PDA

View Full Version : The Air source of the future?(does NOT have to do with tooslow's post)

InfinatyBPS
10-13-2001, 06:02 PM
I had an idea. Would helium work for an air source? Would it make your tank lighter? Will your gun float away if you trip and drop it? When you shoot will it create, kick? Would it work in a Nitro Tank?

InfinatyBPS
10-13-2001, 06:09 PM
i didnt see he already talked about helium. :rolleyes:

Tunaman
10-13-2001, 06:45 PM
Remember the Hindenburg?

steveg
10-13-2001, 06:50 PM
hydrogen appropriate signature by the way

Bigzamboni
10-13-2001, 06:59 PM
Helium is a noble gas... Non-flammable and doesn't react.

mrhooie
10-13-2001, 07:01 PM
What's wrong with clean compressed air or N2?

InfinatyBPS
10-13-2001, 08:15 PM
anyone going to comment on this?

AkaEnder
10-13-2001, 08:19 PM
Remember the Hindenburg?

The hindenburg was Hydrogen ;)

the123
10-14-2001, 01:28 AM
helium will work. I am pretty sure that almost ANY gas will work as long as the pressure is within the normal operating range. however, i remember a thread about this a few months ago...
What it came to is helium is not cost effective for the amount of gas we consume with our Mags.

Vegeta
10-14-2001, 10:27 AM
I think it would work too as long as the operating pressure is at normal range. Someone brought up a comment about leaks too. The helium atom is much smaller than the co2 molecule, and a bit smaller than the N2 moulecule. (co2 = carbon (6 protons, 6 nuetrons) + oxygen (8 protons, 8 nuetrons) + oxygen (8 protons, 8 nuetrons) = rather heavy moulecule. helium on the other han has only 2 protons, and 2 nuetrons.. (with 2 electrons, but htey are so small they barely count towards the atomic mass) so there was rumor that the helium would seep out of connections more easily than N2 or CO2 (N2 = 2 nitrogen atoms (nitrogen atom = 7 protons, 7 nuetrons)). now hydrogen is THE smallest atom having only 1 proton and 1 electron. It is also the most reactive element, becuase of it having only 1 proton and 1 electron (no nuetron). This would definately NOT be a choice, not in this day of age and not in hte future. It not only owuld eb a fire hazard, but it has a tendency not only to seep through things.. it has a tendency to combine with things. This means the metal in your tank, the strrl braided hoses, the valve.. etc. uit wouldn't hurt it much, but after prolonged exposure to sitting hydrogen.. the metal would be hydrogized (assuming thats a word) like metal is oxidized and rusts. This, assuming my chemistry is correct, would make a sort of hydrogen rust, or your would find wierd looking purple-greenish spots on the metal if you were to cut open you tank orslice open your hoses. (assuming you wouldn't) Also, if you use rubber microline there would be major problems, for the hydrogen would most definatly perspire through the medium-hard rubber.

Anyways.. thats my two cents on helium and hydrogen. The hydrogization is a theory of mine, but I am certain soemthing like it would happen in spots where the gas sits for a while. whoo! my fingers hurt.

Vegeta
10-14-2001, 10:29 AM
Now that I think about it, helium would work as long as the seals are very good and tight. And it would leak throuhg anything very fast, so not alot of worries there. The cost though... that is what would kill you. (I guess you could goto hardees and act liek you wanna get baloons filled up but get you tank filled instead... lol- boostin' gas)

PAINTBALLA01
10-14-2001, 01:00 PM
LOL anti-gravity balls

azzkikr
10-14-2001, 02:29 PM
you do not want to put helium thru your gun. I heard tht is was too unstable, there was a guy down in ATL that tried it with his angel and the gas changed preasure after the lpr and it f'ed up his 14 way valve. and in case you didn't know the 14 way is a 400+ dollar plus part. I just wouldn't recomend it, plus nitro or compressed air works much too well to mess arround with something else. I can understand if there was something to gain from a diferent gas but there isn't. so if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Later AZZKIKR

Bigzamboni
10-14-2001, 04:34 PM
Unstable as in how? Helium is a Noble Gas and is inert and doesn't react. As for unstable at high pressures, I don't know how that affects noble gasses.

Vegeta
10-16-2001, 03:15 PM
Helium is a inert (noble) gas... it is one of (if not the) most stable gasses. I think you got mislead by this guy getting his valve messed up by it. Most likely what happened is that the dumb idiot got a helium tank... not certified for paitnball... hooked it up to his gun.. and it turned out the tanks regulator was way above the normal operating pressure of his gun. effect = serious damage to internals. And anyone with a $400 valve would be a experienced player enough not to know to do this.

Bogus Story man

Prezents
10-16-2001, 04:36 PM
I work at a auto parts store and the cost of a helium "K" bottle is $73.00 the cost of an N2 "K" bottle is $36.00.
The cost alone is enough to tell you which one to use.
Prezentshttp://www.mauisun.org/ubb/smilies/cwm28.gif