PDA

View Full Version : Dye Pump?

PaintSkater00
06-22-2004, 11:05 AM
http://www.xpaintball.com/dyecartercomp.html

Maybe it is just me but I have never seen this gun before in my life......

Anyone know about it or even own one?

FSU_Paintball
06-22-2004, 11:08 AM
they're very nice. Kind of like the ferrari of pumps. Most people refer to them as carters, though.

Burphel
06-22-2004, 11:11 AM
It is just you. Earon Carter's been making custom pumps since shortly after the Nelspot came out. He's been working under the DYE brand for about 5 years or so. Pretty nice pumps, completely custom built in-house, although there's much debate that they perform any better than Phantoms and other less expensive, less fancy pumps.

shartley
06-22-2004, 11:16 AM
Yes, they are VERY nice markers. I have one in my shop at this very moment that looks almost exactly like the one they show on that link. The one I have here is a Buzzard… but same color blue and everything. It is sweet to say the least.

Fred
06-22-2004, 12:45 PM
the older ones are nicer...

the new ones have such tight tolerances that they tear themselves apart if you actually use em on the field... the pump rods really scratch (even gouge) the mount for the vertical adapter...

the old slider trigger frame was also way more comfortable IMO than the DYE swing.

still nice, but not like the old ones...

for the price you could get a Phantom package, and see no difference in performance.

---Fred

Thermus
06-22-2004, 12:56 PM
You may not notice any performace differences, but its like paying for the prettiness of it. They are so freakin hot. I wouldn't ever dump 300 bucks for looks though, Phantoms are perfect for me.

slade
06-22-2004, 02:48 PM
what ive heard is that carters and buzzards are slightly better than phantoms, but its not worth it for the price.

shartley
06-22-2004, 02:53 PM
what ive heard is that carters and buzzards are slightly better than phantoms, but its not worth it for the price.
Not worth it for the price? What is “worth”? Isn’t that subjective?

My point is that “worth” is determined by the buyer. Evidently they ARE worth the price since people buy them. ;) It is easy for anyone to point out half a dozen products on the market that they feel is not worth the price people pay for them, but if the market supports the price, that is what determines actual worth.

slade
06-22-2004, 05:34 PM
Not worth it for the price? What is “worth”? Isn’t that subjective?

My point is that “worth” is determined by the buyer. Evidently they ARE worth the price since people buy them. ;) It is easy for anyone to point out half a dozen products on the market that they feel is not worth the price people pay for them, but if the market supports the price, that is what determines actual worth.
my point was that what ive heard is that it is a slight increase in performance over a phantom, but for anyone without a million dollar sallary that small performance increase isnt worth a double in price. if it is worth the price to someone, its probably just cause its dye and it looks sweet. and no, if people buy them it DOESNT mean that its worth the price. a lot of people make purchases and then arent happy with them. so obviously it wasnt worth the price to them, but they still bought it.

MarkM
06-22-2004, 06:05 PM
Whilst the older Carters may be better in function, for many of you to only compare the Carter to a Phantom and talk about the money saving is a little short sighted as the Phantom is still made, where as many pumps that were the equal if not better than a Phantom are no longer around.

In no particular order

Grey Ghost (saw one on ebay last week but spares would be a problem)
Line SI Bushmaster
Sterling (might still be around but the company has changed names at least 3 times)
Sniper II

Spaceman613
06-22-2004, 06:06 PM
Well, its still less expensive than the vast majority of guns on this forum isnt it? I had a buzzard, liked it alot, but made a sc sniper instead. More my style.

I will buy another Carter eventually, They are superb markers, Not for everyone, but then again, neither is a mag ;)

Maybe I just like to own quality markers, that look good too.

ZapTheMad
06-22-2004, 08:22 PM
Any piece of equipment is only worth what someone will pay for it. :)

SpecialBlend2786
06-22-2004, 09:23 PM
Any piece of equipment is only worth what someone will pay for it. :)
agreed :)