PDA

View Full Version : Wood still flies....

shartley
06-23-2004, 12:54 PM
Yes, I am still busy working away. I am actually back logged and the waiting list keeps growing.

For you PPS lovers out there, here is some eye candy for you… The Beauty IS the Beast!

http://www.gbsu-usa.net/shartleycustoms/customer/nt1.jpg
http://www.gbsu-usa.net/shartleycustoms/customer/nt2.jpg
http://www.gbsu-usa.net/shartleycustoms/customer/nt3.jpg
http://www.gbsu-usa.net/shartleycustoms/customer/nt4.jpg

OysterBoy
06-23-2004, 12:56 PM
Hawt.

Bolter
06-23-2004, 12:59 PM
:wow: wow :wow:

OysterBoy
06-23-2004, 01:18 PM
Those wood panels would be so tight on Bad Dogs Y-Frame....

:rofl:

Eskimo Paint Slinger
06-23-2004, 01:31 PM
Not my style, but nice grips none the less! Great job!

vonort
06-23-2004, 01:42 PM
That is just pure Beauty. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Don't know if you still have me on the waiting list. '03 cocker, Hinge double trigger? I think i sent you an email about 6 months ago about it. Would love to get some of your grips on my baby. :dance:

elpimpo
06-23-2004, 01:48 PM
those are pretty dope. you ever think of making them for pistols, i personally only like rubber grips but those are pretty sexy

shartley
06-23-2004, 03:20 PM
Thanks guys.

And for those who may be on the waiting list, make sure you check back with me in about 2 months.

As for pistol grips (standard firearms), yes, I can do them as well. There are however, shipping issues since I don’t have a FFL. So the firearms would have to be shipped between gun dealers.

ojhspyro89
06-23-2004, 04:31 PM
:wow: wow :wow:_

rpm07
06-23-2004, 04:32 PM
Very Nice Sam

magking1971
06-23-2004, 04:36 PM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Palmers :argh:
Would it be ok with the shipping people to just ship the grip frame? you know not the recever or barell?
It is off my Ruger and always wondered about that.

evan123
06-23-2004, 04:48 PM
Wood grips make it look kind of gross in my opinion. Takes all the focus of the gun and my eyes automatically look there.

magking1971
06-23-2004, 04:49 PM
Gun and grips can be seen in this thread HERE. (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=134222&highlight=PS2)

shartley
06-23-2004, 05:16 PM
Thanks folks.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Palmers :argh:
Would it be ok with the shipping people to just ship the grip frame? you know not the recever or barell?
It is off my Ruger and always wondered about that.
Since I don’t really deal in that, I would suggest contacting the USPS and asking them.

Wood grips make it look kind of gross in my opinion. Takes all the focus of the gun and my eyes automatically look there.
Wood grips are not for everyone. Neither is this particular composite wood. But on that note, the owner of this marker also owns a standard Typhoon (one barrel), and these grips were actually made for the Typhoon.

He needed the marker to play with on July 1st, so asked if I could put the grips on the Nasty and ship it so he can use it (he really wanted to use the grips). Hey, no problem!

I will now be finishing up a matching foregrip (to replace the plastic one on it now) for the Typhoon and then he will ship the Nasty back to me. I will then transfer the grips back to the Typhoon and ship it back… with matching grips and foregrip. And then I begin on the Nasty for earnest!

The nasty will be getting front wrap grips that extend into a stock, and a matching foregrip (out of the same wood as shown here).

Again, this type of work is not for everyone, and I understand that….. and actually like that fact. ;)

Thanks for the comments though.

1stdeadeye
06-23-2004, 05:28 PM
Looks very nice. How heavy is that marker? Looks like a beast! :headbang:

shartley
06-24-2004, 04:39 AM
Looks very nice. How heavy is that marker? Looks like a beast! :headbang:
Thanks… and it IS a beast, but that is not a bad thing. :D

I just tossed it on the postal scale and it is about 4.5 LBS. Now add two metal elbows, two motorized hoppers, and air tank. HeeHee

SpecialBlend2786
06-24-2004, 01:31 PM
i love the grips. What wood did you use!?

shartley
06-24-2004, 02:15 PM
i love the grips. What wood did you use!?
Thank you. It is a composite wood called “Santa Fe”.

Smitty2k1
06-24-2004, 04:18 PM
It would be pretty easy to just plane down two contrasting colors of wood, glue them together, and then hand carve it too. It does look nice, great craftsmanship.

shartley
06-24-2004, 05:10 PM
It would be pretty easy to just plane down two contrasting colors of wood, glue them together, and then hand carve it too. It does look nice, great craftsmanship.
In theory almost anything is “easy”. ;) But that is why so many people don’t DO a lot of things, and a lot of things are not done by everyone. :D

About this wood…. It is not simply stacked and glued wood. It is stacked and glued and then cut so that the layers are at an angle through the wood. It is really interesting stuff. Some of the other composites I have are not only stacked and cut at angles, but also the wood is woven in a zig zag pattern as well. I tell you, I would certainly not want to do that myself. LOL I will stick to carving it. ;)

But thank you. They are super comfortable.

bleachit
06-24-2004, 05:54 PM
I will then transfer the grips back to the Typhoon and ship it back… with matching grips and foregrip. And then I begin on the Nasty for earnest!

The nasty will be getting front wrap grips that extend into a stock, and a matching foregrip (out of the same wood as shown here).

Please tell me you will be posting pics when these are done! I imagine they will be looking very nice.

shartley
06-24-2004, 06:20 PM
Please tell me you will be posting pics when these are done! I imagine they will be looking very nice.
Sure. I can do that.

penguinpunk555
06-24-2004, 07:39 PM
SPLOOGE!

That is hot!
I usualy hate wood.

Muzikman
06-24-2004, 07:47 PM
Nice grips, they always make a Palmer look "pretty" :)

My question, and it's not really for you Sam, but why the heck did they hack off the trigger guard and put on the big honk'n thing.

shivors
06-24-2004, 08:00 PM
Much respect for the talent...just does nothing for me.

tony3
06-24-2004, 08:51 PM
How exactly do you carve those? What kind of tools.

shartley
06-25-2004, 05:00 AM
Thanks guys. Now to answer some questions…

My question, and it's not really for you Sam, but why the heck did they hack off the trigger guard and put on the big honk'n thing.
I actually put that new trigger guard on it for the owner (ordered from PPS). The marker WAS a converted double trigger. The owner then converted back to a single. When the marker got to me, it still had the double trigger guard on it… now THAT was pretty bad.

So we put the single trigger replacement guard on it.

How exactly do you carve those? What kind of tools.
I have a full compliment of tools, from table saw, band saw, router, dremel, belt sander, disc sander, drum sander, files, chisels, two drill presses, checkering kit (got some projects coming with extensive checkering), you name it. I use the best tool for whatever application I am needing done. And then I hand sand it all and do the finish work.