PDA

View Full Version : why the bad blood

frontrunner
06-24-2004, 07:55 PM
I am pretty new to the mag world however, I have been playing paintball for many years now and it is no secret there is some bad blood between some mag and cocker people. I am just wondering if anyone knows why. I am a psych major so spare me the “people are ignorant” stuff. I just wonder if I there was an event of something of that nature that started it or if the different nature of the 2 guns attracts 2 different styles of player. I know its dumb because many people own both mags and cockers but I am just interested in a little history if anyone knows it

coolcatpete
06-24-2004, 07:57 PM
A long time ago in the 90's they were both the nicest shooting markers around so they became rivals. There were your mag shooters and then the cocker shooters. I personaly like both so I have both. :shooting:
Pete

shivors
06-24-2004, 07:57 PM
They are both so in awe of the Spyder owners pwnage that they bash each other?

Just a theory.

ronin
06-24-2004, 08:00 PM
i own both personaly but i think it stems form the days when the cocker and mag where the only 2 turny quality markers on the marker ...... kind of sibling rivalry

penguinpunk555
06-24-2004, 08:06 PM
They are both so in awe of the Spyder owners pwnage that they bash each other?

Just a theory.

This made me giggle. I know you love your spyders, but they suck.

The Spanish Inquisition
06-24-2004, 08:39 PM
people enjoy the gratification of knowing that their maker is the "best". It is an ego thing. It also lets them be part of a group. You can see the same thing in almost every "adult toy" market out there. The ford/mopar/chevy rivalry didn't come into it's full glory until the 50's when people began to regularly modify and race street cars. You don't see too many threads debating which is better "COKE or PEPSI" but when people devote a large amout of money and time into something they tend to identify themselves with it .

Or,,,, it could be that mags are just soo much better than anything else out there and we are just trying to make sure everyone knows.

tyrion2323
06-24-2004, 08:42 PM
This made me giggle. I know you love your spyders, but they suck.

not....really....

FallNAngel
06-24-2004, 08:45 PM
They chop tons of paint, they kick like a mule and they smell bad

gibby
06-24-2004, 09:00 PM
Like someone said, mags and cockers were the choices if you wanted a competative marker. In time, people would invest a lot of money on their set up to improve performance and/or make it look unique. I think it's natural for someone to become attached to their investment and can become defensive against the other. Soon, everyone would point out the flaws and use that for their argument against the other party.

With paintball becoming somewhat of an ego trip, younger players being influenced by the two parties, ignorance kicks in and the fire grows.

I've shot both markers and I find that each one has unique qualities that make them shine. Right now, the only reason I favor one over the other is based on familiarity.

FSU_Paintball
06-25-2004, 10:47 AM
It was said earlier... it goes back to a few years ago, when mags and cockers were on top of the market (as mechanical markers). People went back and forth forever on which one was superior... the argument was that cockers shoot much nicer, but mags were much more reliable.

Of course, now that you've got timmies angels and matrices that shoot 25BPS+, you've got a large group of people who look down their nose at both mags AND cockers :p

The mag vs cocker debate was probably the biggest paintball argument you could start... not so much now. Things have changed.

Bulldog
06-25-2004, 11:08 AM
Like someone said before, it stems from the earlys 90's when the two were the only decent tourney guns around. There's a few threads here if you search, that have some good content on this issue.

You can see the same thing in almost every "adult toy" market out there.

:rofl:

I'm trying very hard not to make a childish comment about this sentance.... :D

ojhspyro89
06-25-2004, 12:06 PM
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ I was thinking the same thing bulldog, i thought he was giong to start naming off steely dans!!!!!!!