stroke bike for road use

dj89
06-19-2004, 10:02 PM
I had a xr50 from 1987 or some thing like that for my first bike[still have it lol] than a xr 75 an old one to, xr100r, trx 90 Honda, 300ex Honda umm Honda have served me well :clap: I quite racing last year for paint ball. I miss it to I think I’ll got to at least one race this year.

skife
06-19-2004, 10:04 PM
I had a xr50 from 1987 or some thing like that for my first bike[still have it lol] than a xr 75 an old one to, xr100r, trx 90 Honda, 300ex Honda umm Honda have served me well :clap: I quite racing last year for paint ball. I miss it to I think I’ll got to at least one race this year.

i really miss being able to race motor veichles
every once in awhile i'll go to a friend's house that has a quad or a bike or snomobile or somthing and i'll teach them to ride it the right way.

i had to teach my ex ex ex girlfriend's little brother how to downshift, pathetic isn't it

bofh
06-20-2004, 09:21 PM
Bah, go get yourself one of these.

http://www.stnelson.com/truck/img_0403.jpg

Seriously, cphilip has the right track. my only advice would be to get something used. You'll most likely drop it, (it's a hazard of begining) and you'll feel tons better afterward that you didn't do it to a new bike. Then, when you outgrow it, or feel ready for a non-begining, pick up a new one then