PDA

View Full Version : THE Marker to have!!?

sbays
06-26-2004, 09:40 PM
Hello all,

Just getting back into the game, and things have changed a bit since I played last (8 years ago). I would like some suggestions on what markers you guys think are "The Best" must have markers.

Have been looking at the e-mag and the x-mag. Could someone tell me the difference between these two? Money isnt a problem for me, i just want to start out the right way. any other suggestions as far as air systems, loaders (this warp feed looks intereting) etc would be great. Thanks guys! Nice to meet ya all!

The Action Figure
06-26-2004, 09:44 PM
warp feed is nice, but its also a bit heavy. X-mags look super cool, but are a little pricy. Id go with the e-mag, Halo, Crossfire 68/4500

TeamNausea
06-26-2004, 09:46 PM
Hmm... The Dm4 most timmys(alias empire ND Dark) Most matrixes ehh ill think of more later.
I think the main diffs are (unless its a sfl) Is a removable breach a lil bit of milling and an ace system(i think)

coolcatpete
06-26-2004, 09:47 PM
Welcome to AO.
Pete

Steelrat
06-26-2004, 09:49 PM
Welcome to AO.

If you post where you live, you could meet up with some people and try different guns out. Its mostly about personal preference. I prefer Vikings and Excaliburs, myself ;)

Xyxyll
06-26-2004, 09:49 PM
The Dye DM4, AGD E/Xmag, WDP A4's, new Bob Long Intimidators, and the Mac-Dev Cyborgs are my favorite "to have" markers.

sbays
06-26-2004, 09:53 PM
Oh, by the way ... I am in the Los angeles area!

Steelrat
06-26-2004, 10:01 PM
Plenty of AO members in So Cal. If they see this post, hopefully they will be able to meet up with you and at least let you try a few guns out.

Whats your price range, anyways?

Lohman446
06-26-2004, 10:12 PM
The X mag is in essence a fancy e-mag with an Anti-chop eye - level 10 is 95% effective in stopping chops, but the eye is nice to have I would think. Currently trying to find someone to ACE my E-mag. Other than that they are performance wise basically identical (weight less on the X though). The price for an all ULE e-mag (including a ULE body) was about $850 - you are getting a top of the line gun that will keep up with the Timmies, the DM4s, etc along with AGD quality. The trigger is magnetic with an HES sensor, so in theory is infinitely adjustable to make it how you want it. Mine is very awesome, but most I have held are not as good as mine, nor do they come that way stock. I have been told that my marker is the fastest many people have ever held.

At Chicago Open everyone and there brother seemed to be buying a DM4 of some type. Nice guns, though I have heard getting the bounce out of them can be tricky. At $1400 or so it seems over priced. I think you can get a similarly performing marker for less.

There were a lot of nice Timmies - though the line to have Timmies teched seemed to be there all the time, i know nothing of them myself and they seemed to be very quick on the field. The $1500 price seemed out of hand on these.

The other gun seemed to be the SP Shocker. First off I don't buy SP products myself for reasons involving there business practices, but do not doubt their quality. The 04 Shockers with Vision (there anti-chop system) were going for $700-$800 which seems to be a very very good price for a high end marker. I will say, watching Strange (I think) on the field with a Shocker it was the fastest shooting marker (under field conditions) I have ever seen. In addition it has a single tube design, and is quite a compact marker for its performance (much like a mag). If I could agree with their business practices a Shocker would be one of the top two guns I would chose, that or an E/X-Mag. And it would be a very hard decision to make. SP seems to have stronger tournament support (though the AGD guys were great, they had one small booth well SP had a huge trailer with tables and X-boxes set up around it - not to meniton Dynasty, Strange, the Philly All Americans etc.). There are also various Impulses out there, but I think that the Shocker is the better gun of the two.

What I didn't see was a lot of e-blade cockers running around, they have a bounce issue that is hard to get rid of I know. The Karnivore, which is very very light is an awesome gun, but noone seemed to be buying them like the DM4 and Timmies - I did not even see a WGP presence there, though Planet Eclipse, maker of the e-blade did have a small booth.

Other markers of note, as stated above. The AKA Viking is a nice marker, though support for it is less than what you will get for a Mag. They are also available only used and you want to avoid the WAS board as a general rule for problems it had.

Its hard to say, but if I was looking at new marker, and price made little difference (though I would always look for value) it would boil down to two. Now understand, I am answering a question without politics - I do not support SP or K2 at this point and time - so although i have SP products in there I am recommending only on quality. I do not think SP is good for paintball in general.

Places 1 and 2 - can't decide
The E/X mag
SP shocker

Place 3
DM4

Place 4
Intimidator (whatever design floats your boat)

Place 5
Viking

Place 6
E-bladed cocker of some type - Karnivore

sbays
06-26-2004, 10:23 PM
Plenty of AO members in So Cal. If they see this post, hopefully they will be able to meet up with you and at least let you try a few guns out.

Whats your price range, anyways?

dont have a price range ... meaning, I can afford whatever I want. No i am not rich, but am able to afford my hobbies. ;P

as far as gas, al we used back when was C02 ... now there is nitrogen, compressed air etc. Can someone name some pros and cons for these? I really need to find a good retailer with a nice selection, so any suggestions there would be great!

ryanshep
06-26-2004, 10:36 PM
since air is mainly nitrogen, they are the same thing (compressed air and Nitrogen),

Pros: They dont screw up ur high end marker

cons:.....cant think of any

but in any case dont use co2

The Action Figure
06-26-2004, 10:37 PM
nitro is alot more consistant that co2, and will never freeze on you

Shykicker
06-26-2004, 10:56 PM
Well, nitro tanks are more expensive, of course, and they take a bit more space to get the same ammount of shots. Weight, however, isn't really an issue, so long as you get a fiber wrapped tank. Also, CO2 doesn't play well in cold weather, but that doesn't sound like it's a problem where you are. :D Nitro's big selling point is that it's more consistant, meaning you can chrono your gun higher (without having to worry about the spiking shot velocities DQing you), and your shot spread will be noticably thinner. Which is all because compressed air is never liquid in the tank, like CO2, so temperature, rapid firing, and other variables don't effect it. If you have no upper spending limit, just go nitro. It plays so much better. I'd reccomend any reasonable size tank, so long as it's 4500 psi. Wouldn't really bother with 5000 psi because few places fill that high, and it's not a huge diffirence in capacity.

mixwell2
06-26-2004, 10:57 PM
Most of the "high-end" markers "electros" will do you fine. Steelrat is correct it all comes down to what feels good in your hands. DM4s, Angels, and Timmys, seem to be the in markers now with the DM4 and the Timmy the most popular. Getting a X-mag will deffinetly make you stand out as well as give you a great company behind it. Regardless of what you get Compressed Air is the way to go.
As for the Warp feed...i love mine but it is a love it or hate it. It does add weight and is tricky when sliding face first. .
Alot has changed in the last 8 years. You may not want to spend the cash even if you have it. Have you thought about getting a mechanical marker like a cocker or a RT.
I would recommend spending the $500 or so on a RT mag.

I am not sure if I am gonna make it to SC tommorrow but for sure next week. Email me next week and you can try out the warp on a mech mag. The guys in the group have shockers, cockers, and a DM4 and I am sure you could try them too.

Good Luck.

shorty13
06-27-2004, 07:21 AM
new guns on the market that you may be interested in the atomix intimidator, freeflow shocker, possiblky the shocktech matrix, DM4, dark timmy( :mad: ).

now all of these guns are very nice :hail: but if you are looking for a good deal the dye matrix is awesome. it is about 825 plus shipping and all you need is maybe a new reg and a barrel. i am looking into buying one after i do some work this summer prolly purchasing mine around late august early september. :dance:

tony3
06-27-2004, 08:09 AM
If you want "the best" Most people are going to say either DM4, or a Timmy for ease of avalabilty and if something breaks down, very easy to find a tech to fix it. A timmy is a bob long intimidator, they come in the old style and the new 2004 style. If you want to buy new then get a 2004 model, the 2004 models come in various different guns that basically very by the milling, they are the empire, alias, dark, atomix, and russian legion. Just search for these guns on the internet or around here on AO and you'll find some info about them. The dm4 is a matrix style gun with an awesome body. These guns are quiet and have really low kick. They come in 2 models right now, the dm4 and the shocktech dm4. Right now, the shocktech dm4 is just a dm4 with a new body, hopefully this will change in the future. Those are the 2 guns I'd suggest if you want better info go to www.pbnation.com and look in the bob long and dye forums, whatever you do on that site, stay away from small talk and pb talk forums, it'll make you stupid :tard:

shartley
06-27-2004, 08:24 AM
“THE” marker to have depends on a lot of factors. What air source do you want to use, what BPS rate do you want, what style of game and play do you want to do, what “style” of marker do you like (visuals), what price range do you want, do you want the latest FAD marker, and other factors.

The best marker, or “the” marker is as subjective as what the best car or “the” car is.

JKR
06-27-2004, 08:26 AM
Right now "the marker" the I desire is the Palmer Blazer. Good ROF, accurate out of the box, great customer service, reliable, small in size and weight and dead sexy. Plus it is CO2 tolerant--a very good plus for a rec baller like myself that doesn't have access to full HPA fills but has a CO2 fill station in the basement.

behemoth
06-27-2004, 08:31 AM
twib

GT
06-27-2004, 09:27 AM
Welcome to AO.

If you post where you live, you could meet up with some people and try different guns out. Its mostly about personal preference. I prefer Vikings and Excaliburs, myself ;)

:headbang: :headbang:

BKO's are good guns too.

jesseyo13
06-27-2004, 09:46 AM
A4 fly. I would take that over a dm4 anyday. Eyes, lcd, debounce settings, effecient, low presure and realllly fast.

JKR
06-27-2004, 10:36 AM
twib

Huh? You callin' me a twib? :nono:

Probably been playing 'ball longer than you have been drawing a breath and never played in a tourney. :)

behemoth
06-27-2004, 11:15 AM
Not you...

SlipknotX556
06-27-2004, 12:39 PM
I would go with ethier a Alias timmy or a DM4.

greg
06-27-2004, 12:43 PM
viking. nothing else.... viking... well maybe an x mag.. but id take a viking

abunkerer
06-27-2004, 10:07 PM
dm4's are supersmooth and really fast, also the new style intimidators like the Alias are awesome, and sadly the smart farts shockers.

Went to 3 days of the CHicago open and those were defiantely guns to have. I didnt see any other Xball teams using anything other than those, and they were ripping!

Inoculation
06-28-2004, 12:09 AM
I would suggest staying away from the dm4 and any "timmy". De bounce is the only was those guns rail. Any of you noobers that think differently should call up Mr. Long at the "Timmy Factory" and ask him why the need for the new board with bounce restrictors.....

Honestly it depends on what you are going to play. Rec ball is a whole different animal than speed or X ball these days. If your gonna play rec, I would recomend one of AGD's ule RT Pros, and yes you will need a compressed air system, may I suggest a 68/4500 minimum. That air system goes for any high end marker anyways these days, the only thing you may need to worry about is preset pressure, but I run all my guns on 850psi preset (mags need the high pressure to function properly).

If you plan on playing speed, X, or tournament ball I would suggest an X-mag (if you can find 1) or an Angel fly. The others, dm4, timmys, and such just have too much "bounce" e-class cockers are great but suffer from the same problem.

As for (Smart) Sh*t Parts, do us all a favor and just ignore anything and everything that bears that emblem

I play with an X-mag and a new Angel Fly and love them both, at times I struggle with what I want to use. The warp feed is not really needed unless you plan on hanging upside down out of a tree while you try to rail whatever you may be shooting. As for loaders, I've tried them all, I use a halo B and an evo II right now, but am just about to trash the halo. The egg or evolution II with the z board is plenty fast for ANY tourney legal gun. Any sally out there that outshoots his egg needs to get off the De-bounce bandwagon and learn some skills.

Oh yeah, if you do buy a mag E or X and you do play some tournaments, make sure you run it on the full electric mode. The manual reactive trigger is illegal at most santioned events, yes this means manual and hybrid modes kids (but oh how I love my gun in hybrid mode :hail: )

Buy AGD or WDP, screw the rest. These two companies are all about quality, customer support, and honesty, not what the next big trend is going to be, or how fast can we make our guns if we add just a little more de-boune

If you want quality, use these two companies. If you want to be a sheep and follow the heard off a blind cliff...........well be my guest.

No sKiLLz
06-28-2004, 01:15 PM
Welcome to AO and welcome to SoCal. We play almost every weekend out here and we have plenty of hook ups for pretty much anything you want. I will respond to your e-mail later today, and the next outing is probably not this weekend (everyones gone for 4th of July) but the weekend after. We will have plenty of guns for you to try (DM4, A4, NYX/Trauma Matrix, Featherlite Viking, Alias, etc.) and we will be videotaping as well. Talk to you soon.

Duke Henry
06-28-2004, 01:29 PM
I have a regular DM3 (basically a plain jane version of the DM4), and I can rip on that much faster than my teammate can rail on his 03 eye-equipped Shocker. That is without any bounce or fancy settings.

I like the gun because I only open it up to lube it every 20k shots or so, which is about once a month which is much easier to maintain than my Emag which I would open up and lube after every practice...which is a contributing factor in my decision to sell my Emag...

Pretty much any of the guns listed here will do you fine, as long as you can work the trigger and like the feel of the gun!

Happy hunting!

RtDaNiMaL
06-28-2004, 02:08 PM
here is the setup i would go with...

1: x-mag (by agd) or DM4 (by Dye) $1200- $1400
2: 68 cubic inch 4500 p.s.i. crossfire tank. $169
3: halo reloader hopper at about 25 bps. $120
4: dye Rhino tank cover. $24
5: any drop foward
6: dye 04 pants and jersey, very padded and nice. $150
7: adidas cleats. $20- $120
8: dye ultra-lite 2 piece barrel. $110

total: about $1870.
good luck picking out a goot setup. :shooting:

RtDaNiMaL
06-28-2004, 02:10 PM
o ya and pods with a pack about $80.

so total is around $2000

FragTek
06-28-2004, 02:56 PM
Definately check out Mac Developments new gun, the Cyborg....

After shooting every friggin' electro gat I can now say that this is the hottest marker on the market. And for only $980 ready to slay muppets right out of the box, it makes this gun a bargain too!

Peep some pix, specs, reviews, etc. on this market at www.cyborgowner.com

trevorjk
06-28-2004, 03:08 PM
here is the setup i would go with...

1: x-mag (by agd) or DM4 (by Dye) $1200- $1400
2: 68 cubic inch 4500 p.s.i. crossfire tank. $169
3: halo reloader hopper at about 25 bps. $120
4: dye Rhino tank cover. $24
5: any drop foward
6: dye 04 pants and jersey, very padded and nice. $150
7: adidas cleats. $20- $120
8: dye ultra-lite 2 piece barrel. $110

total: about $1870.
good luck picking out a goot setup. :shooting:

hrm dye whore?

as for barrels im not going to say dye barrels are bad because infact they are nice barrels but you can get the same axact thing with a 45$ Lapco (http://www.lapcopaintball.com/) o or a 35$ J&J (http://www.jjperformance.com/ceramic.html) but if you really want there are about a bazillion different barrel kit makers out there... i personally would say look into lapco or J&J but theres others but ill let some one else look into that

pants and jersey... well ermm... not needed. a nice pair of loose fitting pants that you feal comortable will work fine. unless you plan on sliding and jumping and getting wicked. in that case i would say spend upwards 100$ on a pair of paintball pants other wise there not needed. jerseys... well get a hockey jersey for half the price if you MUST have a jersey.

dye rhino tank cover.... you can get a basic black one for about 5-10$ new

and i honestly wouldnt recommend and X-Mag as an E-Mag is the same thing but with out eyes and fancy milling... and a brand new E-Mag will be less then a grand.

as for other guns i would also suggest a ICD (www.icdpaintball.com) B2K2 with PDS around 500 and will serve its purpose just fine and shoots very fast.

if you would like to stay a little cheaper you could also get the PMI (http://www.pminetwork.com/piranha3.html) EVO wich is fairly quick with eyes. trigger is a little sloppy but it is a nice gun and its only $300

but if your going to go high end i would only recommend AGD and AKA although AKA does not make the Viking anymore so you would either have to get them used off of forums or maybe check out Destructive Customs (http://www.destructivecustoms.com/) or the Immortal series Viking (http://ontargetentertainment.com/Immortal/index2.htm) or you can check out some retailers out there to see if they have any vikings like this site (http://www.yeppers-llc.com/) ... other wise there is a world of other stuff you can look at such as Intimidator (http://www.empirepaintball.com/html/empiretimmy.asp) Angels (http://www.wdp.tv/) Matrix (http://www.toxicperformance.com/) and although i hate todo this a Shocker (http://www.smartparts.com/Products/Shocker.aspx) and a very nice UP'ed Impulse (http://www.shocktechusa.com/pages/mrk_imp.html) there are others out there but those are the bigger companies out there and most widely know markers... oh almost forgot the Cyborg (http://www.macdev.net/us/cyborg.htm)

i hope this helps but as you can see start up is still expensive and well the paint prices have fallen alot in the last 8 years but it can get expensice from usualy 30-100 per case